Breaking(?): Romo to retire to begin broadcasting career

3,533 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Despite interest from at least one playoff-ready NFL team, the Cowboys legend and four-time Pro Bowler has opted to retire in order to pursue a career in broadcasting, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. Romo was set to be released by the Cowboys on Tuesday, effectively making him a free agent.

The news was first reported by ESPN.

NFL LINK
TJJackson
If this all goes down, Romo released and he retired, how does that effect the cap situation? Does it change it at all?
gigem1223
$14M cap savings after June 2nd is the way I understand it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Idk i still get the feeling this still isnt over
Olsen
AG
Rudyjax
AG
He is also going to do golf too.

Interesting that he's going to number 1 with no experience.
ac
Unthought Known said:

He is also going to do golf too.

Interesting that he's going to number 1 with no experience.
Didn't Aikman do that w/FOX?
Rudyjax
AG
I may be wrong but it wasn't until the 2nd season he became part of the "A Team" with Buck and Collinsworth.
ce1994
AG
Aikman never did golf.
Rudyjax
AG
ce1994 said:

Aikman never did golf.

ac
Unthought Known said:

I may be wrong but it wasn't until the 2nd season he became part of the "A Team" with Buck and Collinsworth.
Come to think of it, Aikman's 1st broadcasting year of 2001 was the final year of the Summerall/Madden team on FOX. So yes, he wouldn't have been on the #1 crew until 2002.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Aikman had to pay his dues doing NFL Europe broadcasts before getting to the big time.
True Anomaly
AG
I guess this proves how much Phil Simms sucks
sleepybeagle
AG
BTKAG97
AG
leakypipes said:

If this all goes down, Romo released and he retired, how does that effect the cap situation? Does it change it at all?
Per ESPN

Quote:

The Cowboys' move to make Romo a post-June 1 release designation softens the blow against the salary cap this season. Instead of counting $24.7 million against the cap in 2017, Romo would count $10.7 million this year and $8.9 million in 2018. The Cowboys would gain $14 million in cap space this season, but it would not become available until June 2. The Cowboys will carry $19.6 million in dead money for the 2017 season, $8.9 million in 2018 and $3.2 million in 2019.
The best thing about this move is the removal of Simms.
Southlake
Could Romo retire then "untetire" ala Brett Favre?

Would that still save the Biys cap money?
BMX Bandit
He was released, so if he comes back it will be the dead money plus any new deal.

If had retired and comeback, the old figure would be reinstated.
Terk
AG
He's gonna be ok...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Aikman called World League games in 1998, while he was still an NFL player. Then he spent his first NFL broadcast year on the FOX B team and shared the analyst role with Daryl Johnston in a 3 man booth (Dick Stockton on PBP).

This is a much bigger leap with far less experience.
biobioprof
Vernada said:

Quote:

Despite interest from at least one playoff-ready NFL team, the Cowboys legend and four-time Pro Bowler has opted to retire in order to pursue a career in broadcasting, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. Romo was set to be released by the Cowboys on Tuesday, effectively making him a free agent.

NFL LINK
Romo qualifies as a Cowboys legend?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
biobioprof said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

NFL LINK
to fans and observers yes. and i don't think there's anything wrong with that.
biobioprof
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

biobioprof said:

Vernada said:

Quote:

NFL LINK
to fans and observers yes. and i don't think there's anything wrong with that.
I don't think there's anything wrong with people having odd opinions regarding sports; it's part of being a fan. But I was out earlier running an errand and some guy on the radio was ranting about Romo not being HoF level and my thought was that he was ranting about a straw man that nobody was actually claiming.

So I'm surprised that fans of a team that had Staubach and Aikman would think of Romo as a legend. Whether Romo is better than Meredith or even Danny White or Craig Morton is debatable. Heck, if we separate being a legend from having the best career, Clint Longley may be more of a legend than Romo
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i watched most of White's career and there is zero doubt Romo was wayy better than White imho. they are honestly not even in the same ballpark of QB.

this coming from someone who had White as his favorite player into the mid 80s.

and yes, i'm old.
Rudyjax
AG
Only football idiots don't appreciate Romo.

OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I'm surprised that fans of a team that had Staubach and Aikman would think of Romo as a legend. Whether Romo is better than Meredith or even Danny White or Craig Morton is debatable.

I have been a fan of the Cowboys since 1960. Romo was a heck of a player, but not a legend.
PatAg
AG
Wrong
misterguinness
AG
Room has the 4th all time highest QB rating. Aikman is 54th. Super bowl wins are everything though
Rudyjax
AG
Serious question.....

Does Romo win Suoerbowls with those teams or does Aikman win Superbowls with these teams?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Unthought Known said:

Serious question.....

Does Romo win Suoerbowls with those teams or does Aikman win Superbowls with these teams?
I think he'd get at least 1 and maybe all 3, and no Aikman does not.

Aikman folded like a cheap tent when he had no OL (which was the case most of Romo's career).
BMX Bandit
misterguinness said:

Room has the 4th all time highest QB rating. Aikman is 54th. Super bowl wins are everything though

Kirk Cousins is 11th
Kaepernick is 17th

They better than Aikman too?

heddleston
AG
i have to play madden with the commentary off or i wont play at all
BassCowboy33
Sounds like a lot of it was Nantz, who apparently strongly disliked working with Simms.
Rudyjax
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Sounds like a lot of it was Nantz, who apparently strongly disliked working with Simms.

Can you blame him???
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. Simms seems to he universally regarded as a priick. I'm actually stunned he held that job for so long. He's not good at it and he's a priick. A move like this was long overdue,Romo or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.