Spiking the football

2,923 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it the general consensus JG screwed that up? I hate giving up a down with that much time on the clock. Then again they probably lose 10 seconds if they don't spike it.. Seems like a couple simple plays should be ready to go.
Ervin Burrell
AG
It was borderline. I was yelling for them to do it in real time, but I certainly can see pros and cons of doing both.
Grapesoda2525
At least use the time out and save the down

They should've been playing for the TD there and not the field goal like they were
Ag12thman
AG
grapespda2525 said:

At least use the time out and save the down

They should've been playing for the TD there and not the field goal like they were

This.
jeffdjohnson
http://thespun.com/football/the-cowboys-decision-to-spike-it-ultimately-cost-them-the-game

They willingly turned 3 downs to get 10 yards into 2 downs to get 10 yards. I was salty about it when it happened but it is only worse in hindsight. Now we know the Cowboys "saved" time to ensure Rogers had 3 seconds left to stick in the dagger.
Grapesoda2525
It's one of those things where you spike it and nobody cares if you pick up the first down, but because they didn't. It was a bad decision for sure.

That's the way I see it.
CrazyDayDuck
Garrett is an abject idiot.

The guy has no sense at all when it comes to clock management.
PooDoo
AG
Clocking the ball cost a down and allowed the Pack D of gather themselves. Should've continued attacking the D. They were on the ropes.
option short side
AG
grapespda2525 said:

It's one of those things where you spike it and nobody cares if you pick up the first down, but because they didn't. It was a bad decision for sure.

That's the way I see it.
the 3rd down play on that series dez was wide open on the slant but the ball was batted down. It's a game of inches and it didn't work out for us on that play but spiking the ball was the right call on 1st down for sure
Grapesoda2525
I still would've used the time out
option short side
AG
grapespda2525 said:

why? So we have 40 seconds no timeouts? That decreases our chances of scoring a td.
snowdog90
Hindsight, terrible play call. The thought there should have been:

1. Get a td OR
2. Get a tying fg with no time for Rodgers left.

Clocking the ball defeated both purposes, stopping the clock and losing a down. Just really bad decision.

Also, the ensuing kickoff needed to NOT go to the endzone. A touchback gives the packers 25 yards in 0 seconds. They needed to kick inside the 5 and make a tackle before the 30, taking another 5-8 seconds off the clock.

Bad coaching the whole game by the Cowboys.
option short side
AG
snowdog90 said:

1. Get a td OR

Clocking the ball defeated both purposes, stopping the clock and losing a down. Just really bad decision.

Also, the ensuing kickoff needed to NOT go to the endzone. A touchback gives the packers 25 yards in 0 seconds. They needed to kick inside the 5 and make a tackle before the 30, taking another 5-8 seconds off the clock.

good points. The kickoff definitely should not have gone into the end zone. But a 50 yard fg is never a given
Frok
AG
If they had got the first down on the third down play then they would have had the ball in striking distance with a timeout in their pocket.

You can blame it on the spike but it had more to do with not making a play on offense and defense when it mattered most.
ce1994
AG
This one hurts. Oh well. See ya'll next year.
Aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

Clocking the ball cost a down and allowed the Pack D of gather themselves. Should've continued attacking the D. They were on the ropes.

This
I was yelling not to spike the ball.
You're already in Fg range and not spiking takes time off the clock which you want as well.
But you have the defense on their heels and spiking gives them a timeout and chance collect themselves.
IMO it's a momentum killer for the offense
DTP02
AG
I was yelling against the decision at the time and still hate it now. They had plenty of time left when they spiked it. Of the three options, calling timeout, spiking it, or running a play, spiking it was the worst choice:

You reduce your chance to get the first down and keep the drive moving by 1/3. You increase the chance of giving GB the ball back with too much time. You give a reeling GB defense time to recover. It's just a dumb decision.

My choice would have been to line up and run a play designed to get the ball to the perimeter and hopefully out of bounds. With the ease at which Zeke was getting to the edge all game you could have even run the ball there and likely gotten a solid first down gain and out of bounds.
94chem
I was yelling not to spike it. It was a bad play. It wasn't as bad as the play calling at the end of the first half, though, when Elliott didn't touch the ball in 3 downs, and the Pack got the ball back with 40+ seconds.

Also, don't forget that Bailey messed up the final kickoff. That was supposed to be a directional kick to the goal line, taking 5 seconds off the clock during the return. He kicked it too deep. OT if Bailey executes the kickoff correctly.
94chem
Quote:

With the ease at which Zeke was getting to the edge all game you could have even run the ball there and likely gotten a solid first down gain and out of bounds.
Zeke ran for the winning TD against Pittsburgh in almost the exact same situation.
4stringAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

1. Get a td OR

This. Exactly this. Worse case scenario is you kick the FG with no time left. No need to spike the ball already in Bailey's range. Just go with your standard hurry up and run the next play. And you still had a timeout left to use later if required to stop the clock for a game tying FG.

Just a dumb decision given the QB on the opposite team is who he is and you know...kind of good in crunch scenarios.

ac
grapespda2525 said:

Problem with that would have been that if you don't get out of bounds on 3rd down, the clock runs and you might have a problem getting the FG team on the field.
FTAG 2000
AG
Terrible decision. But Garrett's a mental midget when it comes to clock management.

