Head Coaches should not be on the sidelines.

1,434 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by benMath08
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm more and more convinced that they need to get out of the trenches and see the bigger game picture from the booth. As kick ass as it is to have a General lead the infantry charge, I don't think they can direct the battle very well from the front line.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
BMX Bandit
You are definitely drinking right now.
PooDoo
AG
What about an elevated platform like the band directors?
TJJackson
Why are you more convinced?
Agnzona
Because they routinely lose the big picture aspect of the game flow all to often.
ce1994
AG
You elevate coaches so they can see what is going on. That is for the coordinators. The head coach is managing the game. He needs to be on the sidelines. Quinn is the one that should have asked Shannahan "are you on crack?"

That loss last night was on the head coach. That is what he is paid to do. Quinn stole money from Arthur Blank. And to make it worse Quinn is a defensive coach. Those guys know what the defense is hoping the offense will do in those situations. And the Falcons did it.
ce1994
AG
You do not need to be elevated in order to understand how to manage a clock.
Agnzona
That's exactly my point. If he was out of the fire he would have clearly seen things differently. HC do their work during the week, the coordinators should be the ones talking to the players during the game. The HC manages flow, tempo, adjustments, challenges and most importantly game Clock. They need to step back to see the whole picture.
ce1994
AG
The have stepped back. But being on the sidelines he can tell who is *****ing, hurt, scarred,stuttering, not up for it, etc. That is the head coach. He can also work the refs. You can't do that from the press box.
BBQ4Me
AG
Belichik, Landry, Parcells, Walsh, Shula, Gibbs, etc all seemed to do OK from the sideline.
ce1994
AG
It was actually Paul Hackett with the Dallas Cowboys that started the coordinators being in the booth. Before then they were on the sidelines. Other coaches were in the press box. The defensive and offensive coordinators were on the sideline.
TyHolden
AG
they should be watching from rooms with every game angle available...with 100s of data scientists at their disposal.
ce1994
AG
Or, they have one guy following them around saying :"really, you want to do that?"
benMath08
AG
DSAg44 said:

they should be watching from rooms with every game angle available...with 100s of data scientists at their disposal.
Machine learning and image recognition is quickly getting to the point where it may be feasible to have real-time analysis done to spot trends or tells with certain formations/packages/etc. I'd like to see the pro bowl one year be a real coaching staff vs a set of AI coaches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.