Browns absolutely quit on Manziel

19,644 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by RockPrairie
Jacques
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I'm not saying practice doesn't matter but I saw today that when he was able to throw from the pocket (meaning the play was designed for him to) he made the throws he was supposed to make. Obviously I can't see practice but Johnny has the ability imo
Talent will never enter the picture if he doesn't put in the time.
Tressels Vest
AG
quote:
quote:
Ok, Here we go my initial thoughts and review of Manziels first start

Johnny in no way shape or form looked mentally prepared for the speed and pace of the nfl game. From the get go his mechanics went completely out the window. Throwing off his back foot, never setting his feet, not going through progressions etc. Imo this is a reflection on not only johnny but also the coaching the staff. Preparation is on the player and the coach. I don't think any of us truly believed Johnny would come out in his first start and set the world on fire, because honestly how often has any rookie qb done that? But I for one definitely didn't expect it to be that bad. It was kind of a murhpys law type of day, whatever could go wrong for Cleveland went wrong. Their Defense who had actually been playing quite well had one of their worst performances of the season, surrendering over 6 yards per carry. The offensive line was absolutely man handled all day by a very physical Cincinnati front 7. WR dropped passes, didnt come back from their routes to help a qb in stress etc. Now am I stating these facts as excuses for Manziels dreadful day? Absolutely not. They were just factors that certainly didnt help any shortcomings the young rookie was having in his first start.

My biggest issue in all of this (which some on here, BMX being one will disagree) is the game plan Kyle Shanahan has for Manziel. I don't understand it and I certainly dont agree with it. Manziel has NEVER EVER been a zone read qb. Johnny isnt a running qb, hes a qb who is capable of extending plays when they break down, Johnny isnt a RG3 type athlete, nor does he have Mike Vick speed. We have always known this. Yet again Shanahan is calling up designed qb sweeps and run plays, did he not learn his lessons from getting Griffin murdered? Play action doesnt work well either when no one respects your teams over all running game, yet lets continue to call it and have Johnny get murdered before he can finish the play action. I believe today we saw flashes of exactly what johnny can be in this league. When he had time to sit in the pocket and set his feet he threw some fantastic balls (some dropped but thats another issue)

Johnny has a lot of maturation to do in order to get where he needs to be. Those giving up on him at this point is simply a ridiculous decision. The kid has a total of 6 quarters underneath his belt, lets give him a full offseason with #1 reps, a chance for the browns to be HIS team for a season and see where he goes. Far too premature to cast him as a bust.

Im sure this was a tl;dr for most of you but these are my late afternoon Sunday thoughts on Johnny Manziel
There was a story that he was completing only about 40% of his passes in practice the week before his start. My guess is he hasn't put in the work.

Link?
Jacques
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24906699/signs-of-johnny-manziels-struggles-evident-in-poor-practice-outings
agproducer
AG
Just an FYI, in the link about the writer says his source "estimated" Manziel completed about 40% of his passes. We don't have an exact percentage and I think the writer is just trying to give some info to backup his claims Manziel had a bad week of practice. There could be questions about his preparation, but I think trying to quantify it with an estimation from a source is just bad journalism.
Jacques
quote:
Just an FYI, in the link about the writer says his source "estimated" Manziel completed about 40% of his passes. We don't have an exact percentage and I think the writer is just trying to give some info to backup his claims Manziel had a bad week of practice. There could be questions about his preparation, but I think trying to quantify it with an estimation from a source is just bad journalism.

I think he's probably not practicing well or putting in the work.

Yet.

The game has been easy for him to this point. I think rookie QBs struggle with the work required.
Memphis 7
trying to use these 12 possessions to back up their claim manziel can't play in the NFL.
sorry if I don't buy that.

if anything is being proved, it's Shanahan is not the right OC for Manziel.

Johnny needs to get out of cleveland at any cost,
If he had a full year like the other 3 I don't doubt for a second he would be ahead of them all.
pagerman @ work
AG
quote:
With things so bad in his debut, the Browns are trying to instill more fundamental pocket work in the game plan this week, sources said, with fewer read-option looks or plays that would lead directly into Manziel taking off running. The hope is to slow him down a little and get him playing the position more soundly and traditionally, without sapping his athleticism.

This is what they should have done in the first place.
Mr.Bond
AG
Browns HC Mike Pettine announced Johnny Manziel's hamstring injury has ended his season.
. . .
Season over as he was ruled out for the finale.
Memphis 7
hoping that means johnny told them to trade him.
who cares about perception, he will never succeed in Cleveland, his only chance is to get out.
Mr.Bond
AG
Johnny isn't getting traded
Memphis 7
thanks, ray.
Muy
AG
Hoyer has a shoulder injury and is day to day as well. Guess he all of a sudden became too small for the NFL as well, Browns fans. Karma is a ***** for that miserable fanbase. What in the world made them feel entitled for a rookie qb to play like a Hall of Famer in 1 game?
W
AG
looking ahead to the draft...Cleveland is on track to have the 14th and 16th overall picks -- the Browns have Buffalo's pick. Should be able to get an o-lineman at one of the spots and maybe another WR
. . .
Johnny Manziel: I know I have to take this a lot more seriously

quote:
One of the observations that stuck with Manziel is that he needs to be more of a professional heading into his second season. Manziel said Tuesday, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, that he "still had the college mindset a little bit" when he came into the league and that he's come to realize that he'll need a different approach to succeed at this level.

