The Patriots have $63 million in cap space available

3,319 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Demosthenes81
ce1994
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is just not fair. They are in a crappy division, they have arguably the best quarterback ever, arguably the best coach and a front office that knows what they are doing.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I still don't understand what's "not fair".....
aggiesq
AG
they should sign julio jones and zeke elliot just to watch people explode
BMX Bandit
aggiesq said:

they should sign julio jones and zeke elliot just to watch people explode

Heads wouid definitely explode if they signed players that are under contract with other teams. Weird post.
ce1994
AG
My God why are people so obtuse!!!!!!!!!! I am not being literal. I was just making a point that the Patriots are the best run team in the NFL by a long shot. The Patriots have the most cap space for a reason. They are smart with their payroll.
Ag_07
AG
Not only smart in their payroll but they coach low end players up. Therefore, they can sign them to small contracts then watch them explode.

They also trade away guys before they decline while their value is high. Just wait to see what they get for Jimmy G. Don't think they've ever lost a trade.

Really is incredible

ce1994
AG
I can't think of another team that can even match how they do it. The Steelers would come to mind but they are 2nd tier compared to the Patriots. They just keep rolling.

It looks like Brady is going to go another 2-3 years but by that time they will have the replacement for him. The backup will leave that franchise and fall flat. They all flat.
aggiesq
AG
It's a joke pal
BBQ4Me
AG
A lot of that space will go away once they sign Hightower, Butler, (and maybe) Marty
ce1994
AG
Hightower is a priority. Bennet not so much.
BMX Bandit
Meanwhile, Cowboys have over $100 million in cap Space devoted to just seven players. That number will go down, but great example of the tale of two franchises
bilbobag
When you look at their roster and the cap figures, it's unbelievable the job they have done. Highest paid players are QB, Lt, and FS..

Brady $14 mill, Solder $11 mill and McCourtey $10..
Sapper Redux
UMichAg said:

A lot of that space will go away once they sign Hightower, Butler, (and maybe) Marty

They won't overpay. If Hightower and Butler demand top dollar, they'll be gone. Part of what makes the Pats system work is that Brady takes a pay cut compared to what he could make.
AgsMyDude
AG
bilbobag said:

When you look at their roster and the cap figures, it's unbelievable the job they have done. Highest paid players are QB, Lt, and FS..

Brady $14 mill, Solder $11 mill and McCourtey $10..
bilbobag
Brady is due $22 million on 2018
Sapper Redux
bilbobag said:

Brady is due $22 million on 2018

And they'll renegotiate it. Just like every previous time.
knoxtom
Cleveland has over 100mm in cap space next year.

They also have the highest valued collection of draft picks in the history of the NFL. They have 4 compensatory picks to go along with their number one pick position. Pretty sure they have abunch of extra picks next year as well.

Everyone rags on the Cleveland situation and their last 20 years deserves it. But starting 2 years ago they developed a plan, obviously copying the Astros/Sixers model of absolutely burning it down, and they are going to bring in more young talent than any team in history. With that influx of young talent, they will also have tons of rookie salaries meaning they can pay anyone who becomes free. They won't have cap problems for YEARS. While they have a horrible history, it will be very interesting to watch if they screw up.

I have watched the NFL for a long time and have seen many teams lose to improve draft position. I have never seen a team go as deep into the plan as Cleveland. Any player who doesn't want to go there is being very short sighted.
Blackstreet
AG
It doesn't hurt when you have arguably the best qb in history being grossly underpaid. He gets it.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not only smart in their payroll but they coach low end players up. Therefore, they can sign them to small contracts then watch them explode.

They also trade away guys before they decline while their value is high. Just wait to see what they get for Jimmy G. Don't think they've ever lost a trade.

Really is incredible

I do this on madden pretty well. I don't know what all the GM's problem is. It's easy.
W
AG
the Patriots excel at trading players before they hit their big 2nd contract.

if DeAndre Hopkins were on the Patriots...he would be dealt at some point in 2017
Southlake
They also creatively reconstruct contracts and players but in. How many times has Romo restructured his contract to help the Cowboys?
Ag Natural
AG
Blackstreet said:

It doesn't hurt when you have arguably the best qb in history being grossly underpaid. He gets it.

Yep. The Pats do a great job but having a QB who could command $30+ million on the open market routinely take 10 to 15 really helps. Not only does it help with cap space but it sets an example. Plus, he is the reason they can sign lower rated players and get them to perform. A great QB helps everyone on the offense.
SeattleAgJr
Ag Natural said:

Blackstreet said:

Yep. The Pats do a great job but having a QB who could command $30+ million on the open market routinely take 10 to 15 really helps. Not only does it help with cap space but it sets an example. Plus, he is the reason they can sign lower rated players and get them to perform. A great QB helps everyone on the offense.
Yep.

Brady is a cheat.

Brady is the ****** supreme in the NFL.

But Brady is all about winning, and he makes financial sacrifices for the team.

No other premiere player in the league does anything like that.

So props to him for that.

For everything else... ****'im, the big cheater.
Faustus
Well even at 30m Gisele was going to make more than him every year while working. She told him to make whatever you want, just be sure to max your 401k and pick up a pair of those Jimmy Choos I like to see you prounce around in.
Jason Ag
AG
That and money from endorsements the rest of his life.
Demosthenes81
AG
It doesn't hurt that he has Gisele to throw in for the chips and dip money as well
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.