After Rams moved, fewer people watched the NFL in LA

4,066 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigjag19
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe the numbers show you are wrong about people flocking to live there

I haven't looked at it, but would guess pension issues are hurting the area government
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I wonder why the Chargers are playing at the Stubhub Center instead of the Rose Bowl Stadium...

My understanding is that neither the City of Pasadena nor UCLA want an NFL team as a tenant at Rose Bowl Stadium, even on a temporary basis.
amercer
AG
Years of corrupt government for one thing. When I moved there in 2002 three city councilmen were under investigation by the FBI. All three got reelected. Two went to jail, and one killed himself.

Also, Californias economy is HUGE, but its boom and bust. In boom times the government spends like crazy, but there's no cuts when the economy busts. So debt is enormous.

Plus thanks to prop 13, property taxes are way below market values. This both drives up housing costs by reducing inventory (you don't move if you are paying super low taxes on your current house but would have to pay 10 times more tax for your new house) and means that the housing boom isn't a boom for tax revenues.
BMX Bandit
In the long run, Rams will make a ton. I think Chargers will be a disaster and gone very soon
Kellso
BMX Bandit said:

In the long run, Rams will make a ton. I think Chargers will be a disaster and gone very soon
They will both make a ton of money.

The new stadium they are building in Inglewood will rival Jerry World as the nicest stadium in the NFL. Perfect location for a stadium. Right across the street from the Forum where the Lakers used to play. 5 minutes from the 405 and 105 freeway. 10 minutes from LAX Airport.

They are building it on the site where the Holllywood Horse racing track used to be.
oh no
AG
how long until the San Antonio Chargers' first home game?
ORAggieFan
The vote that failed would have added a tourist tax to hotel rooms and rental cars.

I agree, cities shouldn't be funding. But, at the same time, the Spanos family is not like the new NFL owners rich. They don't have a billion.

Like most, I didn't grow up in San Diego. My #1 team is the Seahawks. Being different divisions now, it was easy to root for the Chargers as well. I had hoped to take my kids to games as they got older. Now they'll join me when I see the Seahawks play the Rams in LA.

Really is a bummer to lose them though. I wonder if we'll be forced to watch their games now or we end up not having a local team and can get the good games. Be funny if ratings went up.
Matsui
AG
More people moving out of San Diego county than in:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/data-watch/sdut-net-migration-census-2016mar24-story.html
Matsui
AG
It definitely is a perfect location and definitely where population in SoCal is moving towards. SD and LA are getting closer together population wise.
Matsui
AG
It really sucked this year with the Rams and TV. I have redzone, so it was a bit easier. But there were plenty of times where the Rams vs. whoever were the only game on in that window.

I follow this weekly to find out what the local broadcasts will be:
http://506sports.com/nfl/
Sapper Redux
jja79 said:

Of course I do. He said only city to have 2 NFL and 2 NBA teams. They play in a different state right?

And the new football stadium will be in Inglewood, not LA. So does that mean that LA will have no NFL teams?
bigjag19
AG
My point exactly.

NY within city limits has 2 nba, 2 NHL, 2 MLB.

Extend to NYC area you add 2 NFL and 1 NHL.

LA in city limits has 2 NBA, 1 NHL, 1 MLB.

Extended adds 2 NFL, 1 NHL, 1 MLB.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

I think we'll see the Las Vegas Raiders first.
Out in Left Field
AG
Dey gonna make bank

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217
jja79
AG
Dr. Watson said:

jja79 said:

Of course I do. He said only city to have 2 NFL and 2 NBA teams. They play in a different state right?

And the new football stadium will be in Inglewood, not LA. So does that mean that LA will have no NFL teams?

Does it matter?
oh no
AG
dabo man said:

Quote:

I think we'll see the Las Vegas Raiders first.

My $ is on the London Jaguars
ORAggieFan
Inglewood is LA. Just like Manhattan is is NYC.
TXAggie2011
AG
amercer said:

Sad day, but the city of San Diego has no business paying for a stadium.

SD is the best place in the world to live, but California is broke at every level of government. Schools in SD have one half day every week because staying open 5 full days a week costs too much.

Not really the case.

The half days are a contractual thing between SDUS and the teacher's union to provide work time for teachers, and are something schools in and around San Diego have had before.

San Diego, like a lot of places around the world, have some major pension issues on top of other stuff.
TXAggie2011
AG
W
AG
something to ponder...did the Chargers lack of success on the football field ultimately result in the team's moving away?

in other words...if the Chargers had 2 or 3 Super Bowl championships and a couple of other Super Bowl appearances...would the fervor among the fans and in the city have been enough to come up with the money for a new stadium?
TyHolden
AG
oh no said:

the Shargers
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

why the Chargers are playing at the Stubhub Center instead of the Rose Bowl Stadium

Because for whatever reason, the Rose Bowl does not want an NFL team. They seem to be satisfied with 5-6 UCLA games, the actual Rose Bowl, and whatever other events they can muster. Adding 10, maybe as many as 12, dates isn't worth it to them. The NFL has noticed as they haven't hosted a Super Bowl in 25 years after having about a fifth of the ones before then.
bigjag19
AG
I imagine the people of Pasadena don't want it either. If you've never been there, there is no parking. It's a stadium in the middle of a park. To add 10 football games would be a problem most residents don't care to deal with.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.