Kaepernick and Pete Carroll?

3,472 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Petrino1
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't Pete just say last month he is a starter in this league and cannot believe he isn't signed?

Then goes and gets QB Austin Davis, WTF?
Aggie1205
AG
Is Kap asking for starter money? I bet Davis isn't.
bonfarr
AG
I would think the people of Seattle would welcome him with open arms so it likely is a money deal.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
BMX Bandit
Florio reporting it's not a money issue. Guessing They want a true backup, not someone Russell Wilson looking over his shoulder at.
Saint Pablo
Wilson looking over his shoulder at Kaep? Please....
ac04
think kaep wants a do-over on his little national anthem stunt? idiot
Matsui
AG
That entire franchise is glued to Wilson. It isn't a surprise. Bennett and Sherman have said the same things.
jr15aggie
AG
ac04 said:

think kaep wants a do-over on his little national anthem stunt? idiot

That's what he gets! Speech is free in this country (thank God), but that does not mean zero consequences!

Friggin jerk off was making millions (like countless of other black athletes who are practically worshiped) and was trying to pretend this country hated his race and was keeping brothers down. I get it... The people in this country aren't perfect and hate exists on all fronts, but the national anthem was not the place to make a statement. It represents all colors and people who have fought for our freedoms.

Guy deserves what he is getting IMO.
BBQ4Me
AG
Many soldiers have defended Kap's actions and stated that they fight to defend people's right to have freedom of speech. I don't necessarily agree with his statement, but I think it's ridiculous how people are ripping his peaceful protest (not like he was stopping traffic). If players like Mixon and Hardy are allowed to play, Kap shouldn't be taboo
Agnzona
The owner of the NY Giants said they got more calls as and letters about Kaps kneeling than any other issue ever. It didn't even effect their team and was on the other coast but it really pissed off most of America.
He was absolutely the wrong guy for that message also. Raised by whites in upper class suburbia but goes all tats and gangster in appearance. He seems like an all around fraud. Then the fact that the whole issue was a lie and just a race baiting movement by actually violent racist made it the wrong issue.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
ac04
he's a look-at-me clown who played political activist on TV but didn't even vote in the presidential election. he also decided he would stop kneeling during the anthem exactly one day after he parted ways with san fran and became unemployed. total fraud. also, he's not good at football.
DannyDuberstein
AG
UMichAg said:

Many soldiers have defended Kap's actions and stated that they fight to defend people's right to have freedom of speech. I don't necessarily agree with his statement, but I think it's ridiculous how people are ripping his peaceful protest (not like he was stopping traffic). If players like Mixon and Hardy are allowed to play, Kap shouldn't be taboo
They defended both his freedom of speech and the freedom of people to think his speech was stupid and not to employ him. This is how it should work. His freedom of speech has not been impaired in the least.
CactusThomas
AG
UMichAg said:

Many soldiers have defended Kap's actions

Not really.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Always makes me laugh whn people start citing freedom of speech in a situation like this. Clueless as to what the concept really means.
BBQ4Me
AG
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17433156/veteran-ex-nfler-nate-boyer-defends-colin-kaepernick

http://www.businessinsider.com/veterans-support-colin-kaepernick-2016-8

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2661364-military-veterans-sign-petition-supporting-colin-kaepernicks-right-to-protest
BBQ4Me
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Always makes me laugh whn people start citing freedom of speech in a situation like this. Clueless as to what the concept really means.

Obviously this is not a "freedom of speech" in the first Amendment form; a business has their right to not hire an individual based on what they did/didn't say. This is more of an issue where a player expressing themselves (in a quiet manner) and the NFL owners choosing to not hire him, meanwhile employing people who have done far worse actions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And like all other decisions in th NFL and everywhere else in the business world, it is a simple matter of whether someone's talent is worth more than the negative baggage they bring with them. This is a basic equation that gets applied to NFL QB's, to a staff person in the front office, and to a guy selling hotdogs at the stadium.

