TO snubs HOF induction Ceremony

2,600 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Gotta admit...this is such a TO move that I actually like it.
Ag_07
AG
I think it's a pecker move and pretty typical of TO.
BMX Bandit
how does one celebrate going into the Hall of Fame anywhere other than the Hall of Fame?

Bunk Moreland
BMX Bandit said:

how does one celebrate going into the Hall of Fame anywhere other than the Hall of Fame?

I don't know. It's just such a TO response to being "snubbed" for however many years before getting in. The most fitting way to enter the hall for him.
Bruce Almighty
AG
He'll be busy working out in his driveway.
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

With talk of a comeback I'm assuming he's strapped for cash.

I would guess he'll have some party at a club and sell tickets, VIP packages, etc.
W
AG
I like this move
BMX Bandit
My money is is "agree to show up after public & private pleas".
Max Power
AG
I have no idea what the reasoning is for a move like this. He recently tweeted at the 49ers about a comeback at the veteran minimum, it's not happening. Getting into the HOF is a huge accomplishment, to turn down the chance to go to your enshrinement is just ridiculous. It's my favorite part of the preseason, so many great speeches over the years. I think he's been broke for a while, but no reason to turn this down.

Perhaps he couldn't find anyone to induct him, maybe he's burned all those bridges.
Ag_07
AG
Max Power said:

I have no idea what the reasoning is for a move like this.

I do...He feels slighted that he wasn't inducted when first eligible so he's giving the middle finger to the HOF and the voters. So stupid and petty.

Say a speech, sign some autographs, smile for the camera, and just go. The HOF is more than just wearing a gold jacket. But once again TO wants the attention and feels he needs to make it about himself.

We shouldn't be surprised he's acting like a child.

And the irony is that it's crap like this that he wasn't voted in on the first ballot. He's just giving the voters validation.
bonfarr
AG
Does he have a problem delivering a speech in front of large crowds? The guy has emotional issues I wonder if he has anxiety problems.
Bunk Moreland
No. It's a direct reaction to him being snubbed the last few years while the nation debated if it's right to leave one of the best 5 wr's in NFL history out of the HOF because he wasn't a good teammate.

And he's reacting in exactly the way you'd expect him too.

Though it would also be very TO to show up and he t pity love for doing so, but my guess is neither side wants to give in.
BMX Bandit
Hall of Fame wants TO there
Fans want TO there

Writers that voted don't give a flip if he shows or not.

Way to show them TO!
Mike Elko
AG
TO's always been a POS... At least he's consistent.
Furlock Bones
AG
Huge POS.
mavsfan4ever
AG
It may be a money issue. I think he's dead broke and would probably get a lot of requests from family/friends (if he has friends). They would probably expect him to pay for lodging, flights, and throw a big party. Maybe he's a little embarrassed that he doesn't have the money to do all that.

He should still go but i can see how that would be embarrassing and may make him decide to just not go.
redag06
Just posted a video of himself running a 4.4 40, which is faster than most of the kids at combine.
BBQ4Me
AG
Hand timed
_lefraud_
AG
TO will give his induction speech on the campus of UT-Chattanooga which is pretty cool. I'm good with it.
Doug Ross
AG
F T.O.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bunk Moreland
This is playing out exactly as you'd expect.

MelvinUdall
Bunk Moreland said:

This is playing out exactly as you'd expect.

I doubt TO cares, still think it is a b**** move not to go, but clearly TO gives zero f***s.
W
AG
the hall of fame is very proud of itself.

and the power they hold over the players even after their careers are finished
BMX Bandit
If you know anything about TO, then you know he will absolutely care a great deal about this. He's extremely sensitive person.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm curious how the HOF handles everything. Will they have a bust done? Will they mail him a jacket? Maybe they'll just hang a pic of him in some random corner in Canton?
BMX Bandit
jacket being mailed to him & bust will be made.
Bunk Moreland
_lefraud_ said:

I'm curious how the HOF handles everything. Will they have a bust done? Will they mail him a jacket? Maybe they'll just hang a pic of him in some random corner in Canton?

Heard a NFL writer from some publication on the radio yesterday and he said they will mail him a jacket (lots of reporters are asking about the details). I think they'll have a bust made and put in the HOF but just no public endorsement or anything at the event.

His argument is that it was a win-win for both sides. TO gets more attention for his speech he'll deliver before, and the NFL's argument is to not let TO get in the way of the guys who will be there and getting enshrined.

I sort of disagree. I think the best move the HOF could have made was start the night with a shortened video package with highlights and some things his peers say about him, show the stats and the normal drill(just not as long). Then just have the PA guy announce that the HOF is proud to welcome Terrell Owens to the HOF. No bust on display or anything, but at least an acknowledgment. Then go right into the other guys.

The argument against that is that then it sets a precedent that you don't have to show up and you can still get acknowledged, and in the future others may do the same. I don't know who else wouldn't show up so I think it's silly, and classic dick measuring by the HOF guys who got upset that TO did a very TO thing. Both sides coming off as petty, which is exactly what you'd expect.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think it's petty on the HOFs part at all.

The point of the ceremony is to celebrate those who are there. Why talk about and celebrate someone who isn't there? Make no mention of him at all over the entire weekend, make his bust and put it up in Canton like you normally would if he were there. Just no mention of him.

TO made this bed. If he shows up the HOF rolls out the red carpet and treats just like the others.
Bunk Moreland
whether you or I agree with it or not, he views it that the HOF started it by snubbing him for 2 years while every major media outlet floated "should he get in even though he wasn't a good teammate" fodder during this time of year. In the end, it's the perfect bookend to his career in the NFL.
Ag_07
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

In the end, it's the perfect bookend to his career in the NFL.

No doubt

I just find it ironic that the entire reason he was 'snubbed' was for shlt just like this. He's just showing everyone that they were right.

If he really wanted to show his displeasure he should just go, be cool about it, and then stand up and give a speech that rips everyone.
MelvinUdall
Ag_07 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

In the end, it's the perfect bookend to his career in the NFL.

No doubt

I just find it ironic that the entire reason he was 'snubbed' was for shlt just like this. He's just showing everyone that they were right.

If he really wanted to show his displeasure he should just go, be cool about it, and then stand up and give a speech that rips everyone.

The self importance that NFL writers place on themselves is disgusting and the fact they were debating putting him based on him being a good teammate is disgusting as well. I am not defending TO, but these writers are piece of work.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I basically agree with the approach mentioned above. I don't think you spend more than 1-2 minutes on him, but I wouldn't pretend that he doesn't exist. That seems incredibly petty and wallowing in the childish mud with him vs. taking the high road. I'd do it at the end of the inductions that are present. Brief highlight reel and a PA announcement congratulating/welcoming him to the HOF. Every other award show on the planet announces the winner even if not in attendance. That would take no focus away from the guys that are there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.