Draft Position?

2,542 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my league, we decided to set the draft order by allowing people to choose their picks in the order that they finished. The first place guy chose to draft fourth, second place guy is drafting third, third place guy is drafting first, fourth place guy is drafting second.

I finished fifth...would you take the fifth draft choice or would you do something differently? If so, what and why?
ac04
the first place guy chose to draft 4th? is this for money?
Saint Pablo
Yes it is, I do not get why he did that because he has no chance of getting Bell, DJ, or Zeke.

Anyway, which position should I take?
ac04
PPR i would stick 5th and take OBJ, AB, julio, or maybe evans. non-PPR is debatable, might slide back to the end of the first round and start RB-RB. good RBs disappear extremely quick this year.
Matsui
AG
If it is a snake draft I think I would drop down to the bottom of the draft.
W
AG
10-team or 12-team?
Saint Pablo
W
AG
in a 10-team league, I'm okay with drafting 9th or 10th (assuming snake draft).

in a 12-team league, I would probably go ahead and take one of the top 3 spots to get one on the marquee RB's
ac04
the top 4 spots are already claimed.

would really help to know if it's PPR or not
Saint Pablo
It is standard scoring, not PPR
Mike Elko
AG
Stick with fifth.
ATM9000
AG
In a snake draft, where you pick up value is in he hole where there are like 2-3 players who will draft 2 positions in between you on the turn. People tend to fill their RB starters and WR's and qbs before drafting TEs or reserves. Just pay attention to what those people are doing and the draft gets pretty predictive after round 5 or so in terms of when you can wait on a guy and when you can't just by seeing what positions the people in those places between our picks have taken already.
Saint Pablo
Ended up going with tenth to change it up for once. This will be my first time drafting outside of the top 5 in this league...hopefully the strategy pays off
DallasAggie0
Top 3:

1. Bell.
2. Zeke
3. DJ

There is definitely a drop off after this.

I won my league (PPR) and am picking 1st. Bell is just too good to not have.
Saint Pablo
I have the tenth choice...I am likely going to go RB/RB (unless a great WR falls) and in the mocks I have been doing, that is looking like Melvin Gordon/Demarco Murray/Devonta Freeman...I think I would be comfortable with two of those guys.
ac04
2 of those 3 would be an excellent start
Saint Pablo
Then I have been picking up Brandin Cooks/Jarvis Landry/Sammy Watkins with my next 2 picks and go from there...I am liking my set up at ten
Mike Elko
AG
Don't take Sammy Watkins. Period.
ac04
i'm not real crazy about cooks at his ADP either. i wouldn't plan too much past 2.01, just let it come to you after that.
Bonfired
AG
For any of y'all/us that may draft Demarco, how early do you consider handcuffing Henry to him, given that you're of the opinion that it's worth it, and he's available?
Saint Pablo
If he can stay healthy he is electric
Smokedraw01
My reccomendation is to go to an auction draft.
Mike Elko
AG
It's your funeral...
M.C. Swag
AG
RedAgs01 said:

My reccomendation is to go to an auction draft.
^This. Auction is so much better in every way.
Saint Pablo
Hmm we have never considered it as a league, could either of y'all give me the run down on what makes it so much better?
M.C. Swag
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Hmm we have never considered it as a league, could either of y'all give me the run down on what makes it so much better?
  • Everyone starts on even playing field. - No more worrying about being a middle-to-late pick anymore. And no more friends walking around like pompous assh*les all week knowing they have the number-one spot. Everyone has an equal opportunity from the jump, which means you can no longer blame the draft order for your shortcomings!
  • You don't have to sit around waiting forever for your draft turn.- The worst part about having the first pick in the snake draft? Having to wait five hours for your next pick! By then, the most interesting stars are off the board. Auction drafts let everyone make picks at all times.
  • You can actually get the players you want, regardless of draft position.- Want a team with Zeke AND DJ? That happens in plenty of auction drafts. While you still need to be strategic and mindful of your allotted money, having no boundaries when choosing players is how it's supposed to be.
  • If you ball out too hard and blow your cash you're left to play with crumbs.- Like so many other things in life, don't go too hard or you'll find yourself on your ass. Or worse: broke! Being a big spender will end up hurting you in the end.
  • The kids who don't take the league seriously will miserably fail at the draft. - Once again, actual football knowledge starts to come to light and investing in a player means a lot more than ever. Novices will be weeded out early and you won't ever have to worry about some chump in your league getting lucky again!
  • You can *****over your friends with last-second bids. - It's all about playing your cards right, and putting in a last-second bid to steal a player is one of the most rewarding feats in fantasy. Sneak in late bid for Dak Prescott and watch everyone else lose their sh*t. He's going to be a beast this year, by the way. If you know your friend loves a certain player, you can keep driving up the bids so he spends more money. Bidding on players you don't even want is an important strategy in auction drafting. Having inside information to whom your friends are targeting will give you the upper hand later in the draft. Bait them and watch them spend their dollars like imbeciles!
  • If you win your league, you can legitimately say you are the best. - Winning an auction draft league gives you a sense of accomplishment that no snake draft can ever give you. Knowing how far you've come, making the right choices and spending your money wisely is something that you will carry into next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.