Spiking the football

2,926 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Warning...stay away from this article if you dont wana feel like giving Garrett a beat down all over again. Unbelievable.
The problem is that the decision to spike was not justifiable in real time. It's not an "in retrospect" move, like the Seahawks throwing the ball from the 1 yard line (because they had burned a TO after the long completion due to not hustling down the field...but I digress). It didn't require all of the deep stats provided in the article. All that was required was a proper feel for the game, an appreciation of just how long 49 seconds is, of how much can be accomplished. Yet, Garrett panicked. He panicked just like the Oilers did, when they played for a FG to tie Buffalo at 38 to force OT. He wanted to gather his thoughts, but they already should have been gathered.

...and, why did it take 18 seconds to execute a spike?
diehard03
Confidence in Bailey perhaps? He missed 3 of 6 from 50+ during the season, at least 2 of which were @ Jerryworld (and in same game against Tampa)

They certainly played that like they needed to get more yards.
TyHolden
AG
Should have faked the spike and thrown long pass. Veteran qbs do this all the time. Every now and then you catch the defense off guard. If not, it basically takes 5 seconds off the clock.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

Warning...stay away from this article if you dont wana feel like giving Garrett a beat down all over again. Unbelievable.
The problem is that the decision to spike was not justifiable in real time. It's not an "in retrospect" move, like the Seahawks throwing the ball from the 1 yard line (because they had burned a TO after the long completion due to not hustling down the field...but I digress). It didn't require all of the deep stats provided in the article. All that was required was a proper feel for the game, an appreciation of just how long 49 seconds is, of how much can be accomplished. Yet, Garrett panicked. He panicked just like the Oilers did, when they played for a FG to tie Buffalo at 38 to force OT. He wanted to gather his thoughts, but they already should have been gathered.

...and, why did it take 18 seconds to execute a spike?

Preachin to the choir brother...preachin to the mofo'in choir.
awinlonghorn
i think the spike was the right call. I dont want bailey rushing in to kick a 50 yard field goal with 5 seconds remaining.

bigger mistake is throwing the ball on 3rd and 2. If they had run it and not made it, milk the clock and get a TO
ce1994
AG
The Cowboys were not playing for the field goal when they spiked the ball. If it comes out that they were then I want Garrett fired.
DannyDuberstein
AG
awinlonghorn said:

i think the spike was the right call. I dont want bailey rushing in to kick a 50 yard field goal with 5 seconds remaining.
I don't think anyone is advocating using the TO there instead. You keep the TO in your pocket to give yourself the flexibility to use the whole field in the last 20-30 seconds and avoid that Bailey scramble. The main argument is that another 6-8 seconds of clock time to actually call a hurryup play at the line and potentially gain yards was preferable to throwing away a down with that much time left in the game.

To ce1994's comment, Garrett confirmed they were playing for the TD, not the FG.

In the end, I think the decisioin was made because Dak is a rookie and Garrett was looking for a "let's stop the clock and catch our breath" break without burning his last TO. I just don't think that is worth burning a down and leaving yourself needing 10 yards with only 2 downs.
diehard03
I think if it's anyone but Rodgers, that's not a bad play.
Ag12thman
AG
ce1994 said:

The Cowboys were not playing for the field goal when they spiked the ball. If it comes out that they were then I want Garrett fired.
People act like he's one of the best coaches in the NFL, but I feel like he's pretty average and he has a very poor playoff W-L record as well as a poor playoff appearance record in his tenure. I'm sure he does things off-the-field, but on-the-field he just listens to the coaches in his headset, chews gum, high-fives players, says "good job" as they run off the field, and that's about it.
Ag12thman
AG
awinlonghorn said:

bigger mistake is throwing the ball on 3rd and 2. If they had run it and not made it, milk the clock and get a TO
That was pretty bad. Hand it to Elliott and see if he can break a tackle or two and score. He did it against Pittsburgh.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree about using Elliott on 3rd. And if he does make it, then you are at a point in the game where I'm fine with the spike. Just not at 49 seconds.
ce1994
AG
I just feel that spike was a panic move. Time was not a factor at that point.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it was largely about the fact a rookie was running his 2 minute drill, so a "let's take a second and gather ourselves" took over. However, I think Dak has shown he's more than capable and they should have kept things rolling. They just ran 2 incredibly successful plays. It almost gives GB a chance to gather themselves.
diehard03
it would have kept GB from subbing too, if i'm not mistaken.
DannyDuberstein
AG
diehard03 said:

it would have kept GB from subbing too, if i'm not mistaken.
It would have. Now the 2nd down play they ran to Beasley underneath was fine, but that's the one I wanted to see on 1st. Part of the issue is that when you have a defense on its heels in the 2 minute drill, you keep pushing, even if it's just one more underneath throw. Keep them reeling. It's very much comparable to electing to sacrifice bunt after you have a rally rolling -> don't let the pitcher gather himself by giving him a free out.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.