*****COWBOYS 2018 OFFSEASON*****

114,050 Views | 1555 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

It's that time of year again. NFL Combine in early March and Draft in late April are right around the corner.

Draft Order with Needs
Quote:

19. Dallas Cowboys
Record: 9-7 (.496)
Top needs: TE, DT, CB
The skinny: Jason Witten will turn 36 shortly after the draft and it's time to find the player who'll replace him. Adding a talented defensive tackle who can get upfield could be in play. The Cowboys lack high-end CBs and might look for a top talent at that spot.
The Cowboys have some pretty sharp guys on their Draft Show and get into some in depth scouting/personnel talk.

Doubt we'll do much in the FA market other than tag Lawrence but here's a list of 2018 FA's.
jr15aggie
AG
Heard grumbles in the past and they are popping up again... moving Byron Jones back to CB. So do they try Chido back at safety? Seems counterproductive, Chido played some dang good CB as a rookie once he was healthy.

I'm all for getting your best players on the field, but my faith in the coaching staff is pretty low at the moment. Can't imagine why I feel this way after we payed Tyron Crawford a crap ton of money and then decided to never give him a true position ever again!
Macarthur
I don't think I agree with that quote.

I think TE and CB are a need, but I def don't think they are a top need and certainly not TE. DT is a need and I think S is a bigger need than CB. I also think WR is a much bigger need that many think.
PooDoo
AG
Yeah, Safety, DT, and WR

I'd expect they sign some bargain F/As again to fill some gaps. OTC says they have a little over $19 million in cap space but that's not going to be enough for much after Lawrence and Martin get tied up.

98Ag99Grad
AG
I like Awuzie and Lewis going forward. Hopefully they pan out. Seems like we've needed a safety forever.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I know Romo is still counting against the cap but otherwise not sure why this team can't ever seem to get a grasp of managing the cap. Their QB and star RB are playing on rookie contracts. They have a few other players making good money but not really any other cap busters. We've always heard how Stephen Jones was this amazing cap guru yet every year, they are up against cap trouble.

I'd like to see FA go something like this:

LB (best avail)
WR (speed down field threat)

Draft:

1: DL or LB (best avail)
2: Safety
3: DL or LB (best avail)
4: OL
PooDoo
AG
They have $13.7 dead money this year between Romo, Carrol, and Thornton.
PooDoo
AG
PooDoo
AG
Armani Watts draft profile:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018/02/15/clock-texas-am-safety-armani-watts
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

They have $13.7 dead money this year between Romo, Carrol, and Thornton.

Friggin Eagles man... gotta give them credit the last 2-3 years. They made all the right moves letting go of guys that played pretty good for them, but were really just scrubs... and at the same time they signed guys that other teams threw away and turned them into key contributors.
Southlake
Cowboys need a playmaking tight end.
jr15aggie
AG
Southlake said:

Cowboys need a playmaking tight end.
Not sure if that's a huge priority in comparison to other positions, but you aren't wrong. For the past 2-3 years Witten has pretty much been a catch and get tackled guy. Whenever he does break lose and rumbles down field it's a surprise.

But God Bless that guy... 35 years old at his size and still getting open the way he does, the guy is the greatest Cowboys TE ever and he's in the discussion of greatest all time period.
jr15aggie
AG
We sorta already knew this... but Stephen Jones just said there is no way D-Law isn't going to be a Cowboy next year. Then he went on with the typical speech about possibly getting a deal done, etc... but they will franchise him otherwise.
. . .
Awarded 4 compensatory picks (4-137, 5-171, 5-173, 6-208)

Finalized coaching staff:
PooDoo
AG

Article

Quote:

"Are you kidding me? Did you just ask me that?" scoffed EVP Stephen Jones when faced with the question of if the team would look to find Witten's successor in this year's Draft, via David Helman of DallasCowboys.com. "Every time we've drafted a tight end, Jason Witten has walked into my office and gone 'Another wasted pick'. So I'm not going to start doubting him now. Obviously, Jason Witten is more driven than ever. I'd never bet against him.

