Reccomend a good Tom Landry biography

640 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Max Power
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slight heresy for a Houstonian, but I think he had a fascinating life and was hoping someone here could suggest a good, well researched biography. There are plenty to choose from, so I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.
ac
Former DMN Cowboys beat writer & later lifestyle columnist Bob St John wrote a biography of Landry that he would update & rerelease over the years.
rackmonster
AG
Heresy for an Eagles fan here...but ..I highly recommend COWBOYS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MY HEROES.

It's the oral history of the Cowboys from their beginning in 1960. The book came out in 90s...it did end with the Barry Switzer era.

I first saw the Cowboys here in Philly in 1963 at Franklin Field, they still had Eddie LeBaron and them ugly original uniforms. 1964 was the first year they wore their modern uniforms. The first time I saw them...I thought those were the neatest uniforms I ever saw.

Too bad the Eagles coaching staff was too dumb to figure out what a jinx those dark blue jerseys were for Dallas.
1964 was the first season where the home team had the option of wearing dark or white jerseys.
Prior to that, the home team wore their dark jerseys.

A friend of mine who worked as an assistant equipment manager told me the first thing they do on Monday morning before a road game is call the other team to find out which jerseys to pack. Because
In 1964, Detroit went up to Minnesota for a game. The Lions brought their dark jerseys...and the Vikings came out in their purple jerseys. The head official ordered the Vikings equipment manager to get back to the locker room and bring out the white jerseys. The players got changed on the sidelines.

Even if you're not a Cowboys fan...the aforementioned book is an excellent history of Landry and the NFL
rackmonster
AG
Just curious...has anybody ever compiled the Cowboys win-loss record, Blue jerseys vs White?

That would be a GREAT stat to have.
Max Power
AG
Also not a cowboys fan but this is a solid book about the team from when around Jerry bought them to when they won the superbowls in the 90s, really interesting stuff. Can't remember how much Landry stuff is in there, haven't read it in a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Will-Be-Cowboys-Dynasty/dp/0061256811/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516121530&sr=8-1&keywords=boys+will+be+boys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.