"I have to take this a lot more seriously. It's a job for me now," Manziel said. "I'm not the Johnny Manziel that came in here a year ago. It's been a year of growing up for me."
Mr.Bond
AG
Bills requested HC interview with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan, per team source.

Oh god please
redag06
Wouldn't get your hopes up(not that it will change Johnnys short football career)I think the bills have now requested interviews with 15 coaches.
SeattleAgJr
Ag_07
AG
Kyle Shanahan could be on the move this off season. Either as a HC or as an assistant with his dad.

Per PFT

This can only be good for Johnny and the Browns
. . .
Cleveland Browns' Kyle Shanahan will consider lateral move because of friction between coaches and front office, sources say

quote:
Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will consider leaving Cleveland -- even for a lateral move -- because of friction between some of the coaches and some in the front office, multiple league sources have told cleveland.com.
quote:
Three teams are interested in possibly hiring Mike Shanahan as head coach and Kyle as offensive coordinator, sources said. They are the 49ers, Raiders and Bills. Mike Shanahan has interviewed with those teams and will also interview with the Chicago Bears.
quote:
Kyle Shanahan was eager to strike out on his own again, but landed in a situation that has become dysfunctional for him, the sources said. The biggest problem, they say is that the personnel side and coaches aren't seeing eye to eye on some key issues. One source said some coaches became upset when a high-ranking personnel member texted from the press box to the sidelines about play calls.

The coaches also may have felt pressure to start Johnny Manziel in the biggest game of the season, with the playoffs on the line. No mandate was given from the front office, but some staffers felt that the higher-ups wanted to see what their No. 22 overall pick could do. Shanahan did his best to bring Manziel up to speed, but it was evident he wasn't ready to play when he started against the Bengals, and flopped miserably.

Now, it appears that general manager Ray Farmer is willing to give Manziel another shot next year, and not everyone in the building is in agreement that the former Heisman Trophy winner has what it takes to succeed. Browns coach Mike Pettine has said the quarterback situation is "muddy at best'' and that the Browns will leave no stone unturned in their bid to fix it.
quote:
The Browns would have to let him out of his contract in order for him to make a lateral move. Not even the additional title of assistant head coach would enough for the Browns to have to let him go.

Shanahan looked forward to stepping out his father's shadow in Cleveland and re-establishing himself as a top coordinator in his own right. But if Mike takes a head job and wants to hire Kyle, it's a good bet he'll ask the Browns to let him go.

At that point, they'd likely have no choice but to accommodate him, considering it's the top offensive position on the club. If he doesn't want to be here, the Browns are unlikely to force him to stay.
Mr.Bond
AG
Interesting and not surprising
Memphis 7
Shanahan did his best to bring Manziel up to speed, but it was evident he wasn't ready to play when he started against the Bengals, and flopped miserably.

uhhhhh......
uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok.

. . .
Johnny Manziel lived up to the red flags and then some during rookie season
Texker
AG
Unfortunately it appears JFF is a talented knucklehead. Hope he pulls it together over the off season but not betting on it.
pagerman @ work
AG
Ouch.
MW03
AG
this is going to leave a mark...

PFT running with the ESPN story
quote:
Last year at this time, Manziel was all about football, stubbornly refusing media requests as he stayed out of the limelight and (supposedly) focused on getting drafted as high as he could. Ultimately, it was an Eddie Haskell routine that the Browns should have spotted.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
He's just a kid. Everything will be alright.
bilbobag
He's going to need to win over his teammates in the process.
27RUSA
quote:
As one unnamed player told ESPN.com, Manziel's rookie year was a "100 percent joke."
quote:

that sounds like someone disgruntled. I'm gonna guess here... Brian Hoyer?
"100 percent" sounds butthurt.

it's also anonymous.
which for that quote... is a joke.

BBQ4Me
AG
A kid who may be out of the league in a year if he doesn't get his act together.
RockPrairie
He's a dumbass. If he really gave a crap about becoming a legit NFL quarterback then he's done just about the opposite of what he should've been doing. Doesn't know the plays, doesn't show up for treatment, partying before games...he's a bonafide knucklehead. Hilarious how many Ags wanna make excuses for him. Loved what he did for us at A&M but the dude is a mental midget and the NFL is exposing that now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.