Give the history back

4,860 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Flogi
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Couldn't agree more with this. Why in the hell is Warren Moons jersey hanging in Nashville? Makes absolutely zero sense
agdaddy04
AG
Listening to this on 790 right now. They did it for the Browns already, why not us too? Damn Bud Adams.
03_Aggie
Yes, yes they should. And we should scrap the Texans as soon as we receive the Oilers brand back.
BBQ4Me
AG
Texans is a terrible name, but I do love the logo
ac
Why do people want the history created by Bud Adams and some of his less-than-perfect hires such as Ladd Herzeg, Ed Biles & Jerry Glanville? As far as I'm concerned the Titans can have it. Bob McNair may have his faults, but he's no Bud Adams. The only thing that I don't like is seeing players like Earl Campbell & Warren Moon being honored in ceremonies in Tennessee when they never played there. I wish the NFL would do something about that.
Mr.Bond
AG
"The only thing that I don't like is seeing players like Earl Campbell & Warren Moon being honored in ceremonies in Tennessee when they never played there."

This is why people want it back. **** bud Adams, the oilers were Houstons team, he just happened to pay the bills. No one wants his history, they want OUR history
PatriotAg02
AG
Miss ya Blue
ElCheAg
AG
CreedBratton
If we were somehow able to get the Oilers brand back I would be in favor of making the switch in a heartbeat
W
AG
no doubt it's a very strange situation when teams change cities

MelvinUdall
CreedBratton said:

If we were somehow able to get the Oilers brand back I would be in favor of making the switch in a heartbeat

I have late 80's early 90's Oiler gear that I still have that it would feel like they never left.
The D
AG
There is no way McNair would actually make the name change, right? I can see him putting retired Oilers numbers in the stadium, with the Oiler loger, but I just see any way he would change names. Too much invested, IMO.
Mr.Bond
AG
No McNair never would. He's incapable of making good decisions
Max Power
AG
I wish they'd at least get to wear the old uniforms a couple times a year. It drives me absolutely crazy when the Titans wear Oilers throwbacks. At least the NFL wouldn't allow them to wear Oilers gear when playing in Houston though, but Adams tried to evidently.

Since Adams is dead it would be nice if the family or potential new ownership would sell the name back to McNair. The Oilers name, logo, and uniform mean nothing to the city of Nashville or state of Tennessee. Think I read somewhere before that McNair wanted to buy it back from Adams, but he refused out of spite.

At least when Art Modell left Cleveland he changed the name to the Ravens and let the Browns go back to Cleveland when they got a new franchise. Earl Campbell and Warren Moon never played a home game in Tennessee, you want to honor Eddie George or Steve McNair then go right ahead, they played for the Titans.

Give us back the Oilers.

I always wished that McNair would just say F it and have some Oilers uniforms made and don't ask permission, hell just give it a whirl with the colors and see what kind of response you get.
BMX Bandit
Modell did that as part of lawsuit settlement over 3-5 years of lease payments on the stadium. He wasn't being benevolent.
ATM9000
AG
Yeah... that history and logo have worth to them. I wouldn't just give them away if I were the Titans and I'd sue the ever-living **** out of the NFL if they just let the Texans use it. I'm sure McNair discussed buying the history from the Titans and if it were worth it, they'd have done that already.

Regardless, Houston fans hold on harder than any other fanbase I've seen to categorically mediocre history when it comes to their sports.
03_Aggie
I couldn't care less about the "history", I want the brand back. The Oilers are what the Houston franchise should be, not the Texans.

Let's face it, if McNair managed to put together a franchise that garnered more than one playoff appearance in their first decade in the league, this is likely less of an issue.
Iowaggie
AG
I wonder what the selling price would be for the Titans to transition that back to Houston.

I loved the Oilers more than any other sports team.
Of course, i was a lot younger and time of life matters, but nothing hurt more than those playoff loses.

It probably did a good job preparing me for Aggie football.

DannyDuberstein
AG
The ship sailed long ago, but in general, I think teams should be forced to leave their nickname behind with a city. And if there is a new team, they should have to assume it.
Max Power
AG
ATM9000 said:

Regardless, Houston fans hold on harder than any other fanbase I've seen to categorically mediocre history when it comes to their sports.

