If the browns offered both firsts and their second this year

1,881 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Carlo4
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Their 1st and second next year

Would you trade dak?
NukeAg10
AG
No. Cowboys struck gold, and now need to build a defense while having a QB with 4th round money for three years.
TyHolden
AG
I would. Hell yes. We could build a D and still ride Romo and whoever to the SB. We're still gonna be great. Our oline is fing gold.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i would not.

however if they offer up their 2017 1st, and 2nd, their 2018 1st, and 2nd, and their 2019 2nd I'm not gona lie...I'm listening.

The Shank Ag
So 5 picks but one less first rounder?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i think i misunderstood what you were asking...(user name checks out joke forthcoming)

to clarify..

the minimum i'd accept is

2017 1,2
2018 1,2
2019 2

to trade Dak. even then, I'm thinkin hard about it but I think I do it in the end.
jr15aggie
AG
Nope!

People make ridiculous trades all the time for college kids that may never make it in the NFL, but you have to gamble cause a franchise QB is that valuable.

No way no how do you ever give one away once you find it.

Just think of it in terms of business... Assuming Dak only gets better, the Cowboys will at least be relevant/competitive for the next 10+ years. You cannot put a price on that in terms of ticket sales and marketing.
BBQ4Me
AG
That's basically a very high first, mid first, and a late first. I think Jerry would listen

Edit: not saying it's a smart trade, but Jerry would listen
diehard03
Quote:

No. Cowboys struck gold, and now need to build a defense while having a QB with 4th round money for three years.

Eh, Dak deserves everything people have said about him, but I think he'd even tell you that he is benefitting a lot from Oline, running game, and big time WR that he can throw jump balls to.

2 1s and 2 2s is craziness in that respect.
ac04
to add a bit of context, to get RG3 washington gave:

2012 1st and 2nd
2013 1st
2014 1st

to get goff + a 4th and a 6th, rams gave up:

2016 1st, two 2nds, and 3rd
2017 1st

to get wentz + a 4th, eagles gave up:

2016 1st, 3rd, and 4th
2017 1st
2018 2nd

these were all to move up and grab a guy who had never taken an NFL snap. on the other hand, dak just had arguably the best rookie season ever. three 1s and two 2s is really not all that unreasonable, and if i were the cowboys i'd probably pass
Ryan34
AG
There is no amount Cleveland could reasonably offer that would be enough for Dallas to trade Dak IMO.
Shoeless Joe
It's a quarterbacks league. No, I do not make that trade.
94chem
Any pick that passes through Cleveland's hands is eternally damned, so no.
Buck Compton
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

i think i misunderstood what you were asking...(user name checks out joke forthcoming)

to clarify..

the minimum i'd accept is

2017 1,2
2018 1,2
2019 2

to trade Dak. even then, I'm thinkin hard about it but I think I do it in the end.
I think what you're missing (like most folks on this thread) is that Cleveland has TWO first rounders this year. PLUS the first pick of the second round.

So that gives you:
17 - 1,12,33
18 - Top 10, Top 40

Your "I'd probably do it" offer is worse than what he proposed.

I think the Cowboys would be crazy not to do that. Ask Andrew Lick how no defense works out. Dallas is good, but your OLine and RB make the team go right now.

Your defense is rough and getting worse. You have Claiborne, Carr, Church, and McClain as FAs, and are 8M over the cap with only 43 players under contract. You need another 6-7M just to sign draft picks. Cutting Romo gets you some wiggle room, and cutting Witten gets you some more, but that defense could be VERY bad next year. With your current draft position, you'll likely get one, maybe two defensive starters. Shedding the Romo contract MIGHT get you super bowl worthy by the final year of Dak's cheap rookie contract.
rsf0626
Why would you trade your future franchise qb for unproven college players who may or may not work out? Good qb's in the nfl are not a dime a dozen

The cowboys will have to address defense late in the draft or through free agency
PatAg
AG
rsf0626 said:

Why would you trade your future franchise qb for unproven college players who may or may not work out? Good qb's in the nfl are not a dime a dozen

The cowboys will have to address defense late in the draft or through free agency
I think you mean in every round of the draft
Buck Compton
AG
PatAg said:

rsf0626 said:

I think you mean in every round of the draft
Yep. Defense is going to be that bad.

And there is no free agency for the Cowboys this year. Jones kicking the can down the road finally caught up with them. Front 7 (minus Lee) looks pretty bad for next year with hardly any pass rush, and two of your top rated secondary players (Claiborne and Church) along with the one that took the most snaps (Carr) are all gone.

I think Dak played well this year, but I don't grade him nearly as high without the league's best OLine and running game. QB (while of the utmost importance) is not the only position on the field - ask the Colts. If you were to add what basically amount to 4 first rounders to your defense next year, then there are QBs (including a healthy Romo) that make you immediate super bowl favorites. I'm not saying it's a no-brainer or no risk, but I think it does a lot to get you where you need to be. It shouldn't be immediately shut down.
corleoneAg99
AG
The answer to the question this thread poses depends on what your smartest football people think about Deshaun Watson.

If I can trade Dak, get a slew of picks, and grab Watson to run this offense like Dak did behind that OL and with that RB....I think about doing the trade Orlando poses.

I personally think that with the right coaching Deshaun has a chance to be as good as Dak. Fun hypothetical but obviously not remotely likely.
Jimmie Dimmick
When you have to turn around and spend one of those picks on a QB in hopes to strike gold again - which is unlikely, that really kills it for me.
TyHolden
AG
corleoneAg99 said:

The answer to the question this thread poses depends on what your smartest football people think about Deshaun Watson.

If I can trade Dak, get a slew of picks, and grab Watson to run this offense like Dak did behind that OL and with that RB....I think about doing the trade Orlando poses.

I personally think that with the right coaching Deshaun has a chance to be as good as Dak. Fun hypothetical but obviously not remotely likely.
garrett vs watson would be a tough one. i'd bet we'd grab myles and let the qb we grab later sit behind romo for 1-2 years. in reality, cleveland could / will grab watson this year but we're not cleveland if we have romo. i think we beat everybody with romo and any bit of a pass rush this year. not knocking dak. our pass rush was ridiculous.
TyHolden
AG
hell, walter football has watson falling to the second round. nfl.com has him going first.
Texker
AG
I would purely on the basis that the Browns think it's a good idea.
Charlie 31
AG
Charlie 31
AG
Charlie 31
AG
Charlie 31
AG
Carlo4
AG
OP saw a movie with Kevin Costner...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.