Ed Werder losing job

2,828 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pilot
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just announced on Dan Patrick show that many would be laid off today from ESPN
Thriller
AG
Running list of ESPN layoffs on Deadspin
SeattleAgJr
fantastic news.

about ESPN in general.

No opinion on Ed.
Bodhi
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

fantastic news.

about ESPN in general.

No opinion on Ed.
people that hate large companies because they think they have opposite political leanings as them
Bodhi
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

fantastic news.

about ESPN in general.

No opinion on Ed.
people that hate large companies because they think they have opposite political leanings as them
SeattleAgJr
Bodhi said:

SeattleAgJr said:

fantastic news.

about ESPN in general.

No opinion on Ed.
I hate ESPN for the same reason that I hate MTV.

Their product should be sports programming and news.

Not... whatever it is right now.

I would equally hate ESPN if it was right-leaning. I give 0 ****s about politics, social justice etc when I just want to watch some ****ing sports.

BBQ4Me
AG
Wish they would've kept Ed and instead canned: Jemele Hill, Danny Kannell, and Skip Bayless
Olsen
AG
UMichAg said:

Wish they would've kept Ed and instead canned: Jemele Hill, Danny Kannell, and Skip Bayless
Skip already left ESPN on his own terms to Fox Sports.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Firing someone like Ed and Keeping Kannel and Russillo says it all

BBQ4Me
AG
Oops. Thanks for the correction (shows how little I watch ESPN anymore outside of live sports).
diehard03
Deitsch commented that ESPN was willing to pay millions to Skip just last year.
Bodhi
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Bodhi said:

SeattleAgJr said:

fantastic news.

about ESPN in general.

No opinion on Ed.
I hate ESPN for the same reason that I hate MTV.

Their product should be sports programming and news.

Not... whatever it is right now.

I would equally hate ESPN if it was right-leaning. I give 0 ****s about politics, social justice etc when I just want to watch some ****ing sports.

So basically you just don't like ESPN debate shows?
Thriller
AG
That's how I read it.

I'd like ESPN to remove the "E" and just become SPN. The Entertainment can go somewhere else, for all I care.
PatAg
AG
At least they got rid of that clown Jean Jacques Taylor
Thriller
AG
Kanell is out
DeangeloVickers
AG
I think it takes a special talent to run ESPN into the ground
Olsen
AG
Im glad Kanell is gone. Michelle Beadle needs to go as well.
SeattleAgJr
Ryno01 said:

ESPN has made many bad decisions, but some o of this was inevitable.

Growth could only go on so long.
Changes in viewer habits (cord cutting, mobile access) reduce the traditional consumption methods
Changing viewer preferences, and emphasis and interest in non-sport things (video games, etc).

That said, ESPN has made the issue worse and in a shorter period of time than it would have likely been impacted.
Thriller
AG
Jayson Stark got the axe too. One of the good guys.
PooDoo
AG
Ryno01 said:

txagman1998
AG
Surprised Werder and JJT were on the list given the Cowboys resurgence. I would have expected an increase in coverage this year.

As for the decision in general, I think eventually they will reach a point where they can't cut costs anymore and we will have to pay more for sports. For decades ESPN has been subsidized by the total pool of cable and satellite viewers, whether they watched or not. Those days are changing as more people are buying skinny bundles or cutting the cord altogether.

That being said, there is still a large market for sports viewing and ESPN is already making adjustments with their investment in BAMtech, the advanced media arm of Major League Baseball. I believe a stand alone ESPN subscription is coming in the near future. If HBO, Showtime, etc. can charge $14.99 a month (or whatever it is they charge) for access to movies, why can't ESPN do the same for access to sports? I currently subscribe to Sling TV, but mostly watch it only for sports. I could see myself buying an ESPN only package for cheaper than my monthly Sling TV subscription.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
does it surprise anyone Kannel kinda had the most dewshy response to being fired of anyone? I mean i get it, you lost your job..that sucks and I'm sorry for you. but still....
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i know Dilfer is unpopular to a lot of people but i think he brings good things to the table and has good takes.
COOL LASER FALCON
Had the exact same thought
Max Power
AG
Werder and Stark will both be unemployed for about 5 minutes. NFL Network probably on the phone already with Werder.
txagman1998
AG
As Newy Scruggs would say, "Twitter so cold":

bonfarr
AG
Oh please let Darren Rovell be gone.
Ag Natural
AG
It says a lot when you can identify 100 people that you can do without. They were bloated as hell. I know every person let go has some talent or brings something to the table... so I wonder how they made their decisions.
hph6203
AG
They probably did it based upon how much the person cost, how much longer they had on their contract, how high profile they are and how costly their buyouts were.

I remember a time where Jim Rome, Stephen A and Skip Bayless were the only *******s on the network, now it seems like that personality/style is the mold they aim for. Those are fine when they are counter balanced by more light hearted personalities, but when you have two guys yelling at each other it's annoying not entertaining.

I'm not old enough to really remember 90s ESPN, but my early college days had a pretty solid lineup of shows. College Football Live, NFL Live, Around the Horn, PTI, Sports Center, Cold Pizza (the Skip, Woody and Jay Crawford incarnation, Woody really balanced Skip out), Stump the Schwab and if you wanted telly mcscreamy faces you had Stephen A Smith and Jim Rome.
JDL 96
I expected Scott Van Pelt and Bob Ley to get the boot. SVP in particular seemed likely over paid and way under performing.
BBQ4Me
AG
bonfarr said:

Oh please let Darren Rovell be gone.

I would love this. His most recent article was about how we shouldn't shame players for having low Wonderlic scores because he took it and was humbled by scoring relatively low on it.
BowSowy
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

does it surprise anyone Kannel kinda had the most dewshy response to being fired of anyone? I mean i get it, you lost your job..that sucks and I'm sorry for you. but still....
Yeah, especially because he was there for five years...it's not like they uprooted him and fired him 3 months later.
Ag Natural
AG
JDL 96 said:

I expected Scott Van Pelt and Bob Ley to get the boot. SVP in particular seemed likely over paid and way under performing.

SVP is pretty much the only reason I watch at all. I was bummed he moved off the radio but his late sportscenter is the best incarnation of that show since the 90s. I have no idea what the overall ratings are but I'd imagine they aren't terrible or they would have made a change.
Terk
AG
Werd?
PatAg
AG
JDL 96 said:

You a Stephen A. Smith fan?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.