History says Garappolo is fool's gold

5,163 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Señor Chang
TPS_Report
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like every year there is some backup QB that has a good game and is the next Joe Montana. This year it's Garappolo.

The list of busts is long and undistinguished:

Jeff Hostettler
Scott Mitchell (though he did have one good year)
Matt Flynn
Matt Cassell
Matt Shaub (avoid all Matts might be a good rule)
Ryan Fitzpatrick

ATM9000
AG
Schaub was definitely not a HOFer... But how exactly was he a bust?
Goldie Wilson
Steve Young
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo
MelvinUdall
ATM9000 said:

Agree on this, he had a couple of seasons in which he threw for over 4,000 yards, calling him a bust is a bit over dramatic.
ac04
i think garappolo can be better than anyone on that list. granted its a very limited sample size but he has looked excellent.
ce1994
AG
Jeff Hostettler was not a bust.

Tough crowd.
Goldie Wilson
Tom Brady
Phil Rivers
Kurt Warner
ORAggieFan
Most are listing successful QBs that didn't change teams. Changes when you look at changing teams.
MelvinUdall
ORAggieFan said:

Most are listing successful QBs that didn't change teams. Changes when you look at changing teams.

I am not sure if I follow, but Matt Schaub made a pretty significant impact on the Texans and led that team to the best record the franchise has ever had, unfortunately he completely fell apart.
jr15aggie
AG
Dan 07 said:

Steve Young
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo

I think the OPs point isn't that back-ups never become good. The example above played for a single team and when the took the wheel they didn't let go.

I take the OP to be more about guys with limited experience as a back-up and getting paid big bucks by a needy franchise (Brock/Texans) based on a very small sample size. The new team taking the gamble will likely have some buyers remorse.
Ag_07
AG
I thought this would be a discussion on Bellichek's trade history. That guy is better at winning trades than he is Super Bowls.

That history alone tells you he won't do shlt.
Farmer1906
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Drew Brees?
Saint Pablo
Brock Osweiler
Señor Chang
AG
Brett Favre (Atlanta to GB)
MooreTrucker
AG
TPS_Report said:

Seems like every year there is some backup QB that has a good game and is the next Joe Montana. This year it's Garappolo.

The list of busts is long and undistinguished:

Jeff Hostettler
Scott Mitchell (though he did have one good year)
Matt Flynn
Matt Cassell
Matt Shaub (avoid all Matts might be a good rule)
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Matt Ryan says "hi".
ORAggieFan
aggie1906 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Drew Brees?

Bree's was good in SD and I don't recall him being a backup with some PT before.
Farmer1906
AG
ORAggieFan said:

aggie1906 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Drew Brees?

Bree's was good in SD and I don't recall him being a backup with some PT before.

Well his team decided to draft a franchise QB while he was the starter then let him walk. Maybe not a back up but he fills the void of changing teams.
dcaggie04
AG
How about it being QB backups for Tom Brady have been fool's gold elsewhere.

Matt Cassell
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
birdman
Brees had a catastrophic injury and lots of people thought that he wouldn't recover. And he still wanted a big contract. That's why they drafted his replacement. Saints took a chance on him.

Just know that Patriots backup quarterback is a product of the system and steer clear.
Farmer1906
AG
birdman said:

Brees had a catastrophic injury and lots of people thought that he wouldn't recover. And he still wanted a big contract. That's why they drafted his replacement. Saints took a chance on him.

Just know that Patriots backup quarterback is a product of the system and steer clear.
They didn't draft his replacement (Eli) when Brees was hurt.
ac04
birdman said:

i'm guessing NFL front offices are doing a bit more thorough evaluation than this
03_Aggie
ac04 said:

birdman said:

i'm guessing NFL front offices are doing a bit more thorough evaluation than this

When it comes to the Texans, I'm truly beginning to wonder.
Bunk Moreland
ac04 said:

birdman said:

Yeah... Sometimes not. Arrogance and emotions and hope will bias anyone's opinion, even those making major level decisions like this.

All QB's are a product of a system to some extent. 1% (or less) are truly great and would be great in virtually any system. Some very good qb's that the masses recognize as great probably would have struggled had circumstances changed drastically during their career.

Backup QB's who thrive in a system that always thrives, with very little experience, is a complete crap shoot with another team. And often times it's harder to mold those guys because they've become accustomed to a certain way. Rookies or unheralded guys can be molded better to a new system.
benMath08
AG
If a team has a 39 year old QB but is willing to let their backup go, that gives me pause. Even if their QB is Tom Brady.
Bunk Moreland
The Pats do not care long term right now, and they shouldn't. Their only goal is to win as many SB's as possible while Brady/Bellichik are still together.
benMath08
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The Pats do not care long term right now, and they shouldn't. Their only goal is to win as many SB's as possible while Brady/Bellichik are still together.
Unless Kraft is planning on selling the team when Brady retires I doubt this is true. The Patriots have always cared about the long term, that's part of how they got to where they are in the first place.
GEA89
AG
ATM9000 said:

If anything he was an overachiever in his prime.
AgGrad99
AG
Like dcaggie04 said, The Patriots have made a living out of selling their backup QBs.

Huard
Cassel
Hoyer
Mallett
Garappolo
TPS_Report
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Like dcaggie04 said, The Patriots have made a living out of selling their backup QBs.

Huard
Cassel
Hoyer
Mallett
Garappolo

All have been dogcrap after leaving the Pats.
AgGrad99
AG
Yep...but they keep peddling them
ATM9000
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Huard
Cassel
Hoyer
Mallett
Garappolo

The Pats have 'sold' a grand total of one of those for a total of a 7th rd pick
AgGrad99
AG
I didn't say it was a good living
redag06
Just like assistants that leave the Pats and become HC's. When will the other 31 teams realize that being the understudy to Hoodie or Brady doesn't equal greatness.
Ag_07
AG
ATM9000 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Huard
Cassel
Hoyer
Mallett
Garappolo

The Pats have 'sold' a grand total of one of those for a total of a 7th rd pick

Who Mallett?

I can't recall what they got for him, but they sold Cassel to the Chiefs didn't they?
BBQ4Me
AG
Traded for a 2nd round pick (used by the Pats to draft Patrick Chung). Cassel did have a Pro Bowl season for the Chiefs. Yes, he wasn't Tom Brady 2.0, but it wasn't a terrible trade
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.