Ryan Shazier

3,441 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by benMath08
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
T&Ps. Pretty sure he just broke his neck/ back. No movement below his waist from the looks of it. Love to watch this sport but it can be brutal sometimes.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Saw it too. Not good. Never saw his legs move
Bunk Moreland
Man that is so bad. Had all the looks of being paralyzed.

Please please please let that not be the case.
W
AG
that was not good. Taken directly to the hospital
bilbobag
That didn't look good at all.. ugh.. Really hope he's ok..
BBQ4Me
AG
Damn. He wasn't even moving that fast when he made contact. Hope he's not paralyzed.
Cooter00
Stop leading with helmet
CrottyKid
AG
Sometimes a shock to the spine will cause temporary paralysis.
Ag_07
AG
That was scary.

What made me squirm was the fact that his upper body was fine as he was grabbing his back and just kinds flopped over.

You see guys take hits to the head and clinch up but to see upper half move was very concerning.
Bunk Moreland
And the dumbass of the night award goes to Smith-Schuster.
Ag_07
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I ain't mad at him.

Burfict deserves every bit of ill will he gets. He's been a thug ass head hunter for his entire career. It's pretty fitting his ass got knock out by an illegal hit.
Bunk Moreland
I'm a steelers fan. I ****ing hate Burfict and the Bengals but still don't like it.
canadiaggie
AG
That was more disturbing than the nasty looking knee injuries you see. Those knees will be repaired. Ankles will heal... but paralysis? scary as ****.
Bunk Moreland
And then Iloka delivers a cheap shot.

And that's why I hate what juju did. Leads to dirty retaliation.
Matsui
AG
This is rough. The announcers are right they need to really watch how they hit each other.
Mathguy64
AG
I have watched 10 minutes of the game and seen 3 hits that would be classified as targeting in college and as random as that call is there no one would would have any doubt there would be ejections.
jeffdjohnson
Sometimes I wonder how football is going to survive long term.
Ag_07
AG
I just find it hard to be upset with an illegal hit on Burfict. The guy has handed out more illegal hits and cheap shots than any player I can think of.

Just seems like a bit of poetic justice.
Bunk Moreland
Oh I agree. I'm definitely more upset with it because I'm a steelers fan. Neutral party I'd probably be right where you are.
LawHall88
AG
The lack of any update on Shazier's condition is troubling.
Aries
It is. As soon as I saw him gesturing towards his back I thought he broke it. I hope I'm wrong. He is a great player.
Coppell97
AG
Bunk Moreland
That would be fantastic given the alternative.
Aggie1205
AG
He will remain in hospital overnight.
W
AG
as an aside...what happened to the concussion protocol after Antonio took that savage headshot in the endzone? Didn't miss a single play. And very little real time elapsed after the Bengals quick 3 & out
bilbobag
Positive news for Ryan Shazier. Cord concussion is more of a shock to the cord with very little if any damage. Also more rapid return of function over a few days.
Bunk Moreland
still not out of the woods completely. Next day or 2 is pivotal with spinal cord swelling. It needs to go down and he needs to quickly regain full feeling and mobility.

If not, then it could be a very, very long road to recovery, and possibly not full.
W
AG
also...Tommy Maddox was a quarterback...not much physical contact on each play. A linebacker gets physical contact on every play. Not a good example/comparison
Floyd Falcon Sr
AG

Here is a little bit more of a detailed analysis. Pro football doc is a good follow on twitter. Usually has a good idea of injuries from video, and seeing the on field tests performed. Saying it is a contusion now, which is worse news than a concussion.
Bunk Moreland
correct. It's not like Maddox's injury. 48 hours after the injury is the key for longer term diagnosis. Swelling needs to go down and fast.
Iowaggie
AG
UMichAg said:

Damn. He wasn't even moving that fast when he made contact. Hope he's not paralyzed.

This is what's scary about it....it seemed so "normal" of a hit...wasn't some kickoff play where the offense and defensive player are both moving with equal and directly opposite forces.

Iowaggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

I just find it hard to be upset with an illegal hit on Burfict. The guy has handed out more illegal hits and cheap shots than any player I can think of.

Just seems like a bit of poetic justice.

Antonio Brown keeps yelling "Karma!"

Farmer1906
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Looked like a legal hit to me.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

That was the Ricky Seals-Jones "targeting" kind of hit. That wasnt the dumbass part. The dumbass part was standing over the dude, gloating about hit.
Bunk Moreland
Farmer1906 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

The taunting was what I was referring to. In that rivalry you don't want that. I think it directly led to the headshot on Antonio on the TD catch at the end of the drive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.