I have finally decided that NFL head coaches...

1,546 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rudyjax
CT75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...and most in college are just dumb a**es when it comes to clock strategy. Anyone watching the last 2 minutes of the Oakland_Carolina game will understand. Oakland may win....but they gave Carolina a punchers chance.
Rudyjax
AG
Most people who have played Madden or any other game have more experience managing the clock than football coaches.
birdman
They also don't understand when to go for 2 points.
Ag_07
AG
I think they're overall so-so at clock management but I also think it's WAY harder than anyone knows.

They're on the sidelines in the heat of a game, with the clock running, with multiple people in their ear, talking with players/coordinators on the sidelines, all while having to make quick decisions.

It's more than just watching the clock and making a call.
jr15aggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think they're overall so-so at clock management but I also think it's WAY harder than anyone knows.

They're on the sidelines in the heat of a game, with the clock running, with multiple people in their ear, talking with players/coordinators on the sidelines, all while having to make quick decisions.

It's more than just watching the clock and making a call.

This. We definitely have the benefit of a bird's eye view with the game clock, play clock, number of timeouts, etc. all nicely presented on our HD TV.

And similarly, I'm amazed at how good players are at knowing where the first down is... It's like they can see the yellow line too.
birdman
It's not that complicated. They have a coach for every situation and position. And there are tons of other assistants. Surely, they can assign a guy to understand clock management. Or just print a simple chart, it would improve things. There aren't that many variables.
Ag_07
AG
birdman said:

It's not that complicated. They have a coach for every situation and position. And there are tons of other assistants. Surely, they can assign a guy to understand clock management. Or just print a simple chart, it would improve things. There aren't that many variables.

WOW
birdman
Down, time remaining, opponent timeouts. That's really all you need to know. It's not that complicated.

And most coaches lose tract of it. They try to process that information on the fly and fail. Plus, they start thinking of play to call, player substitutions, etc. Eliminate the noise with a chart. Or have a coach that isn't dodging bullets who can help the head coach at end of game.

1st down and opponent can stop the clock twice...How much time can you kill by playing smart?

That is simple scenario. And coaches screw it up way more often than they should.
agdaddy04
AG
Here's one where it's on the player. I know it goes against natural instinct, but the Denver receiver shouldn't have scored and now they're headed to overtime.
CT75
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Here's one where it's on the player. I know it goes against natural instinct, but the Denver receiver shouldn't have scored and now they're headed to overtime.
And then Kubiak screws up clock management with passing playcalls (2 incompletes that stop clock) at the end of overtime just before his failed FG attempt....granting much needed time to KC and setting up their winning bank shot.
investorAg83
AG
Unthought Known said:

Most people who have played Madden or any other game have more experience managing the clock than football coaches.

You also have direct control over EVERYONE on the field. You can't fix stupid when stupid has the ball.
Rudyjax
AG
investorAg83 said:

Unthought Known said:

You also have direct control over EVERYONE on the field. You can't fix stupid when stupid has the ball.

True. But I'm talking about taking time outs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.