Thursday Night Football

1,610 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
21st Century Fox Inc. is close to a deal for the rights to "Thursday Night Football," according to people familiar with the matter, betting that adding NFL games to its prime-time schedule will boost viewership despite the league's recent decline in the ratings.

CBS and NBC paid a combined $450 million to air 10 games last year. Fox's bid is higher, even with the decline in ratings.

Link
Wildmen06
AG
I was hoping this would say they are getting rid of Thursday night football
W
AG
FOX is crazy
Law Hall 69-72
AG
You mean crazy like a Fox?
BBQ4Me
AG
I wish they would instead get rid of THU night football and bid out rights to have a 3rd TV game aired at the same time. Have 3 games at 12pm and 3 games at 3pm and 1 game at night. It's unlikely that they would do this as it would decrease the chances for a bidding war
ac
I think it would be better to limit Thursday NFL games to opening weekend & Thanksgiving only.
Matsui
AG
Aren't the ratings excellent or the top show on tv for each Thur night? They Aren't going anywhere.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Today on his weekly radio show on the Ticket , Troy Aikman said that in previous contracts, the NFL insisted that the network's number one team do the Thursday night games, but in this contract he and Joe will only do that game if it is determined to be a better game than the Sunday games. If it's not, Troy and Joe will continue to do the Sunday games.
Mike Elko
AG
TNF is such a terrible product, yet it's such a moneymaker. Players hate it, but it's here to stay.
ORAggieFan
Extend the season one week. Have Thursday games off the additional bye teams would get. Super Bowl then lands the day before Presidents Day and many people get day after off.
W
AG
it's a moneymaker for the league. But it is possible for a network to hose themselves by bidding too high.

see ESPN on the Monday night package

(and or course the LHN debacle)
Iowaggie
AG
I for one look forward to another season of Thursday night football. My favorite part is the Thursday evening/Friday morning post-game wrap up when members of the losing team discuss how short the week was. I'm just amazed that the players on the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions were able to survive for all those years with a regular Thursday game on Thanksgiving as part of the schedule.

I do think that it would be reasonable to have either a bye week the week before the Thursday night games, or at a minimum, the Thursday night road team be a home team (not on Sunday night either) the previous Sunday.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.