Give the history back

4,868 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Flogi
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting question. Who's the better owner, Jones or McNair. In the period that the Texans have been in existence they are 106-134 with 4 Division titles and 4 playoff appearances and are 3-4. During that same time frame (2002-2016) the Cowboys are 129-109 with 4 Division titles and 6 playoff appearances and are 2-6. The record discrepancy is mainly the early expansion years
DannyDuberstein
AG
Any idiot can make money in the NFL.
Forum Troll
AG
Bring back the Oilers. The Texans will be forever cursed as long as they have that ****ty name, that and Rick Smith.
MooreTrucker
AG
Calling the Houston team the Texans is stupid if only for the reason that Dallas was the Texans once upon a time. They moved to Kansas City and changed the name.

I too am in favor of making a team change their name if they change cities. Look at the Utah Jazz for definitive proof that needs to be the case.
Sapper Redux
LA is the king of relocated teams with names that make no sense in that city. The Lakers? Yeah, first thing I think of with LA are the lakes. The Dodgers? Plenty of trolleys around LA, I'm sure.
wargograw
BQ_90 said:

If Houston got the oilers history back Rick Smith would just trade it to Cleveland for their history
8 league championships? Sounds like a steal...
bonfarr
AG
Titans is a dumb name, why didn't they just call them the Tennessee Oilers? There used to be oilfields in Tennessee right? The Clampetts got rich when they found one on their land.
MooreTrucker
AG
They were Oilers for a bit before they changed.
Mr.Bond
AG
iirc bud like the "TT" alliteration
IrishAg
bonfarr said:

Titans is a dumb name, why didn't they just call them the Tennessee Oilers? There used to be oilfields in Tennessee right? The Clampetts got rich when they found one on their land.
Probably realized he could screw with Houston fans even more by changing the name and getting the NFL to permanently retire the Oilers team name so a future Houston team couldn't use it (even though it was unused).
TheCougarHunter
AG
Well if people from Houston that "loved the oilers so much" showed up to games and supported the team the oilers would still be there!

Don't act all nostalgic for the oilers- they were a lousy franchise

Sad that you lost out to freaking Nashville
Mr.Bond
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Well if people from Houston that "loved the oilers so much" showed up to games and supported the team the oilers would still be there!

This is so grossly inaccurate. If. You actually knew the real history you wouldn't make such an ignorant statement
03_Aggie
TheCougarHunter said:

Sad you don't know what in the hell you're talking about.
bonfarr
AG
Not really, Houstonians wouldn't cough up the money to build a new stadium when the Dome was falling apart because Oilers fans were still butthurt over the playoff choke job of the Century vs the Bills.

Adams gave Houston the single finger salute and butthurt Houstonians had to pay twice what Adams asked for to build a new stadium to lure an expansion team with zero history.

Texans fans remain perpetually butt hurt to this day.

Did I leave anything out?
TheCougarHunter
AG
Mr.Bond said:

TheCougarHunter said:

This is so grossly inaccurate. If. You actually knew the real history you wouldn't make such an ignorant statement

Please enlighten me on the real history then.

The people of Houston didn't want to pay for a new stadium because no one cares about the Oilers so they moved the team.
bdgol07
AG
The people of Houston didn't want to fully fund a stadium and essentially hand it over to Bud Adams to run as he saw fit

That's my memory of it at least

I'm only 31 so I could be wrong
DannyDuberstein
AG
Adams wanted a $235 million stadium and the public to fund $160 while he covered $75. Ultimately, Reliant got built for $295 and the public funded $170.

I think the team going to **** during the timeframe that Adams was making a case to get the stadium (12-4 to 2-14 from '93 to '94) + bud adams being unpopular played the biggest parts. Didnt help that he negotiated upgrades 6-7 years earlier by threatening to move and was ready to abandon it already.
ac
Reality is that when Bud Adams wanted a new stadium, he needed the support from influential local officials for things to happen. Unfortunately, Bud had made so many enemies over the years that he didn't have the right friends that he needed to help him out. If the Oilers had been owned by anyone else, they never would have left.
Flogi
Dont care
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.