jr15aggie
AG
Competition committee unanimously agrees that Dez caught it... will seek rule changes (change the language) to make sure those type of plays are catches in the future.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22596427/nfl-competition-committee-was-unanimous-call-dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-playoff-game-ruled-catch

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jr15aggie said:

Competition committee unanimously agrees that Dez caught it... will seek rule changes (change the language) to make sure those type of plays are catches in the future.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22596427/nfl-competition-committee-was-unanimous-call-dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-playoff-game-ruled-catch

just painful.

should have been a catch at the time - just like the play this year in Super Bowl Ertz took 2 steps then lunged with the ball. fumble recovered by him. Same with Dez.

Pathetic.
jr15aggie
AG
I know we've talked this to death, let it go, etc.... but still... forget the fact that he caught it, took 2 steps, and lunged towards the endzone...

The part that has always baffled me is that I never saw a single angle where that ball made contact with the ground. His arm was under the ball, his arm hits the ground, ball pops up, Dez grabs the ball in mid air and secures the ball all while being fully in-bounds. Ball never hit the ground so how can it be incomplete! At least, there was no 100% proof that it did which is what it takes to overturn the call on the field which was a catch!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jr15aggie said:

I know we've talked this to death, let it go, etc.... but still... forget the fact that he caught it, took 2 steps, and lunged towards the endzone...

The part that has always baffled me is that I never saw a single angle where that ball made contact with the ground. His arm was under the ball, his arm hits the ground, ball pops up, Dez grabs the ball in mid air and secures the ball all while being fully in-bounds. Ball never hit the ground so how can it be incomplete! At least, there was no 100% proof that it did which is what it takes to overturn the call on the field which was a catch!

It touches the ground - but thats moot anyway. It's a fumble not an incomplete.

Here watch this video in slow mo frame by frame.

At 1:22-1:26 you can definitely see contact with the ground and again on the reverse angle at 2:30-2:35 (although obscured by the pylon) you can see it.

Well although you may not see it clearly on the reverse angle because of the pylon - you can see part of it. And there is no way it did not touch the ground. His arm is not under it, it is on the side of it which you can see clearly. the ground is what causes the ball to move.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

It's clear here.. his arm is not under the ball. It's outside the ball on the side. you can tell it is going to contact the ground - there is no way it did not. In fact you can see the ball visible BELOW the arm. If the arm hit the ball hit.

But again... moot.... NFL now ruled correctly. Fumble recovered by Dez.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
It sucks but the Cowboys D that 2nd half was gasping too. Even if it's ruled a catch and TD Aaron Rodgers very possibly woulda scored again as well.

The real killer that game imho was the huge Murray fumble. 14 point turn around.
Macarthur
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

It sucks but the Cowboys D that 2nd half was gasping too. Even if it's ruled a catch and TD Aaron Rodgers very possibly woulda scored again as well.

The real killer that game imho was the huge Murray fumble. 14 point turn around.
No doubt about the Murray fumble. Huge swing.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

No doubt about the Murray fumble. Huge swing.
You aren't wrong! That's definitely the one thing I've forgotten about that game in light of the Dez debacle! But that fumble was about as bad as Crayton's drop against the NYG. Just an absolute killer that shouldn't have happened!

Dez, Murray, Crayton... talk about 3 plays that stood between Romo and 2 appearances in the NFC Championship game. One of those had zero to do with him and the other 2 were PERFECT passes. I have no doubt the Cowboys would have gone to the Super Bowl in '07 if not for Crayton (and probably lost to the Pats).
birdman
The ball may hit the ground because it is "below his arm".

But his lower torso is already on the ground. And the Packer defender is touching him.

The NFL missed that call about 5 different ways.
jr15aggie
AG
birdman said:

The NFL missed that call about 5 different ways.
But at least the referees made up for it a couple years later by calling a drive killing 15 yard phantom penalty against GB for too many men in the huddle... oh wait... no, they called that $#!* against us too, early in the game when our offense was going up and down the field against their defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Señor Chang
AG
Is it common for teams to have 50% more O coaches than D?
PooDoo
AG
DJ Chark clocked a 4.34 - 40.
That should get him in the 1st round.
. . .
@JonMachota said:

Jerry Jones: Hearing with Roger Goodell Monday will be about going over facts. "We'll both be better for it."