That an AG tag next to your name?
Mathguy64
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The ship sailed long ago, but in general, I think teams should be forced to leave their nickname behind with a city. And if there is a new team, they should have to assume it.
Absolutely 100% agree. The NFL forced Modell to start over when he moved the Browns out of Cleveland.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. To go further, if I had been in charge, the Colts would have left the name behind in Baltimore, the Ravens would be the Colts, and the team in Indy would be some other name. I just think the identity of a franchise should stick with the city.

It's ridiculous that a player like Earl Campbell is left in some sort of weird purgatory where his franchise doesn't exist anymore, or is somehow tied to Tennessee.

But again, I also recognize that the ship sailed on most of these a long time ago.
BMX Bandit
The NFL "forced" him as part of a lawsuit settlement.

If he didn't have so many years left on his stadium lease, they'd be the Baltimore Browns
Mr.Bond
AG
Seattle was promised the Super Sonic name if/when they get another team
Mathguy64
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Right. To go further, if I had been in charge, the Colts would have left the name behind in Baltimore, the Ravens would be the Colts, and the team in Indy would be some other name. I just think the identity of a franchise should stick with the city.

It's ridiculous that a player like Earl Campbell is left in some sort of weird purgatory where his franchise doesn't exist anymore, or is somehow tied to Tennessee.
In that shell game of teams,Jim Irsay and the Colts leave Baltimore in the middle of the night over a failed stadium deal, go to Indy, win a SB and have a new stadium. Art Modell takes the team, leaves the name, leaves Cleveland over a failed stadium deal, goes to Baltimore, gets a new stadium and wins a SB. And Cleveland gets a new franchise with the Browns name, a new stadium and now has the ****tiest franchise in all of football.

Most comical moves ever. You could not make up something dumber if you tried.

Oh wait. You can. Al Davis leaves Oakland over a failed stadium, goes to LA, leaves LA over a failed stadium and no local support and goes back to Oakland only to play in the same lousy stadium that he left. And now they seemingly are headed to Vegas. I have $10 that says they end up in Oakland at some point in the future.
mts6175
AG
Maybe they will go back to playing in the Astrodome. You know, that stadium that Houston won't let go of........
Mr.Bond
AG
mts6175 said:

Maybe they will go back to playing in the Astrodome. You know, that stadium that Houston won't let go of........

Nothing wrong with people wanting their history back. May I ask how old you are?
BQ_90
AG
If Houston got the oilers history back Rick Smith would just trade it to Cleveland for their history
ac
When a city loses a team and gets another one later on, it's like divorce & remarriage. You don't count the events of your 1st marriage in your 2nd one.
03_Aggie
When you finally recognize the first marriage was better than your second. You might consider going back if the opportunity presents itself.
BQ_90
AG
ac said:

When a city loses a team and gets another one later on, it's like divorce & remarriage. You don't count the events of your 1st marriage in your 2nd one.
I don't think the city and Oilers got a divorce, the owner got a better deal and ****ed the city then left.

I don't personally want the name back or to change the name of the Texans, but those Oilers should be recognized in the city where they performed.
jja79
AG
Mr.Bond said:

No McNair never would. He's incapable of making good decisions

He's a self made billionaire. Congrats on the all time stupid Texags post.
Mr.Bond
AG
Perhaps I should have worded it as "he's incapable of making good football decisions"

Does that make you feel better? He's worth billions, congratulations. He still has statistically speaking one of the worst franchises since the turn of the century
ac
Mr.Bond said:

Perhaps I should have worded it as "he's incapable of making good football decisions"

Does that make you feel better? He's worth billions, congratulations. He still has statistically speaking one of the worst franchises since the turn of the century
On the field, the Texans haven't accomplished that much, but in the financial aspect of running an NFL franchise, McNair has been highly successful. The Texans have sold out every single home game in team history. And McNair landed 2 Super Bowls for Houston which greatly benefited the local economy. It is a business and McNair has succeeded at the bottom line. Now, why does he keep Rick Smith?......
Basketball and Chain
AG
ac said:

Mr.Bond said:

On the field, the Texans haven't accomplished that much, but in the financial aspect of running an NFL franchise, McNair has been highly successful. The Texans have sold out every single home game in team history. And McNair landed 2 Super Bowls for Houston which greatly benefited the local economy. It is a business and McNair has succeeded at the bottom line. Now, why does he keep Rick Smith?......

Who gives a **** if he's making piles of cash? It's all about winning. As a fan, I don't give a **** if he makes a billion dollars or one dollar. Just win.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.