Thoughts on my team?

2,160 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DuckDown2013
Aggie_Boomin 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
League just got done drafting. 10 man snake draft, 16 rounds non-ppr league, and I had the 4th pick

Rd 1 Pick 4: Antonio Brown WR PIT
Rd 2 Pick 17: Jordan Howard RB CHI
Rd 3 Pick 24: Leonard Fournette RB JAX
Rd 4 Pick 37: Alshon Jeffery WR PHI
Rd 5 Pick 44: Carlos Hyde RB SF
Rd 6 Pick 57: Andrew Luck QB IND
Rd 7 Pick 64: Tyler Eifert TE CIN
Rd 8 Pick 77: Willie Snead WR NO
Rd 9 Pick 84: LeGarrette Blount RB PHI
Rd 10 Pick 97: Seahawks D/ST
Rd 11 Pick 104: Cameron Meredith WR CHI
Rd 12 Pick 117: Stephen Gostkowski K NE
Rd 13 Pick 124: Ben Roethlisberger QB PIT
Rd 14 Pick 137: Hunter Henry TE LAC
Rd 15 Pick 144: Anquan Boldin WR BUF
Rd 16 Pick 157: Derrick Henry RB TEN
MelvinUdall
CE Ag 21 said:

League just got done drafting. 10 man snake draft, 16 rounds non-ppr league, and I had the 4th pick

Quick question and I have been following, how the heck did Big Ben make it so late in the draft? Also given the fact that Luck hasn't participated much if any in the preseason that seems early for him.
Goldie Wilson
rounds 2-6 all look like high risk/high reward players. Godspeed.
Goldie Wilson
Also, defense in the 10th and kicker in the 12th were very bad picks.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I have no idea why Ben slid that far. And as far as Luck is concerned I'm actually gonna have to disagree with you. Under normal circumstances I would try to stay away from him because of his injury, however for some reason the other people got QB happy so he was the 7th QB off the board and other people reached waaaaaay higher for a QB than I did (like a cowboy's fan getting Dak in the 5th).
752bro4
AG
Other people reaching for a QB early doesn't make that pick any better.
digital_ag
AG
Dan 07 said:

rounds 2-6 all look like high risk/high reward players. Godspeed.

Gotta agree. That RB group would make me nervous but if they all hit you will have a great team.

I'm not as high on Alshon as others.

Really like the Snead and D Henry picks.
rtimber
Not a chance this year, pal
ac04
decent start, then swerving all over the road, then a steal to finish it. C-
Goldie Wilson
CE Ag 21 said:

I have no idea why Ben slid that far. And as far as Luck is concerned I'm actually gonna have to disagree with you. Under normal circumstances I would try to stay away from him because of his injury, however for some reason the other people got QB happy so he was the 7th QB off the board and other people reached waaaaaay higher for a QB than I did (like a cowboy's fan getting Dak in the 5th).
If everybody else is taking a QB, you can get great value on anything that's not a QB.
dixichkn
AG
Luck was a reach, you got very lucky to get Ben that late. And Derrick Henry was a f'ing STEAL in the last round. That guy's gonna give you huge ROI. Watch. Cam Meredith that late is a nice pick too.
ATM9000
AG
Rounds 4-10 were pretty bad.
M.C. Swag
AG
Your last 2 picks should be Kicker/DST. It's almost a mortal sin to take either any earlier.

I like Fournette and Hyde could be good, but the rest of your middle is a bag of 'meh.' Not sure why you would take Ben when you already had A. Brown and Andrew Luck. Would have been better served with another WR.

D+.
Prior22
AG
Some of these "grades" are laughable. I don't see anything wrong with this team. Not a huge Howard fan, but you have some depth there and if Murray goes down, Henry (as a 16!!!) would turn into an automatic RB1. Like the gamble on Luck as well. Think this is a solid team with some great upside. A few of y'all need to get a clue. Are you drafting in 8-team leagues?
Mike Elko
AG
"Everybody's a critic."