Jerry Jones: Usually when you go to the Hall of Fame your career is over. "Hopefully some of the best days are still ahead" for me

Jerry Jones on if he expects Dez Bryant to still be with the Cowboys next year at this time: "As we sit right here, yes."

Jerry Jones confident he and Dez Bryant can have productive conversations this offseason about his contract. Clear that he wants Dez to remain a Cowboy. Still envisions him as a top WR

Jerry Jones thrilled that Cowboys were able to get a contract extension done with VP of personnel Will McClay. "He's the real deal."

Jerry Jones asked about what happened with the Mavericks and if it causes him to take a closer look at Cowboys organization: "We need to really use our energy and assets to be very equal and fair in the workplace." Declined to speak specifically about Mavs

Cowboys will try to develop another young QB behind Dak Prescott and Cooper Rush this offseason. They won't be looking to add a veteran backup QB

Jerry Jones on Dak Prescott: "He's going to get his extraordinary contract," but we have to take advantage of where his contract is right now

Jerry Jones says Cowboys have been talking to representatives for Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence but declined to speculate on where negotiations stand

Jerry Jones said watching the Eagles win the Super Bowl adds extra motivation: "We got some comparables to them, so why not us?" Then joked: "They just have a better owner."

Jerry Jones on what Dak-friendly means to him: "I think it's an offense that lets [Dak Prescott] be unpredictable. ... Be more imaginative in the running game. Even some of the college stuff needs to be thought about here."

Jerry Jones on Jaylon Smith: "I know that our trainers and doctors think he's got some serious notable improvement ahead." Said he expects Jaylon to be a three-down linebacker

Jerry Jones on Ezekiel Elliott: "He's paid the most level of punishment that I've seen for what he did. It's cost him. We should have every reason to believe that that would be a constant reminder when you're making decisions. I think that's the case."

Jerry Jones on Byron Jones moving to cornerback: "With the makeup of where we are, it's better, we'll get more of what he does the best at corner than we will back at safety. ... That also speaks highly of what else we've got back there at safety, too."
@khairopoulos said:

Jerry says he's not over disappointment of last year. Being at combine is a reminder this is key time to do something about it. "We really were disappointed last year. We've got to do better."

Jerry: I've had a lot of business with Dez over the years. It's not awkward at all to plan on visiting with him. We're both comfortable being candid. I don't want to give any answer that I have anything in my mind that he's not with the Cowboys.

Jerry on Dez: it takes two to do anything with his contract. ...You've asked me if I want him back on the team next year. The answer is yes.

Jerry on draft: those compensatory picks are a god send.

Jerry was obviously not for a total coaching change but happy about the freshness on the rest of staff and the new coaches will have impact, he says.
PooDoo
AG
Found the Cowboys 2nd round pick!
Shaquem Griffin - LB - UCF

MooreTrucker
AG
That kid is awesome!
PooDoo
AG
He sure is
gigem1223
PooDoo said:

Found the Cowboys 2nd round pick!
Shaquem Griffin - LB - UCF

He may not last that long. Dude just ran a 4.38 40 at the combine.
jr15aggie
AG
Pretty sure this was the guy Broaddus was talking about the other day. How do you rank a guy like this? You obviously want him on your team and he's a day 1 active guy, but he's also not an every down LB.
. . .

...and he has already signed it.

jr15aggie
AG
That sucks... 17 Million on the cap!!! A long term deal would have been much more cap friendly on a per year basis, but it was hard to justify a full contrat for a guy that had 1 great season mixed with others that included injuries & a suspension.

Just hope we can retain Irving and get a full season out of both of them. This pretty much kills our ability to get any splash players in free agency, but who were you going to get anyway that was better than Lawrence last year. Nobody!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.