So before someone feels compelled to create controversy - whether their cause seems just or not, I'd encourage them to make sure the talent they bring to their job is worth more than the controversy they are about to stir up. Otherwise, be ready for that job to go away.
MelvinUdall
This is a case of when keeping it real goes wrong. I didn't particularly care that he knelt for the NA, it wouldn't have been something I would do, but he had the right to do it. However, what he did was unpopular and a distraction and therefore teams don't want to open up that type of criticism, especially for a backup. I believe ultimately when camps open he will be on a roster, it will be up to him how he handles it to keep the spotlight off of him.
SeattleAgJr
We dodged a mother ****ing bullet with this!
MelvinUdall
SeattleAgJr said:

We dodged a mother ****ing bullet with this!

Who is we? Is that you Michael Bennet?
GetThoseKeysMilo
A) He can no longer rely on his legs post injury, and isn't a great passer. He didn't get cut by SF due to his political protests, he got cut because he wasn't a good player.

B) He would immediately become a huge distraction on whatever team he lands on. It would be worse than Tebow. Even if a team thinks he could be a viable backup, no one wants to deal with that kind of media attention for a backup QB.

mts6175
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

A) He can no longer rely on his legs post injury, and isn't a great passer. He didn't get cut by SF due to his political protests, he got cut because he wasn't a good player.

B) He would immediately become a huge distraction on whatever team he lands on. It would be worse than Tebow. Even if a team thinks he could be a viable backup, no one wants to deal with that kind of media attention for a backup QB.

C) His asking price is in the $4 mil per year range right now. That's an expensive backup.....
Rudyjax
AG
Headache is greater than the value of his QB play.

Same with Johnny. Same with Tebow.

All three are good enough. Just not good enough for the bs that surrounds them.
bjork
Kaep to Miami?
W
AG
gotta love ESPN.

as soon as Kaepernick gets linked to a team...and he's not offered a contract...they paint the team owner as the villain...and of course use "unnamed sources"
W
AG
uh-oh, you know the SJW's are furious with the Dolphins now
Olsen
AG
I'm sure the Cuban Americans currently living in Miami after fleeing Castro's regime will block them out.
ac
I'm not condoning Kap's actions, but he is entitled to his opinions like everyone else. As for his return to the NFL, plenty of alcoholics, drug addicts, and other criminal types (i.e. - Vick) have been given 2nd chances. What makes Kap so much worse than those types? This whole thing is starting to get ridiculous.
ac04
the guys getting 2nd chances are really good at football. kaep is not.
Bunk Moreland
ac said:

I'm not condoning Kap's actions, but he is entitled to his opinions like everyone else. As for his return to the NFL, plenty of alcoholics, drug addicts, and other criminal types (i.e. - Vick) have been given 2nd chances. What makes Kap so much worse than those types? This whole thing is starting to get ridiculous.

How can so many of you miss the point? Kaep isn't being blackballed because he has opinions like everyone else.

He's not very good. He's a backup QB at best. The role of the backup QB's are to be a ghost publicly. Support the starter, help him in film study, and be a throwing machine at practice. Kaep's actions over the last few years go beyond "having opinions" and he has invited this to be a media-driven crusade for his cause.

It would piss off a chunk of the fanbase & invite way too much attention to the backup QB and not the team/football. He's a distraction. A sideshow. It's simply bad for business.
MelvinUdall
ac said:

He's a distraction. The criminal types you mentioned served some sort of pennants whether it was missing games or jail time. The problem with Kaepernick is not his ability it will be the constant questions daily from the media on the subject and the focus of every anthem of him kneeling, no team or owner wants that distraction, I know I wouldn't. The same media that is crying racism is the same media that would cause the constant distraction.
Rudyjax
AG
ac said:

Kap, Johnny and Tebow are all good enough to win games as a backup QB.

The problem is that they're a headache. No one wants a backup QB that causes problems.
Kozmozag
Steven Smith and L. Tomlinson both just said Miami should have taking Kap before Cutler. Both said Kap was better last year.
Bunk Moreland
Kozmozag said:

Steven Smith and L. Tomlinson both just said Miami should have taking Kap before Cutler. Both said Kap was better last year.

Cutler was injured almost the entire season. Cutler has a past with Gase(his best season rating rise) just 2 short years ago, and will have practically zero learning curve.

Kaep's entire career has been in a dumbed down offense that maximized his running ability, and a Chip Kelly Spread-running offense.

Cutler over Kaep was a no brainer.
MelvinUdall
Kozmozag said:

Race baiting at it's finest, anyone with a minimal amount of football knowledge knows that Cutler was the best option, he can come right in and know the playbook.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.