Clevelands recent draft history

1,484 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ebag02
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A comment on the zoo lead me to look up Clevelands recent draft history since a lot seems to get made about how stacked they are at picks for next year as they were for this year.

I always thought this was typical for them and they've just never managed to do anything with it. Below is a summary of their drafts since 2009.

One can make the argument that it's not fair to include 2017s draft since none of these players have contributed yet, but use it just to compare to what they've done historically.

2017:
3 - 1st rd picks
1 - 2nd rd pick
10 total picks

2016:
1 - 1st rd pick
1 - 2nd rd pick
14 total picks (holy *****)

2015:
2 - 1st rd picks
1 - 2nd pick
12 total picks

2014:
2 - 1st rd picks
1 - 2nd pick
6 total picks

2013:
1 - 1st rd pick
0 - 2nd rd picks
5 total picks

2012:
2 - 1st rd picks
1 - 2nd rd pick
11 total picks

2011:
1 - 1st rd pick
2 - 2nd picks
8 total picks

2010:
1 - 1st rd pick
2 - 2nd rd picks
8 total picks

2009:
1 - 1st rd pick
3 - 2nd rd picks
8 total picks

In the last 9 drafts:

7 of them have resulted in more than 7 picks (4 in double digits)
7 of them have resulted in more than 2 players taken in top 2 rounds
3 of the last 4 drafts they've taken multiple 1st rounders

They have a history of managing picks well, but either not managing, developing, or picking players well.

This history doesn't help the outlook for MG.

Now, I'd be interested to hear someone's take on this who's more familiar with Clevelands recent history as to why this consistent higher number of overall picks and top picks has not contributed to wins
MicheIangeIo
TheCougarHunter
AG
Because they've had like 27 starting quarterbacks over the past decade
FancyKetchup14
AG
I think has more to do with a very impatient owner in Jimmy Haslam. He fired Shurmur after his second year once he take ownership in 2012, gave Chudzinski one year (who fans liked), and then gave Pettine two years who couldn't get it done.

I think Hue Jackson is a great coach and good talent evaluator, he just needs more than 2 years. If haslam can give him that I think they can (hopefully) turn the franchise around. That town loves their team and I'd love for them to be successful.
Buck Compton
AG
You also forget that in January they hired Paul DePodesta... Not really relevant looking at past draft picks if they're willing to give him the reins for the better part of a decade.

No guarantee to win big, but their current GM/Coach combo is light years better than anything they've had. If they find a WB, they'll be good.
Mike Elko
AG
Pretty sure any of us could've done a better job running that organization than the morans they've had in their front office the past 25+ years.
W
AG
everyone likes to bag on Johnny (taken #22 overall),but he was not the Browns' first pick in 2014. That was the OSU DB Gilbert at #9 who busted
MelvinUdall
W said:

everyone likes to bag on Johnny (taken #22 overall),but he was not the Browns' first pick in 2014. That was the OSU DB Gilbert at #9 who busted

That was a bad draft for them.
Bunk Moreland
Gilbert looked like an absolute stud out of okie lite but as soon as he was drafted you heard murmurs of teams who had dropped him lower due to character issues.

So that made sense for the Browns to take him there.... And unfortunately in hindsight to trade up and take jff at 22..

I agree though, new decision makers in the organization should help them become competitive in 2-4 years.
ebag02
AG
Over the last 2 seasons the Browns are 2 - 4 in games Johnny started and 2 - 24 when someone else started.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.