Cheerleaders suing NFL

4,058 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by _lefraud_
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess you've all heard they have a Code of Conduct (like many professions), so this Saints cheerleader got fired for breaking the code by posting an Instagram photo of her in a nighty (forbidden) and being seen at a party with a Saints player, It goes on with some other issues, not really my point here.

I've always heard that NFL cheerleaders can't date players, been seen out with them etc. My questions is simply....why? They really think players at this level would get so distracting by seeing their girl shaking it that it would effect their performance? That player ain't gonna make it then anyway.
Ag_07
AG
A) So what are they suing for?

B) Post the damn pictures
BMX Bandit
Has nothing to do with players being distracted.

A cheerleader bring passed around the locker room like a pin cushion is the look they are trying to avoid
Matsui
AG
https://www.instagram.com/jacalynbailey/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_ufi_test&action=profilevisit
Aust Ag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

A cheerleader bring passed around the locker room like a pin cushion is the look they are trying to avoid
As opposed to other girls? What's the difference? They want to be treated "equally". That's a big part of the EOC complaint.
BMX Bandit
Aust Ag said:

BMX Bandit said:

As opposed to other girls? What's the difference? They want to be treated "equally". That's a big part of the EOC complaint.

You don't see a difference between the look of a team cheerleader being passed around vs a random off the street?

Ag_07
AG
Such a weird thread. I don't know if he's complaining about the policy, the lawsuit, the action of the players, or the action of the cheerleaders.

I have no clue what's going on in here
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The rule against dating players usually extends to not dating anyone in the organization. Along with the reasons listed in posts above, it has a lot to do with avoiding any claims of favoritism (elections of officers, other positions, future tryouts, appearance opportunities, photo shoots, etc). The players part is emphasized because of old school dance/cheer rules that claim it's not ladylike. Of course, that was before the days of dressing like *****s on the sidelines.
mts6175
AG
The rule exist to keep the NFL and teams from being sued for workplace harassment.

Of course now they're being sued anyways.....
bonfarr
AG
Slu t shaming is considered a bad thing these days. Poor skanks need protection.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't know if I'm alone in this thought, but I really don't get the need to pay cheerleaders ***** There is so much of a supply of girls that will do it, and, at the end of the day, they really aren't important to the game. If they completely got rid of cheerleaders, the average NFL fan might be sad about it for a week before completely forgetting about it.

Where do they think their leverage is?
Aust Ag
AG
Well these days just the simple fact that they are women.
MSCAg
AG
Aust Ag said:

BMX Bandit said:

Teams don't want to look like they hire cheerleaders to be players sex toys.
lostrg
Cheerleaders should realize they're there for eye candy and nothing else
OCEN99
AG
From r/nfl this morning: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

expresswrittenconsent
Aust Ag said:

Where the eff do they get the nerve to expect to be treated equally with men?
dcaggie04
AG
OCEN99 said:

From r/nfl this morning: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

Sounds like the NYT is up to their old BS stories again. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-washington-cheerleaders-dispute-allegations-of-costa-rica-trip/ar-AAwKjdP?ocid=spartandhp
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Aust Ag said:

Where the eff do they get the nerve to expect to be treated equally with men?

What are you talking about? What male NFL cheerleaders are being treated better?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The rule exist to keep the NFL and teams from being sued for workplace harassment.

The rule was in place LONG before this was an issue. The rule existed, at least for Cowboys cheerleaders and likely other teams' that followed, in the beginning. My wife's cousin was a DCC back in the early '80s and it had been longstanding prior to that. There are probably several reasons for the rule -- many mentioned here -- and your's is certainly viable now, but it wasn't an original one. I honestly think that someone just said, "hey, this sounds like a good idea" and that was how it started.

The situation is that when this type of thing occurs, the cheerleader is fired while the player is simply told not to do it again. Do that in any other organization, particularly when females are in the former role and males are in the latter role, and it is definitely a recipe for gender discrimination claims. Assuming these would be valid complaints (and I'm not up on the law in this area), why wouldn't it be valid here?
_lefraud_
AG
Rule 1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.