Would realignment help interest in the NFL?

11 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Little Rock Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering what MLB has done with interleague play and stressing natural geographic rivalries, maybe it would be a good dose of medicine for the NFL, too. Here is a possible realignment scenario:

AFC East
New York Giants
New York Jets
New England Patriots
Buffalo Bills

AFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders

AFC South
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Atlanta Falcons
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers
Philadelphia Eagles
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

NFC East
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers

NFC West
Los Angeles Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks

NFC South
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
Tennessee Titans
New Orleans Saints

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions

It's not perfect, and it would take away from some traditional rivalries, such as the Skins-Cowboys, but I think maximizing the geography would add intensity to the pro game.
45-70Ag
AG
The division with Dallas would be awful.
Sea Gull
AG
Do not want. Plus the NFL would never break up the NFC East. Too much history there.
JW
AG
No
Mathguy64
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Plus the NFL Cowboys and Jerry Jones would never allow the break up of the NFC East.
FIFY
BMX Bandit
Terrible.

Say Chowdah
AG
Giants AND Jets in the same division? WTH?
ATM9000
AG
Pretty clear you just took the AFC divisions, packed the key teams with what you think is geographically closer rivals, then took a crap on the NFC (other than the North) and filled in the gaps with whatever was left over
birdman
You got it all wrong.

Jets and Giants are in a different conference. The television rights for those conferences are bid on separately. They will always have them in different conferences. Nobody wants to buy the rights and not have a team in New York.

Same with Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Same with 49ers and Raiders.

Now maybe the television networks can convince the NFL to allow them ala carte broadcasting. Then the networks could draft which games they want to broadcast each week.
agdaddy04
AG
Aren't they already doing that? Or is it only a few games per year?
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
I like it
Frok
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Do not want. Plus the NFL would never break up the NFC East. Too much history there.

Well.....A&M stopped playing Texas so anything is possible.
birdman
NFL allows NBC to flex a few games late in season for their Sunday Night Football broadcast. If they are stuck with a stinker game, they can swap it out for better game off the Sunday afternoon schedule.
TyHolden
AG
Too much history, rivalries built over time.
Aggie
AG
DSAg44 said:

Yeah pretty funny 99.9% of this board didn't feel the same way about the A&M-Texas game
Sea Gull
AG
Aggie said:

DSAg44 said:

Yeah pretty funny 99.9% of this board didn't feel the same way about the A&M-Texas game

There's a huge difference in NFL and college football, dude. Changing divisions in the NFL does nothing.
PascalsWager
AG
Why not just include a single annual natural rivalry game. Especially if they make the 18 game schedule.
W
AG
it's an interesting discussion.

perhaps think about it from the standpoint of teams that might be interested in changing divisions.

would Miami be willing to change divisions and get away from the 3 long-distance cold weather roadtrips?

I bet the 4 teams in the AFC South would listen to offers. Perhaps Tampa Bay as well. Maybe Cleveland too.

----

Cowboys fans...let's say Miami was added to the NFC East and the Eagles were moved elsewhere. Would that cause heartburn? Seems like an improvement or upgrade
Sea Gull
AG
Yup. Cowboys-Eagles is a premiere NFL rivalry. I hate those ****ers so much but love playing them twice every year.
jkag89
Duck Patrol said:

As well as with the AFC West.
birdman
By the way, all you young whippersnappers have forgot something. The NFL did reallign the divisions not that long ago.
Mateo84
AG
birdman said:

By the way, all you young whippersnappers have forgot something. The NFL did reallign the divisions not that long ago.
This
BigHitterDaLama
Replace Seattle in the West with Oakland and then send all 4 cali teams to Arena League or Canada.
Olsen
AG
The NFC South looks brutal here. Texans chances of winning this division are slim to none.
txagman1998
AG
I don't think there will be any major realignment anytime soon. I know Jerry will never let the Cowboys move out of the NFC East. Nor will some of those divisions where teams have played each other forever (AFC West, NFC North) change. Since a possible Raiders and/or Chargers move would still keep them in the western part of the country, that won't change anything.

The only move I can see the league making would be if the Jaguars moved to London. In that scenario, I could see them flipping divisions with the Dolphins. That way the London team would have natural rivalries with New England, New York, and Buffalo (with the possibility of the road game in Buffalo being played in Toronto).
Max Power
AG
It would be fun as a Houston fan to get to play different teams but I don't see it happening, too many divisions with too much history between them. I'd rather get to play Dallas and New Orleans every season but it Isn't happening. Only shot is if there are expansion teams or movement to the point where a relocation upsets an entire division, like if any team goes to London, but I find that unlikely. It's a novelty there like when EPL teams play over here.
BowSowy
AG
W said:

it's an interesting discussion.

perhaps think about it from the standpoint of teams that might be interested in changing divisions.

would Miami be willing to change divisions and get away from the 3 long-distance cold weather roadtrips?

I bet the 4 teams in the AFC South would listen to offers. Perhaps Tampa Bay as well. Maybe Cleveland too.

----

Cowboys fans...let's say Miami was added to the NFC East and the Eagles were moved elsewhere. Would that cause heartburn? Seems like an improvement or upgrade
I know many Eagles fans and love those two games a year. I absolutely wouldn't want to trade them for the freakin Dolphins.
Mr.Bond
AG
New Orleans, Houston, Dallas would be a ton of fun personally. I've always had an envy towards other divisions with close proximity. You likely have neighbors/coworkers who are fans of a division rival. Makes it much more fun. Look at the AFC North right now. 3 of the teams are all within 4 hours of each other. That's awesome.

But of course it'll never happen
Mr.Bond
AG
Irish_Man said:

Just curious, but based on what? Current talent? Parody is heavy in the league, landscape changes yearly
Goldie Wilson
Mr.Bond said:

Irish_Man said:

Just curious, but based on what? Current talent? Parody is heavy in the league, landscape changes yearly
Outside of the Cowboys, that whole division is a parody of a football team HEYOOOOOO
Mr.Bond
AG
Dan 07 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Irish_Man said:

Outside of the Cowboys, that whole division is a parody of a football team HEYOOOOOO
And the cowboys have been what exactly this millennium up until this season?
ORAggieFan
I'd rather see 4 instead of 8 divisions. Would make much better playoffs.
94chem
Quote:

Parody is heavy in the league
I laughed.
Azariah
AG
Go to 18 games. Put a month off in the middle. Players get a rest, and interest won't wane while we anticipate the arrival of the second half of the season.
Kellso
The NFC East is the most elite division in the NFL.

It is the only division where every team is in a major media market. The big market and heavy concentration on sports in Dallas, New York, Washington DC and Philadelphia means those games almost always have major ratings.

Tex Schramm was a genius in getting the Cowboys to play in the NFC East. Im not sure if the Cowboys would be as popular if they had always played in the NFC south.

Playing against huge East Coast markets is one of the reasons the Dallas Cowboys are a National Sports Franchise and a World Wide brand.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.