Remind me again why the Chiefs drafted Mahomes

2,858 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because Alex Smith looks like a potential MVP candidate.
Gigemags382
AG
Hmm yea definitely don't need to be grooming a young QB behind a 33 year old QB whose ceiling through his career has been around 3500 yards/20 TDs.

No one predicted this type of year from Smith. And even still, getting a young QB up to speed on the bench for 2-3 years is a good problem to have.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
They have a perfect QB situation in KC. Rock solid vet that isn't a superstar for a high-profile pick to learn behind. No baggage like a Favre/Rodgers situation.
_lefraud_
AG
Kind of reminds me of the Steelers drafting Big Ben in 2004. I remember Cowher or someone saying that as an organization, they don't often have a high draft pick (#11) so they decided to draft a qb, even though they didn't really need one with Maddox coming off a decent couple of seasons.

As for Smith, the dude has had one of the more interesting careers for a #1 overall that I can remember. He was labeled a "bust" after just a few seasons where he had like 4 or 5 different offensive coordinators over his first 4 years.
rangerdanger
AG
CrazyAgE
Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers is holding on line 1
ja86
AG
Can Mahomes play defense, kc needs help
BMX Bandit
OP didn't watch Alex Smith before 2017
ATM9000
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Kind of reminds me of the Steelers drafting Big Ben in 2004. I remember Cowher or someone saying that as an organization, they don't often have a high draft pick (#11) so they decided to draft a qb, even though they didn't really need one with Maddox coming off a decent couple of seasons.

Lol... Nobody ever thought the Steelers were set at QB with Maddox. Maddox/Roetisberger was a lot more like Savage/Watson and viewed that way by basically everyone whereas it was consensus Smith was starting all year this season barring a catastrophe.
Aust Ag
AG
ja86 said:

Can Mahomes play defense, kc needs help
Well, this was my point. (just didn't expand). Of course they have a great backup situation, but did they need to do that with the #10 pick? That was the most pressing need? Oh well, thank God they didn't go for Watson instead.
AtlAg05
AG
Some of the credit for Smith's career is due to A&M, the starting QB when Utah played at Kyle Field was hurt near the end of the game. Smith got the start the next game and I think it was the year they won out the rest of the season.
claym711
AG
Urban Meyer stomped Fran
98Ag99Grad
AG
If you think he's a franchise QB, you take him.
ac04
MelvinUdall
I liked the Mahommes pick for KC, if Smith was Smith again, then it set them up for 2018 and allowed Mahommes to learn for a year.
BTKAG97
AG
CrazyAgE said:

Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers is holding on line 1
Denver and Brock Osweiler are on line 2.
GoAgs92
AG
Aust Ag said:

Because Alex Smith looks like a potential MVP candidate.
Andy Reid appears to know more about football than you.
W
AG
I guess it make sense. As the NFL is moving more and more toward college football-style spread offenses...

the spread / air raid / zone read college QB's are finally having success in the NFL.

Goff, Mahomes, et al
BigHitterDaLama
Aust Ag said:

Because MAHOMES looks like THE LEADING MVP candidate.
FIFY
PooDoo
AG
Then traded Alex Smith for a 3rd round pick and a cornerback.
ac04
i'll stick with my original answer
BigHitterDaLama
Locked down the MVP yesterday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.