Alex Smith traded to Washington

1,785 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ORAggieFan
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chiefs get a 3rd & CB Kendall Fuller

Adam Schefter said:

QB Alex Smith and Washington now have reached an agreement on a new four-year contract extension, per sources. Smith, who had one year left on his contact, tied to Washington for next five seasons. Smith gets long-term deal from Washington that Cousins could not.
Chris Mortensen said:

On the agreement in principle: Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the extension and $70 million in guarantees. Nobody will be able to review that contract for awhile because officially there is no contract.

_lefraud_
AG
He's had the most peculiar career for a former #1 overall that I can remember.
Mr.Bond
AG
Mahomes era begins in KC.

Hopefully cousins goes to Denver and not Jax
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

vwbug
My guess is cousins will be in Denver
Ag_07
AG
Cousins to DEN and Eli to JAX is what I'm guessing
vwbug
Brady doesn't want to see his kryptonite end up in jacksonville!! Eli owns Brady
BBQ4Me
AG
Kirk can goto CLE and CLE would then have two top-5 picks to surround him with talent. They already have a stud LT and WR
bilbobag
Smith getting $23.5 mill/yr is absurd on a new deal. Jimmy G, Keenum possibly, going to get paid. $71 mill guaranteed for Smith
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Cousins to DEN and Eli to JAX is what I'm guessing

I thought Elis contract was pretty bad through 2019-20?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
UMichAg said:

Kirk can goto CLE and CLE would then have two top-5 picks to surround him with talent. They already have a stud LT and WR

They have an old LT recovering from a season ending injury

Olsen
AG
Alex Smith went from the West Coast (49ers) to the Central US (Chiefs) and now the East Coast (Redskins).
Rossko
AG
BMX Bandit
Joe Thomas was all pro in 2016. He tore a tricep.

He's still a stud LT by all accounts.

BMX Bandit
Eli stays a giant
Cousins to Broncos
Are my guesses
Mr.Bond
AG
He's also 33 years old and will be 34 during next season. Very fair to assume he will be declining

ac04
washington got destroyed in this deal. dear lord
Ag_07
AG
And I just don't see how Smith is all that much better than Cousins.

They could've given Cousins a long term contract and not given up anything and had the same (probably better) QB of the two.

I'm guessing it's a result of burned bridges and a soured relationship with Cousins.
BMX Bandit
"Declining" and still one of top tackles in the league
mavsfan4ever
AG
I bet cousins kills it in Denver or Jacksonville. I think he's really underrated. Has never had a ton to work with in Washington (especially this year) and had always played well.

I think the Jacksonville qb situation will be fascinating. I'm expecting them to just keep bortles for another year but who knows.
Gigemags382
AG
Let me get this straight. The Redskins gave up a 3rd rounder plus a young CB in order to sign an average QB (who will be 34 years old at the start of next season) to a ~$100 million contract, while letting Cousins (4 years younger and probably better) go.

Must have been some serious burned bridges with Cousins.

I can't believe Alex Smith is cashing in on $71 million guaranteed. That's absurd.

bilbobag
I see Cousins in Denver as well
W
AG
Alex Smith is just one of those QB's with a hard, hard ceiling. He can get a team to the playoffs, but nothing beyond that.

the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants are okay with Smith joining the division. Nothing to be concerned about
redag06
Cousins or Taylor.
ramblin_ag02
AG
So the Redskins got older, more expensive, and less talented at QB while giving up a young player and a draft pick? Sounds great to this Cowboy fan!

The Chiefs followed closely by the rest of the NFC East are all winners when this finally goes through
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
_lefraud_
AG
I always forget how young Alex Smith was when he was drafted, just turned 21.

Smith was drafted in 2005, Cousins in 2012, yet Smith is only 4 years older. Weird.
Gigemags382
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I always forget how young Alex Smith was when he was drafted, just turned 21.

Smith was drafted in 2005, Cousins in 2012, yet Smith is only 4 years older. Weird.
Yup, I had the impression that Smith was about 7 years older than Cousins. Realized he's just 4 years old when I looked it up to make my post.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Let me get this straight. The Redskins gave up a 3rd rounder plus a young CB in order to sign an average QB (who will be 34 years old at the start of next season) to a ~$100 million contract, while letting Cousins (4 years younger and probably better) go.

Must have been some serious burned bridges with Cousins.

I can't believe Alex Smith is cashing in on $71 million guaranteed. That's absurd.

Agree. Totally absurd. That said, bridges were absolutely burned with Cousins. Troy Aikman was on the radio this morning discussing how he was aware of the details of a long-term offer the Skins had ultimately made to Cousins, and that it was a very attracrive deal. But by that point, Cousins was just done with them, knowing he can get paid elsewhere.

Over the course of about 2 years, this whole thing went from Wash not being sure about Cousins, to being so desperate that he's leaving that they'll do a stupid deal for Smith.
ORAggieFan
Cousins will end up being the highest paid player when he signs. That is crazy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.