Doug Marrone to the Jags

1,375 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Matsui
SilverTongueDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And this is why they Jags are the Jags.

They hire a guy who was a loser as a college head coach and has already failed as an NFL head coach. In addition, he walked out on the Bills by exercising an unusual clause regarding a change in ownership.

Despite the Jags having some promise heading into this year they sucked again. Marrone has been the OL coach for the Jacksonville the past 2 years.

When has it ever worked to hire from within on a perennial losing team? I'm sure its happened but cant remember when especially when the guy who is hired is a 2 time failure. They were considering Coughlin and he would have been a much better option.
redag06
Didn't necessarily fail as a head coach in Buffalo he actually had the bills moving in the right direction to be derailed by Ryan. He left after leading the bills to their first winning season in a decade or something crazy. Coughlin IMO is too old to be a head coach, being vp of football operations is a good spot for him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's very fitting that a guy coaching the Jags has a name similar to "moron". Surprised Cleveland didn't hire him.
ORAggieFan
Jason Garret?
Jeff Fisher with the Titans
Going way back Marc Levy
Matsui
AG
I don't get it. Just recycle the same round of coaches. I really don't. Do these guys just interview well?
Matsui
AG
It's like NFL owners and gms are scared to hire some of the coordinators from the best teams in the league.
bilbobag
I like the combo of Coughlin in the front office and Marrone as the coach.
SilverTongueDevil
Jax was predicted to really turn it around in 2016 and a lot of experts had them going to the playoffs. They went 3-13. If Im the owner there is no way I promote someone from the present staff to take over.

Marrone just has too many negatives IMO. He walked out on the Bills players thinking he was going to get the Jets HC job, really weird situation if you remember it.

Another interesting question. How many offensive line coaches have gone on to become good NFL HC's? There are a few but its is rare.
oh no
AG
Jax has an OL problem. Pretty solid or at least promising young defense... what position was Marrone coaching at Jax the last two years?
Matsui
AG
OL
oh no
AG
sorry; that was meant as a rhetorical question
LeonardSkinner
oh no said:

Jax has an OL problem. Pretty solid or at least promising young defense... what position was Marrone coaching at Jax the last two years?

Jax does have an OL problem. But it's not quite like it seems.

Joeckel got injured too much and was a bust, and a waste of a #2 pick. Beadle was a FA reach. So between injuries and ability, the left side of the line was barely serviceable for the last couple of years.

This season ended with essentially a 4th string LG and 2nd string C. Linder is highly graded at C, but got hurt. Cann and Parnell are decent on the right side. Beachum is a good LT.

Gave up 34 sacks on the year, below the league average. If they get a good interior lineman in the draft or free agency, and stay healthy, then the line will not be a problem.

Outside if health, the five offensive questions are:
1. Bortles
2. Bortles
3. Consistency at RB
4. Is the TE a weapon?
5. Bortles
W
AG
as a Texans fan, I am pleased with the hiring of Marrone.

what I'm concerned about is Jax hitting another home run with their 1st round pick at #4.

(like they did with Ramsey last year)
oh no
AG
as long as they have Bortles and we have Brock, should be some great defensive matchups in the coming years.
BMX Bandit
I think it's a little too early to say that he failed as an NFL coach.

He made a bizarre move in leaving Buffalo, but he was 9-7 in year 2
Iowaggie
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

Another interesting question. How many offensive line coaches have gone on to become good NFL HC's? There are a few but its is rare.

How many good NFL HC's are there by TexAgs standards?
I wonder if Belichick and Saban ever sit and laugh at how the teams in their divisions just churn through coaches every 3 years or so in the NFL and 4-6 years or so in the SEC.
Matsui
AG
I'd say going 8-8 in the NFL is pretty damn solid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.