In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that surprising.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Yes we absolutely pissed the game away there with the spike. Garett is the worst clock manager in the league. It baffles me that he has a job as HC
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
snowdog90 said:

1. Get a td OR

i just cant imagine in what world the Cowboys thought it was an acceptable idea to leave Rodgers with 40 secs.

if they run the ball one time only there they pretty much leave him no time instead. and this is not hindsght, many of us said it as it was happening during the game. yet once again, JG couldn't figure this out.

what an absolute missed opportunity this season.
DannyDuberstein
AG
clocking a ball with 49 seconds is moronic. You give yourself little margin for error to get a 1st, and if you don't make it, there is a very good chance you are handing the ball back with 30-40 seconds. And that's assuming your kicker makes the 50+ yarder you just left him. And that is an eternity for a team with 2 TO's, Rodgers at QB, and a leg like Crosby's where they don't have to do much more than crosss midfield.

An NfL 2 minute drill should be competent enough to get that olay off with 42-44 seconds left. SAVING 5-7 SECONDS IS NOT WORTH SURRENDERING AN ENTIRE DOWN WITH THAT MUCH TIME LEFT.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

clocking a ball with 49 seconds is moronic. You give yourself little margin for error to get a 1st, and if you don't make it, there is a very good chance you are handing the ball back with 30-40 seconds. And that's assuming your kicker makes the 50+ yarder you just left him. And that is an eternity for a team with 2 TO's, Rodgers at QB, and a leg like Crosby's where they don't have to do much more than crosss midfield.

An NfL 2 minute drill should be competent enough to get that olay off with 42-44 seconds left. SAVING 5-7 SECONDS IS NOT WORTH SURRENDERING AN ENTIRE DOWN WITH THAT MUCH TIME LEFT.
Garrett panicked. Simple as that. He was in a moment he couldn't handle or understand and he called for something ridiculously stupid. Many average fans coulda managed that situation better than he did.
ce1994
AG
The Cowboys obviously do not practice those situations. It is all about practice. You practice it and the moves become second nature. Yesterday Rodgers did not even look like he cared most of the time because the moves were second nature.

Garrett is a terrible coach.
Wisconsin_Ag
Quote:

That may go down as the most accurate statement ever made on TexAgs.
Macarthur
ce1994 said:

The Cowboys obviously do not practice those situations. It is all about practice. You practice it and the moves become second nature. Yesterday Rodgers did not even look like he cared most of the time because the moves were second nature.

Dak says they practice those every week. I'm not sure if I'm more upset if they don't, like you say, or they do practice that every week and still F'ed it up.
jeffdjohnson
https://theringer.com/cowboys-packers-dak-prescott-spike-2e6aba1a8c5e#.q8g7vfc60

Quote:

The Cowboys' spike was the strangest in football this season. NFL teams opted to spike the ball 69 times this year, including the Cowboys' spike on Sunday night. Only eight spikes took place with 45 seconds or more remaining in a half. Six of these were by teams that did not have a timeout remaining; one of the only remaining two was by the Cowboys on Sunday night.

Quote:

This goes to highlight the rarity of what Dallas did and the potential consequences of misplaying a spike situation. In all the successful situations we listed, teams were smart to recognize that time had become more valuable than downs. That simply wasn't the case for the Cowboys.

Quote:

Like a sacrifice bunt, it's an intentional decision to not try to succeed offensively when the game's rules have given a team the chance to do so.

#FinishTheSpike
4stringAg
AG
Quote:

Like a sacrifice bunt, it's an intentional decision to not try to succeed offensively when the game's rules have given a team the chance to do so.
At least with a sac bunt there's a strategic decision to give up an out to advance a runner.

Dallas' spike was like doing a sac bunt with no one on base.
Grapesoda2525
My nickname for Garrett has always been "mr. Conservative". He generally plays a game "not to lose" instead of "playing to win". He's not the right coach for this team in my opinion. If you're coaching a team that has average to below average talent, coaching "not to lose" is ok because your thought process against teams much better than you is to try and just "hang in there". Yesterday, the team should have been looking to assert themselves on the ground and keep Rodgers on the sidelines as much as possible. When you have good talent, you need a coach that is aggressive and "plays to win". It's unfortunate because that Garrett probably has a vagina or very small testicles.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

https://theringer.com/cowboys-packers-dak-prescott-spike-2e6aba1a8c5e#.q8g7vfc60

Quote:

The Cowboys' spike was the strangest in football this season. NFL teams opted to spike the ball 69 times this year, including the Cowboys' spike on Sunday night. Only eight spikes took place with 45 seconds or more remaining in a half. Six of these were by teams that did not have a timeout remaining; one of the only remaining two was by the Cowboys on Sunday night.

Quote:

This goes to highlight the rarity of what Dallas did and the potential consequences of misplaying a spike situation. In all the successful situations we listed, teams were smart to recognize that time had become more valuable than downs. That simply wasn't the case for the Cowboys.

Quote:

#FinishTheSpike

Warning...stay away from this article if you dont wana feel like giving Garrett a beat down all over again. Unbelievable.
ce1994
AG
I am so glad I am not the only one that thought that spike was a dumb move.
W
AG
yep, the spike is for when you don't have any timeouts left
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.