Neutral fan - I thought the Cowboys spike was the right call

1,031 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by diehard03
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't really have a rooting interest in the game the other night (Broncos fan), but loved watching the game unfold.

I think the spike was the right call. Here's why :
1. You need that last timeout for a Field Goal try. You never want to spend your last timeout with 40+ seconds on the clock.

2. When you use your last timeout, the middle of the field becomes un-usable in that circumstance. Limiting Dak to using just the sidelines when Green Bay knows it is a recipe for an interception or a stupid play that could lose you the game. Almost any sack pretty much guarantees you a loss as well. Spiking the ball keeps the whole playbook open.

3. Cowboys were going for the touchdown. They thought they could win the game on that drive, and if that's what you think, you're not afraid of the two downs to get 10 yards. The two plays immediately preceding the spike were both first down passes. (25 yards and 10 yards, I believe) Green Bay couldn't stop you at all in the second half. Dak was locked in, and was playing well beyond his years. As a playcaller, at this point I would be very confident in my ability to score a touchdown, while the clock would be the only concern.

Add that all up, and I think the spike was the right call. It was about a 50/50 call that had to be made in a split second, but I think they made the right one. Of course in hindsight, if you knew you weren't going to get 10 yards in the next two plays, you would do things differently, but that's not how the world works. Knowing what we did at the time, I would absolutely do the same thing and I think most other NFL coaches would too.

Bonus : Dak is the real deal. I thought he was a novelty that would get figured out by the end of the season. I was wrong. He will be fun to watch in the years to come. It will be interesting to see his sophomore progression versus what the league learns about him in the offseason film study.
ac04
they were trashing the GB defense, should have lined up and run another play immediately. way too much time on the clock to waste a down there and no need to burn timeout yet at that point. of the three available options, spiking the ball was the worst choice. it did do a great job of providing rodgers enough time to beat them though.
diehard03
Quote:

they were trashing the GB defense, should have lined up and run another play immediately.

I think the unsaid thing is that they weren't prepared to do so.
CoppellAg93
AG
ac04 said:

they were trashing the GB defense, should have lined up and run another play immediately. way too much time on the clock to waste a down there and no need to burn timeout yet at that point. of the three available options, spiking the ball was the worst choice. it did do a great job of providing rodgers enough time to beat them though.
Technically, Beasley getting pushed OB on 2nd down and the incompletion on 3rd down is what left time on the clock - not the spike.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I didn't like the spike but i didnt like not calling a run play even more. I understand you're goin for the TD but it was imperative to get yardage while not leaving time for Rodgers. An Elliott run woulda done that. You still coulda taken a couple of shots at a td.
diehard03
The spike made run/pass on 3rd down irrelevant. GB had an extra TO they would have used if they stopped them on 3rd down anyway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.