It's a long season, your team will be fine... Though, you might wanna drop Boldin ASAFP.
M.C. Swag
AG
Prior22 said:

Some of these "grades" are laughable. I don't see anything wrong with this team. Not a huge Howard fan, but you have some depth there and if Murray goes down, Henry (as a 16!!!) would turn into an automatic RB1. Like the gamble on Luck as well. Think this is a solid team with some great upside. A few of y'all need to get a clue. Are you drafting in 8-team leagues?
It's not the players, it's the strategy. Why go with Seattle in the 10th and Gostkowski in the 12th? Those are picks without value. I could stream a defense every week based on matchup and get similar or better results. And the dropoff between the top kicker and the 10th kicker is less than 2 pts/game.

Big Ben was another unnecessary take. OP already has the Steelers primary receiver and on top of that, already invested a 6t round pick on a QB. Without knowing the other players available, it's hard to grade a draft but just looking at the roster it didn't appear as though OP was drafting with a strategy or his current team makeup in mind.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I got Luck in the 6th
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

"Everybody's a critic."

It's a long season, your team will be fine... Though, you might wanna drop Boldin ASAFP.
Haha yeah that was unfortunate!
M.C. Swag
AG
apologies for the typo. My point was, you already had your starting QB and the Big Ben pick was a gratuitous one that added little value since you already had A. Brown.
M.C. Swag
AG
Also, I won my league last year with only 2 players on my roster that were drafted. So even an "F" draft grade can be redeemed through active management of waivers. Nobody wins their league on draft day alone.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Now I'm down a receiver because of Anquan and I have a good QB to offer as a trade. Everyone has value.
Ag_07
AG
What does having Brown have to do with the pick of Ben? I don't get that logic.

Of the 2 QBs I think Luck that early was the mistake.

But regardless the team overall isn't that bad, but the spot in which the OP took a bunch of the players is questionable.
M.C. Swag
AG
CE Ag 21 said:

Now I'm down a receiver because of Anquan and I have a good QB to offer as a trade. Everyone has value.
That type of thing rarely pans out in my experience. People are usually pretty stubborn to punt on a player, especially this early. Whoever you'd trade with would have to really be struggling at the QB position to be willing to give away a WR. (Besides, Bolden's fantasy value should be replaceable in FA.)
M.C. Swag
AG
Ag_07 said:

What does having Brown have to do with the pick of Ben? I don't get that logic.
A large part of bens value is tied to A. Brown. Last year:

Brown's TDs accounted for 41% of Ben's
Brown's Rec Yds acconted for 34% of Ben's
Brown's Receptions accounted for 33% of Ben's completions (and receptions are value add to WR, not QB)

Basically,
Point 1: Through A. Brown, OP already owns over 1/3 of Ben's fantasy value.
Point 2: It's not usually a wise move to double dip because if 1 goes down, the other will suffer. It's about diversification. His team is already High Risk/High Reward oriented with guys like Fournette, Hyde, Meredith and Luck. Doubling down on Pitt offense could be a good move, or it could submarine his chances.
ac04
i like stacking QB/WR if they both have independent value anyway. ben / brown qualify.
M.C. Swag
AG
ac04 said:

i like stacking QB/WR if they both have independent value anyway. ben / brown qualify.
I completely disagree with your stacking philosophy. It has more downside than upside. I'd rather have an independent QB/WR tandem where they can buoy each other if 1 has a bad game (ie Luck can carry Brown in a bad game). As with stocks, the best strategy is diversifying. You don't want your entire portfolio to be tilted in the energy sector when the oil crisis hits.

But that's why OP asked for everyone's opinion. Mine is that stacking was not a good move. Especially for a player that wasn't a need.
NoahAg
CE Ag 21 said:

I like your 1st, 5th, 9th, and 14th picks. IMO, too high for Luck, Eifert, DST, and K.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
i really like the Meredith pick, of course i could just be justifying my selection of him in the 10th round of my 14 team PPR league.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Prior22 said:

Kinda agree. I think it's a solid team.
DuckDown2013
AG
CE Ag 21 said:

Have you looked at Big Ben's home vs away stats? You can only start him when he plays at home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.