After Rams moved, fewer people watched the NFL in LA

4,064 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigjag19
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An astounding turn: After Rams moved, fewer people watched the NFL in LA
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/an-astounding-turn-after-rams-moved-fewer-people-watched-the/article_677f2d53-d614-5968-8930-bf4180d34ebc.html
I came across this in the STL newspaper today while trying to catch up on the Cardinals offseason. It's a long story, but basically Rams TV ratings are way down in LA from what they were in STL the first 20 seasons, off significantly from ratings in season 21 in STL (when everyone knew the Rams were on the way out of town), and (what shocked me) TV ratings in LA were lower in 2016 than they were in 2015 when the city had no team.

I only skimmed it, but here are some of the numbers:

I know that the Rams are probably a "success" simply moving from the #20 TV market to the #2 market, but will they even be able to sell out their home games in "Silent Stan's" new stadium?
cman1494
AG
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the LA market used to get the premier Fox games every week, but now they are bound to watching the Rams on Fox because of the NFC-Fox agreement, so fans that have no allegiance to any team aren't watching or are choosing streaming methods for other games so they don't have to watch bad Rams football.
BBQ4Me
AG
Ratings were higher in the past because they would air the best NFL games of the week for the LA market. People would rather watch a good matchup than the train wreck Rams
W
AG
UCLA and Southern Cal say "I told you so"
Matsui
AG
Agreed. Last year we got all sorts of prime games. Now stuck with the ****ty Rams. People couldn't give away tickets to the games this past season. And why the chargers want to be here is stupid. No one will show up. That's 16 home games a year

But the owners don't care. They don't make a big percentage of their money by ticket sales and concessions anyhow.
Matsui
AG
And then we also got a lot of charger and raider and San Fran games instead of the bigger national games. It sucked this year if you didn't have redzone or Sunday ticket.
ORAggieFan
This is why the Chargers to LA won't happen. I'd expect the NFL to throw another $100 mil towards the SD stadium efforts.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ratings will go up when Romo is starting for em next year.
oh no
AG
according to Maryl Streep at the movie awards show last night, Trump wants to kick all foreigners and foreign-born actors out of the country so the only art left in L.A. is evil football and MMA. This is like Armageddon for hollywood folks.
Matsui
AG
The inflated self worth of Hollywood is amazing.
Kellso
ORAggieFan said:

This is why the Chargers to LA won't happen. I'd expect the NFL to throw another $100 mil towards the SD stadium efforts.
The San Diego Chargers will be playing in Los Angeles next year.

It is going to happen.
Olsen
AG
Los Angeles, the only city in the county to have 2 NBA teams and 2 NFL teams.
txagman1998
AG
Looks like the Chargers move could be a boon for San Diego State, both athletically and academically:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/growth-development/sdut-sdsu-qualcomm-redevelopment-2016apr05-htmlstory.html
bigjag19
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Los Angeles, the only city in the county to have 2 NBA teams and 2 NFL teams.

A particular reason you don't count New York? The new LA stadium is basically the same distance out of town as MetLife Stadium.
jja79
AG
Probably because they play in an entirely different state.
Sapper Redux
jja79 said:

Probably because they play in an entirely different state.

You know NYC is located directly on the border with Jersey, right? You can see Manhattan from East Rutherford.
bigjag19
AG
It's easier to get from manhattan to the stadium for a game than it will be to get from LA Live to the new stadium for a game.
jja79
AG
Of course I do. He said only city to have 2 NFL and 2 NBA teams. They play in a different state right?
Matsui
AG
I'm still in a little shock. No one will attend these games. At least the Chargers will make their games "appear" full with playing in a 27,000 seat stadium for the first couple of years.
Matsui
AG
It isn't like they are building massive parking lots either for these teams. It is a fiasco to try to get to the games.

Dodger fans are well known for showing up in the 3rd inning and leaving in the 7th inning. It will be no different for football, UNLESS, the teams are very very good.
. . .
"Los Angeles Chargers"
ORAggieFan
Sad day in San Diego. Surprised they are doing this. Rams for the most part have been a failure with their move and they had a history in LA.

Logo is a pathetic copy of the Dodgers.

I'm going to laugh when they can't fill that 30k seat stadium.
752bro4
AG
Going to be a whole lot of 8-8 bullshirt in LA over the coming years.
BMX Bandit
ORAggieFan said:

Sad day in San Diego. Surprised they are doing this. Rams for the most part have been a failure with their move and they had a history in LA.

Logo is a pathetic copy of the Dodgers.

I'm going to laugh when they can't fill that 30k seat stadium.

It's a safe assumption that Kronke disagrees with you
dabo man
AG
I know that the value of the Rams skyrocketed moving from a small market to LA, but is the NFL, as a whole, better off with fewer people watching on TV (both in LA and STL)? The Rams move, to me, seems to benefit Stan Kroenke and no one else.

I can't comment on the Chargers, because I don't know what the difference in revenue will be at Kroenke's new stadium versus Qualcomm. Missouri had actually put together a plan to build Silent Stan a $1.1 billion stadium. The NFL dismissed it because they said that the state actually had "only" $1 billion of funding in place and was using smoke and mirrors to come up with the other $100 million. AFAIK, the San Diego never had any kind of stadium plan.
ORAggieFan
San Diego has had a few plans. The latest that they were expecting to be announced this week had the city, county and SDSU contributing.

As for the Rams, Kronkie probably does disagree with me. My comment more on the NFL as a whole. But, the Chargers are different as well. They are Kronkie's little biatch now.
TheCougarHunter
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Good call
Olsen
AG
I wonder why the Chargers are playing at the Stubhub Center instead of the Rose Bowl Stadium...
Matsui
AG
I doubt that instant jump in value the Rams and now Chargers owners have doesn't make it a failure at all.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbespr/2016/09/14/forbes-announces-19th-annual-nfl-team-valuations/#6bf123a32fd3
Matsui
AG
Didn't the city vote in Nov to not help build the stadium? I think that was the final nail in the coffin.
Matsui
AG
B\c they can't fill it. And I imagine having the Trojans/Rams/Chargers all playing there this fall may be too difficult logistically to get done.
ORAggieFan
Matsui said:

Didn't the city vote in Nov to not help build the stadium? I think that was the final nail in the coffin.
Yes, it failed miserably. But, the city council was working on another solution.
amercer
AG
Sad day, but the city of San Diego has no business paying for a stadium.

SD is the best place in the world to live, but California is broke at every level of government. Schools in SD have one half day every week because staying open 5 full days a week costs too much.
Matsui
AG
Having the tax payers pay for a stadium is a terrible idea. I hate that. These owners are worth billions and want tax rate increases to pay for it.

BUT how much longer were they supposed to wait? It isn't new news the Chargers wanted to get a new stadium or leave. Why didn't the council do this last year OR the year before. Some fault belongs on San Diego as well.
TheCougarHunter
AG
I don't get how SD is so broke. It is one of the top tourist destinations, the housing market is through the roof, people from all over the country flock to live there. Seems like major government mismanagement.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.