NFL Experience. Is it worth it?

4,755 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by NWE
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about going to Houston from DFW to attend NFL Experience at the convention center and staying a night. Have a 3 year old daughter I think would enjoy it if there are virtual reality games and prizes.

Any of you been in a previous SB city? Care to give a review?

AFB related because Falcons are in SB. They're in NFC South. Same division as the Saints. Dennis Allen is defensive coordinator for the Saints. Dennis Allen went to A&M.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Tl;dr but a veteran NFL player is always going to have an edge over your 3 year old.
ccolley68
AG
NWE said:

Thinking about going to Houston from DFW to attend NFL Experience at the convention center and staying a night. Have a 3 year old daughter I think would enjoy it if there are virtual reality games and prizes.

Any of you been in a previous SB city? Care to give a review?

AFB related because Falcons are in SB. They're in NFC South. Same division as the Saints. Dennis Allen is defensive coordinator for the Saints. Dennis Allen went to A&M.

Or you could just go with the starting LT of the Super Bowl bound Falcons is Aggie Jake Matthews

And I have a 4yo daughter, and I couldn't imagine taking her to something like that, nor her really enjoying it at that age, much less at age 3.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
HTown is full.... Stay in Dallas

Feel free to make excuses like "I didn't go bc Houston is a ****hole"

We'll be so happy that you stayed in Dallas we won't give a ****
MatthewRothell
AG
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

HTown is full.... Stay in Dallas

Feel free to make excuses like "I didn't go bc Houston is a ****hole"

We'll be so happy that you stayed in Dallas we won't give a ****

Clinton supporter
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
He did slay some trim...
Saint Pablo
I went when the Super Bowl was in Dallas when I was like in the eighth grade...I enjoyed it and so did my dad and uncle; however, I cannot imagine it being fun with a daughter of that age. I probably wouldn't recommend it under those circumstances.
dude95
AG
Took my kids to the final 4 thingy in Houston this past year (13,9 and 6). They had some games for the youngest while my older ones waited in line for 1.5 hours Hakeem and Drexler autographs. It was fun and we're planning on going to the superbowl bash, too. Superbowl is going to be 10x that.

For the final 4, every line was an 1.5 wait. Don't know if that's great for a 4 year old.
BMX Bandit
not worth it for 3 year old
ac
Martellus Bennett plays for the Patriots.

Finding a hotel room in Houston is going to be difficult.
CFTXAG10
AG
I went back when the Patriots and Panthers played here in Houston (2004). It was a lot of fun but it was super crowded. There really isn't a limit on the number of tickets they sell at the general admission level so depending on the day, especially the weekend, you can expect to rub elbows with a lot of folks. I saw they are offering the equivalent of a "Disney Fast Pass" so you can jump the lines for all activities, photo ops, and autograph signings. I actually got two tickets to the Pepsi Private Party @ the NFL Experience on Tuesday 1/31 so I am thinking about going if I don't end up selling them.

Quick side note: I still have an autograph from this guy who was signing at the experience back in 2004. He had just come off an incredible rookie season, but there wasn't a lot of hype around him at the event. We got to talk to him for a little while at his table and get him to sign the stock card photo they were handing out to everyone. That guy was Anquan Boldin. Crazy to think he is still in the league 13 years later as the Super Bowl returns.

Goldie Wilson
NWE said:

Obi Wan Ginobili
Why does this thread need to be AFB related? You're on the NFL & Fantasy Football board. That's the definition of NOT needing to be AFB related.......
NWE
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Why does this thread need to be AFB related? You're on the NFL & Fantasy Football board. That's the definition of NOT needing to be AFB related.......

Sometimes I forget where I am.
NWE
AG
So I decided to go anyway. Buddy of mine works at the new Marquis hotel so I'm going to stay there for the night. Would like a recommendation of a dinner spot I could take the family to.

Hoping to arrive in H around 2pm.
Check in to hotel
Freshen up
NFL E at 5pm
Dinner
Bottle of wine in the room
Zoo Sunday before driving home.
Olsen
AG
I went to the NFL Experience in 2004 when it was last held in Houston as a school field trip. Lots of fun (vividly remembering that) and seeing Nick Cannon perform on stage at the convention center.
ac
NWE said:

So I decided to go anyway. Buddy of mine works at the new Marquis hotel so I'm going to stay there for the night. Would like a recommendation of a dinner spot I could take the family to.

Hoping to arrive in H around 2pm.
Check in to hotel
Freshen up
NFL E at 5pm
Dinner
Bottle of wine in the room
Zoo Sunday before driving home.
The Goode Company restaurants on Kirby Dr. (BBQ, Seafood, Taqueria, Armadillo Palace) are all good venues. Only problem is that sometimes it's hard to get a table at them.
Token
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

I went to the NFL Experience in 2004 when it was last held in Houston as a school field trip. Lots of fun (vividly remembering that) and seeing Nick Cannon perform on stage at the convention center.
i was at the same concert! I also went on a school field trip and still have all the memoriabilia that I got from it. Good times
TyHolden
AG
Houston sucks. Worse town for the super bowl....other than Dallas. Have it in Vegas every year once stadium is built.
Aggiemike96
AG
Vegas is already a shlt show the week/weekend of SB. It would be a total disaster if the game was there too.
TyHolden
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Vegas is already a shlt show the week/weekend of SB. It would be a total disaster if the game was there too.
agreed - i didn't think that one through well enough
Jackal99
AG
What'd you think of it, NWE? I took my son (who'll be four next week) yesterday as somewhat of a last minute idea. I wasn't expecting much, and was dreading the crowds, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't terribly crowded, at least not what I was expecting, and my kid had a blast with the different activities. He loved dressing up and running through the "blockers" to score a touchdown.

One thing I was a little disappointed in was the autograph signing - not for myself, but for my son. He was excited about meeting football players, but the two we met (Malcolm Smith and Eric Kendricks) didn't seem too thrilled to be there and barely said a word to my son. After they signed his note pad, we went to sit down for lunch and he asked me when he was going to get to meet the football players. (I did tell him when we were in line what we were waiting for, so it's not like I didn't prepare him.) It might have been more entertaining if they were wearing their jerseys and more talkative. I don't give two s**** about getting some autographs, but seeing football players was a big part of why my son wanted to go. Not too big of a deal, but that's really the only negative comment I have about it. Other than the dang ol' protesters all over the place when we left.

All the volunteers working there were super friendly and really made it worth going. I thought it was a well-run event. I would not go anywhere near there next weekend, though, as I imagine it will be an absolute madhouse.
Matsui
AG
What were people protesting?
Jackal99
AG
Trump's immigration orders. And probably Trump in general. Cops had them behind barricades. I'm not smart enough to upload a video, or else I would try.
NWE
AG
We had a blast. Only stayed Saturday night at the Marquis and the convention center is next door. My daughter was a trooper and most of the posters on this thread were correct in saying it would be more fun for a child a little older than 3. I threw the football through the square target and my daughter did the similar game in the Nickalodeon zone.

Personally, I loved watching the people making the Wilson game balls before my eyes. I bought one as my souvenir with both team logos on it.

The autograph sessions were lame and we skipped the line. They have cameras pinned on the players and whoever was up there when we walked by looked less than thrilled.

My daughter and I did the obstacle course and it was so much fun. After about 2 hours in there, she was melting down. I would've stayed longer and acted like a big kid some more.

Overall, super glad I went. Friendly local volunteers wanting to chat about the big game, and we had the best view of fireworks off the convention center roof later in our corner king room.

Left after 17 hours total in Houston and wish I could've stayed longer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.