Cowbows what if

881 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jeffdjohnson
lespaul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I realize with such a close loss, you can point to almost anything which favors the cowboys and conclude it would've changed the outcome:

* 38 yard penalty on butler likely cost us the game
* What if they called holding on the last pass by rogers (would've send game to OT but not assured a win)
* gone for it on first drive (3rd and 2)
* on last drive if we'd not spiked it (or ran on third and fourth instead of throwing and kicking)
* The league hadn't suspended gregory

My question is, would we have won if they would've drafted the best DE in the draft instead of Jaylon smith? I still feel using a high pick (34th) on someone who you don't get anything from for at least a year (risky beyond that). I think if they took Noah Spence, they win that game and possibly the SB. Big mistake IMHO.

corleoneAg99
AG
Not IMO and I didn't like the Smith pick at the time.

Their use of picks on projects like Gregory and Smith or to trade up for guys like Mo and DLaw cost you depth and I do think it's fair to say that over the years that lack of potential depth has kept them from winning more games and or going deeper into the playoffs.

But just within the context of that game I think Rodgers was going to find a way no matter what. He's football Jesus right now.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The biggest fail was not recognizing they were indeed a player away at pass rusher away. Their ridiculous hope and expectation that Gregory would play and play well. Their inability as the trade deadline approached to recognize David Irving while good at times was not a 16 game guy but instead was a guy that when going up against decent Tackles was very mediocre. Sure he played well vs subpar OL but when the OL across from him was good he didn't show up. Tapper got injured then as well and was never likely to contribute this year yet they held out hope he would inexplicably. Ridiculous expectations of a rookie DL who has barely seen any action.

That one position and their screw up of it going back to last offseason cost em a SB appearance. Sad thing is its almost an identical issue as the the 2014 reason they missed the SB. And they responded to that by getting Hardy instead of a long term real reliable solution.

Frustrating because many of us right here on the boards called it. The season basically ended exactly like we thought.
corleoneAg99
AG
And that has a domino effect of course because now they're going to have to go after some DB's, too.

They need to hit of their first 3-4 guys on the draft and get a low key FA add or two, IMO.
jeffdjohnson
That game 100% should have gone to overtime, that was a direct failure by the coaching staff. Pure panic in my opinion. Having said that, if Rogers gets the ball first in overtime then I don't think the Cowboys see it again.

As far as the Spence vs Smith thing, it's difficult to say. Spence was good this year and I liked him coming out of college. Not sure if one DE is enough to swing the game Sunday. Plus it is still very possible that that Smith has a better career.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.