Is Cheating OK as Long as You Win?

4,991 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by M.C. Swag
PatriotAg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

former MLB manager Leo Durocher said it best:

"nice guys finish last"

You mean Green Day
PooDoo
AG
http://es.pn/2k3ejBS
CreedBratton
If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin
Macarthur
I know this is going to sound like a sort of relativism, but I do think there are degrees of this.

I think of things like stealing signs in baseball or football as kind of an innocent everyday type of 'cheating'. It's as old as sports that teams giving signals will try to be decoded by the opposing team. I see those as almost a type of gamemanship. Kinda like making the opposing team's locker room less comfortable than the home team. Things like that.

When you get into filming of other teams practices and f'ing with the visitor's headsets, etc. I think that gets into a clear tilting of the field and crosses the line of gamesmanship.

Cappo
AG
Yup
94chem
Of course, mcarthur. Stealing signs from second base or from the 3rd base coach is not even cheating. Taking the balls from the locker room, video taping...completely different. Anybody who ever played sports knows the difference.
94chem
Brady corked his bat and put vaseline on the ball. He deserved to be hammered and was. The only unresolved matter is how long he did it and if it helped.
BBQ4Me
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_England_Patriots_videotaping_controversy

"Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL de jure, but there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping. Because the Patriots were instead videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline during the game, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell deemed it to be in violation of league rules, stating that the act represented a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field."

"Goodell and Walsh met on May 13, 2008, at which time Walsh told Goodell he and other Patriots employees were present at the Rams' walkthrough to set up video equipment for the game but that there was no tape of the walkthrough made; as a result, Goodell told the media no additional penalties would be brought against the Patriots.[12] Less than 24 hours later, the Herald issued an apology for the article about the alleged walkthrough tape."
RC_57
AG
As a circle track driver, same rule that applies to racing applies to football:
It ain't cheatin' if you don't get caught
Rudyjax
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Brady's biggest advantage isn't deflated balls, it's that he plays in a league that doesn't allow the QB to be hit, OL can tackle defenders, and pass interference is called constantly. QB's in the past didn't have those luxuries.
This is quite literally the funniest thing I have read on Texags.
sleepybeagle
AG
When a lineman holds on purpose - is that cheating?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Brady's biggest advantage isn't deflated balls, it's that he plays in a league that doesn't allow the QB to be hit, OL can tackle defenders, and pass interference is called constantly. QB's in the past didn't have those luxuries.

How far in the past are you asserting? Jack Lambert who played for the Steelers in the '70s famously said they should put dresses on QBs. So for the last 40 years, yes, the QBs that have played have had the same so-called advantages.

Defenses have complained about holding since football existed and from the games I watch, DPI is called fairly consistently and correctly. There are always missed calls but they don't tend to favor one person or one team.
M.C. Swag
AG
This is the dumbest thread ever.

Brady has played the QB position better, with the most success, and over the longest period of duration, than any player in history to do so. He is by far, the best player in NFL history and his story hasn't even concluded yet.
94chem
Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong...being the GOAT and being a cheater are not mutually exclusive.

I suppose the only thing dumber than this thread is the fact that Brady chose to do it. If you have a 100 mph fastball, why would you take the risk of scuffing the ball?

Why would you risk deflating the ball for such little reward? Unless...maybe your team led the league in fewest fumbles for a multi-year period for a reason...
W
AG
to be fair though...one of the knocks on both Bonds & Clemens...they were both on cruise control for the Hall of Fame (especially Bonds) by 1997 / 1998. Why get involved with 'roids & PED's at that point in your career?

one reason -----> ego
M.C. Swag
AG
W said:

to be fair though...one of the knocks on both Bonds & Clemens...they were both on cruise control for the Hall of Fame (especially Bonds) by 1997 / 1998. Why get involved with 'roids & PED's at that point in your career?

one reason -----> ego
You don't understand why a player, motivated by greatness, would utilize a substance that improves performance and reduces recovery time, essentially extending a career?

Bonds should 1000000% be in the HoF. It's a joke. Personally, I believe most athletes today (especially in the NFL) utilize roids or supplements.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.