Romo to Denver for Aqib Talib

3,113 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Van Buren Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coworker with absolutely no credibility just told me this was a possibility if the broncos cannot work out a deal with Talib.
BMX Bandit
Isn't he under contract?
ce1994
AG
If this is true the Cowboys need to stay away from this guy. He is trouble.
corleoneAg99
AG
So John Elway decides not to pay one of the best CB's in the game but in trading for Romo takes on his entire deal?

Yeah........nah.
ac04
Van Buren Boy said:

Coworker with absolutely no credibility
thanks for sharing
Goldie Wilson
Sounds legit
misterguinness
AG
Talib is under contract until 2019. Elway does ask guys to restructure contracts (pay cut) if they aren't playing up to standards, but Talib is a top 3 CB.
Van Buren Boy
AG
ac04 said:

Van Buren Boy said:

Coworker with absolutely no credibility
thanks for sharing

Yeah, his source is apparently his brother who is friends with Chris Harris Junior. And he also said that if the cowboys couldn't land Talib they would look at Dre Kirkpatrick. Is he even a free agent? I forgot to mention that this guy is a tech tard
ac04
kirkpatrick is a FA
jr15aggie
AG
Don't know what's going to happen and don't know much about Talib outside of being a really good FB player (somebody above said he was trouble?)...

But ideally we will get a really good player or draft pick for Romo. I think I prefer the draft pick because I'd like to get a young/cheap player in return and then use the cap savings for Romo (about 5 mil next year and 20+ mil the next 2 years after) and get the free agents we really want/need!
mAgnoliAg
AG
IIRC he went to jail when he was on the bucs and the pats traded a late round pick for him and of course he went there and shined. That's why the pats are the best in the business.
ce1994
AG
Cam you people even remember what you ate yesterday? Talib has been in Wild West shoot outs. I know it did not happen in the last 24 hours so I suppose it never happened.

Good God. This is like Memnto.
Carlo4
AG
But but Talib would be coming home as a Richardson Berkner grad...

He'd be the perfect Cowboy to be suspended for a year... gotta keep tradition.
hph6203
AG
He and his mom were arrested for shooting at someone while with the Bucs, and he accidentally shot himself this post summer while at a step club off I-35. Dude is a dumbass.
Texker
AG
Berkner High!
Southlake
They all know Romo is leaving. Nobody needs to offer anything.

Cards, Broncs or 49ers.
misterguinness
AG
Southlake said:

They all know Romo is leaving. Nobody needs to offer anything.

Cards, Broncs or Jets.

FIFY
MooreTrucker
AG
Talib is an a$$.

Not that it matters much, but still. Don't like the guy.
62strat
AG
Talib is definitely a bit ghetto.

He's done some stupid crap; living in Denver I hear about it all.

Chris Harris Jr is much classier.

And he lives in my town
AggieT12
AG
Bring back Demarcus Ware for Romo and now we're talking!
misterguinness
AG
AggieT12 said:

Bring back Demarcus Ware for Romo and now we're talking!

Ware is an UFA. I'd imagine a reunion with the Cowboys makes a lot of sense to him. Maybe even a 1 year deal because of his health issues
Buck Compton
AG
Why do any Cowboys fans think they have any money for free agents?? Are they really that uneducated??
MooreTrucker
AG
Buck Compton said:

Why do any Cowboys fans think they have any money for free agents?? Are they really that uneducated??
Folks gonna leave, get cut, get restructured. Happens all the time. Are YOU really that uneducated?
Buck Compton
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Buck Compton said:

Folks gonna leave, get cut, get restructured. Happens all the time. Are YOU really that uneducated?
Not enough to make a huge FA signing. Let's break it down.

Projected Cap - ~$170MM
Cowboys Projected Payroll - ~$181MM

Starting ~$11MM in the hole. If you want to sign your draft picks, then bump that to about $17MM in the red... Now let's make some room.

Obvious cuts:
Romo (Post June 1 is the only real option here) - Saves ~$14MM
Free - Saves ~$5MM

That gets you enough room to sign your draft picks and maybe fill out a spot or two on the back end of your roster.

Other potential cuts:
Witten (7.4MM) - Cowboys fans would riot, but makes the most sense to me. Can't be restructured.
Morris (1.6MM) - no-brainer. Can't be restructured.
Beasley (2.5MM)
Hanna (1.5MM)

Assuming they won't cut Witten or Beasley, you have about 3.1 additional. This is without re-signing any of the key guys that they're losing (Carr, McClain, Church, Claiborne, T. Williams). Only real restructure candidates are Dez, Smith, and Frederick - which then also starts to cut into your ability to re-sign Dak in two years without gutting parts of your team. Assume they might pull another couple million from re-structuring and you're looking at maybe re-signing Church and/or Claiborne. Maybe.

The cowboys will not be a player in FA this year unless someone like Ware comes back for a huge hometown discount.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, it does look like a bad situation. Somehow Jerry seems to make it work, though, right?
Buck Compton
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Yeah, it does look like a bad situation. Somehow Jerry seems to make it work, though, right?
To field a team, but not be competitive for serious FAs. They really need to just pay the piper this year so they can get back on top of their contract situation. Hell, only like $45MM of that spending is on defense. That's what should be alarming.

They're like people who constantly buy a new car and roll over the negative equity from their last one into the new loan.
BMX Bandit
Nm
MooreTrucker
AG
That's not a good thing??????
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.