A strong tight end class will enable the Cowboys to draft Wittens replacement

2,007 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chris1515
ce1994
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tight end class is VERY deep this year. The Cowboys can go a few rounds before selecting Witten's successor.
mts6175
AG
That's great and all, but if they really want Witten's replacement, they need to step up and draft OJ Howard. Won't be another one like him for a while.....
ac04
i was told on this board that gavin escobar was a great selection in the 2nd and would be witten's successor.
PooDoo
AG
I bet OJ Howard can pass rush too
Goldie Wilson
Why would the Cowboys draft a replacement for Witten? He's never going to retire
Matsui
AG
Nah. Get them off the street. Keep stocking dl and ol
bonfarr
AG
Take Sprinkle in the 4th and hope he doesn't shoplift any more.
ce1994
AG
Rico Gathers? Can anyone discuss him?
bonfarr
AG
Freakish athlete that is a basketball player trying to play football. He is a major project that will need to show something in OTAs and fall camp to earn a full time roster spot.

He is so raw that when the Cowboys were short a tight end when Swaim went down they didn't bring Gathers off the PS, instead bringing up a big WR they later cut after the season.
ce1994
AG
I have read that he is working hard to learn technique. If he can pull if off that is the answer. A huge fast guy running down the field.
ac04
if bucky hodges falls to the second i'd like to see them go that route. not sure its worth the capital to acquire howard, njoku, or engram (although i expect all to be good NFL players).
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Witten can play until he's about 60 years old. It's not like he can really run or get open right now. But that doesn't stop him from working his way downfield and using his body to give himself room for the catch.
bonfarr
AG
Swaim was looking good before his injury and I think we can get a good TE in the middle rounds this draft, the crop is deep this year.
Street_Cred_Norm
Jake Butt , if he falls to the third or fourth, will be the TE we get.
BigHitterDaLama
Jason Witten =

bonfarr
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

Will Butt be able to play all of this Season? He tore his ACL in their bowl game. I am tired of Dallas using picks on guys that need a red shirt year.
MicheIangeIo
AG
ac04 said:

i was told on this board that gavin escobar was a great selection in the 2nd and would be witten's successor.
same w martellus bennett and james hannah and john phillips
NukeAg10
AG
great tight ends are rare. you have gonzalez, witten, graham, gronk (past two are more wide receivers), and upcoming kelce, etc... then lots of solid guys who qb's make look good.

hopefully the cowboys can find another witten, but it took 8 (?) years for the cowboys to find another novacek.

not as easy as it sounds, regardless of how deep the draft is this year.
TPS_Report
AG
NukeAg10 said:

great tight ends are rare. you have gonzalez, witten, graham, gronk (past two are more wide receivers), and upcoming kelce, etc... then lots of solid guys who qb's make look good.

hopefully the cowboys can find another witten, but it took 8 (?) years for the cowboys to find another novacek.

not as easy as it sounds, regardless of how deep the draft is this year.
And Gates. But your point stands. You don't just "plug 'n' play" HOF tight ends. Cowboys will be lucky if they can draft the next Doug Cosbie let alone the next Jason Witten.
CactusThomas
AG
Yep the cowboys need to draft someone to replace Witten. And now that I think about it, the 9ers should probably draft someone to replace Montana. Oh and the Giants might want to draft a replacement for Lawrence Taylor since it's also a deep draft for pass rushers.
jr15aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

Street_Cred_Norm said:

Will Butt be able to play all of this Season? He tore his ACL in their bowl game. I am tired of Dallas using picks on guys that need a red shirt year.
He would definitely be the ultimate Jerry pick. Guy that would have easily been a 1st round "do it all" TE that Jerry can take a flyer on. We will have serviceable TEs next year... Swaim was a real asset to our offense receiving and blocking before he got hurt.

I'm also very curious about Rico Gathers. Guy is a physical specimen and apparently when Romo was working with the practice squad guys he was wearing them out with Rico. Just kept feeding him the ball and Gathers would bring it in.
Amazing Moves
But can he block?
Southlake
I'd like to see the Boys draft a good playmaking TE thus year

I'd also like to see Witten retire before he's retired.

He was obviously a step slower last year.
chris1515
AG
bonfarr said:

Take Sprinkle in the 4th and hope he doesn't shoplift any more.

He went to Arkansas, so you know the Cowboys have him rated much higher on their boards than they should...at least they would have at one point in time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.