Bob Kraft: we might look at reducing breaks in quarters by 20%

2,830 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Verne Lundquist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
interview on fox news sunday

too many commercials is why i stopped watching NFL...we will see
CrottyKid
AG
There should be no artificial tv timeouts. Commercials should air only in natural breaks in the game. There should also be no such pattern as extra point - commercial - kickoff - commercial - offense take the field. It should be extra point - kickoff - offense takes the field - commercial at next timeout.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the score - commercial - kickoff (likely touchback) - commercial is just ridiculous. That's a long stretch of time for no real football to be taking place and a window to lose a viewer that is not all that invested in the particular game.
94DallasAG
AG
After watching college games on Saturday it's actually refreshing watching NFL games on Sunday where they fit a game into 3 hours.

DannyDuberstein
AG
College needs to quit stopping the clock for 1st downs throughout the whole game. I'm good with it in the last 2 minutes of a half, but no reason to stop it at other times They could also stand to shorten halftime a bit as well.
W
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, the score - commercial - kickoff (likely touchback) - commercial is just ridiculous. That's a long stretch of time for no real football to be taking place and a window to lose a viewer that is not all that invested in the particular game.
yep, this is the #1 problem
superunknown
AG
Number or duration?
Mozart Paintings
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

College needs to quit stopping the clock for 1st downs throughout the whole game. I'm good with it in the last 2 minutes of a half, but no reason to stop it at other times They could also stand to shorten halftime a bit as well.

These are the most obvious and easy ideas and need to happen immediately. But with the amount of plays the college offenses are running now, I think they should look at starting the clock on incomplete passes once the ball is set (until 2 mins left in half).

The 4 hour college game is a beating.
ATM9000
AG
Yeah the problem with college is the number of plays. I personally hate the look and what the college game has become and can't really watch it if the Ags aren't involved. I'd probably watch again if they ran the clock on incompletions and first downs again if it's not inside of 2 minutes each half.
Matsui
AG
And college still runs much longer than NFL. I bet it is the same number of tv timeouts.

College game length is horrid. They need to keep the clock running.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I've debated whether they should start the clock after resetting for an incompletion. My main hesitation is that negates some of the advantage to being a running team. I'd like to see them start by changing 1st downs and halftime, then evaluate for a season before going further.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Agreed. Start with the obvious then go from there.
birdman
Nobody mentioned one of my pet peeves, timeouts for reviews. When they have a close play for touchdown, you can get an extra break in there. Exciting play for possible score. Timeout for review. Scores counts. Kick extra point. Timeout. Kickoff through the endzone. Timeout. That's usually when I switch to golf.

Another one is common sense. If a team scores or change in possession, just before quarter ends - play on! No need to squeeze another set of commercials in there. You end up with about 6 minutes of commercials and 10 seconds of football.
Mozart Paintings
AG
birdman said:

Nobody mentioned one of my pet peeves, timeouts for reviews. When they have a close play for touchdown, you can get an extra break in there. Exciting play for possible score. Timeout for review. Scores counts. Kick extra point. Timeout. Kickoff through the endzone. Timeout. That's usually when I switch to golf.

Another one is common sense. If a team scores or change in possession, just before quarter ends - play on! No need to squeeze another set of commercials in there. You end up with about 6 minutes of commercials and 10 seconds of football.

That does suck but it is a way to get the required commercials out of the way.
Seven Costanza
AG
This game has moved along pretty quickly, considering the concert during halftime. We're at 3.5 hours right now. And it started at 5:40, so it will end at a reasonable hour.
62strat
AG
I find starting the game about 30-45 minutes into it is perfect, I catch up by end of third quarter or so to real time.

Or like last night where we wanted to watch a halftime, we started about 20-25 minutes in, and were caught up by third quarter.

I just loathe commercials, and watching a football game is no exception. I'm not on twitter, and usually not interested in facebook during game, so I have no worries of spoilers. It's really not hard to just stay off the phone.
Southlake
Halftimes of high school football games: Away team drill team girls dance, away team band plus their whole performance, then home team dancing girls followed by home team band. Then the set up for both teams to run on the field from their blown up mascots.

Usually takes at least 50 minutes.

I'm all for the other than football activities. Why not have the visiting teams drill team and band perform before the game and the home teams play at halftime?
bbry81
I can't remember the last time I made it an entire high school game. Halftime is absolutely butal
Flogi
Sorry, they gotta pay to keep the bubble from popping.
MelvinUdall
A little off topic, but I highly recommend watching the Real Sports on HBO that did a story on Kraft, really well done. Kraft comes off a genuine person, and while I am not a Patriots fan, I certainly respect where he came from and how he was able to purchase the Patriots, as a fan literally.
mm98
AG
W said:

DannyDuberstein said:

yep, this is the #1 problem

Can't blue star this enough!!!
Rudyjax
AG
They use way too much time on reviews 9 out of 10 times.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Unthought Known said:

They use way too much time on reviews 9 out of 10 times.

Agree. if at the end of about 45 seconds, you still need more time and angles, then I'm going to say "clear and indisputable" isn't really met. So the call stands and we're moving on with the game. Put a timer on it and enforce the cutoff.

Too many replays are getting broken down like they are the Zapruder film, and more often than not, the call is pretty obvious. Trying to meet the "clear and indisputable" standard seems to be resulting in "i need to look at this a million times to confirm i'm right". That should not be the case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.