Job Network
Sponsored by

Resume Writing Services

1,508 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting the process of looking for another job (IT Project Manager). I've been with my current company for 10+ years so my resume hasn't been touched up in a long while.

Does anyone have a recommendation on professional services that can do this? Below are the top 3 identified from a Google search. I'm doing well for myself financially, so the below example prices are not of concern.

I am not good a resume writing. I've been in the IT field since 1999 so I have a lot of experience but want to make sure I present it in the best possible manner.

I am not looking for someone off of TexAgs to do this for me!

Rudyjax
AG
There's a person that uses this board to shell their resume writing services. I would not recommend them.

Any of those would work.

As a PM, put yourself in the shoes of you are hiring a PM. What do want to know about them? That would be my starting point.

Summary
Chrono job history with achievements (ahead of schedule, under budget, timelines, etc)

The rest is pretty easy.

Deputy Travis Junior
I think resume services can help you polish your resume, but I wouldn't rely on them to do the heavy lifting unless you can find one that specializes in your area. Otherwise, they won't know enough about your field to adequately address all its nuances.

Here's what I'd recommend. Spend an hour on indeed looking at target jobs and copy down all the skills and experiences that they want you to have. Once you've done that for a dozen or so jobs, you can compare them to get a pretty good idea what skills are in high demand and by extension what you need to highlight. Build your job experience and skills sections and make sure that you include projects that highlight all of skills you uncovered (or just list them directly in technical skills).

THEN you can go to a resume service to help you improve your formatting, language, presentation, all that.

Next level resume building has you doing this for every single job application you submit, but I don't think it's worth that much effort (minus the occasional dream job application).
JamesPShelley
Deputy Travis Junior said:

I think resume services can help you polish your resume, but I wouldn't rely on them to do the heavy lifting unless you can find one that specializes in your area. Otherwise, they won't know enough about your field to adequately address all its nuances.

Here's what I'd recommend. Spend an hour on indeed looking at target jobs and copy down all the skills and experiences that they want you to have. Once you've done that for a dozen or so jobs, you can compare them to get a pretty good idea what skills are in high demand and by extension what you need to highlight. Build your job experience and skills sections and make sure that you include projects that highlight all of skills you uncovered (or just list them directly in technical skills).

THEN you can go to a resume service to help you improve your formatting, language, presentation, all that.

Next level resume building has you doing this for every single job application you submit, but I don't think it's worth that much effort (minus the occasional dream job application).
That is great advice. The OP should, after identifying the skills which are in high demand, reconcile those skills with his/her experience and then start fleshing in the results and acomplishments so associated. You don't want to present a resume with language that reads like a job description. Results and acomplishments should be revealed... for a recipient of your resume is going to want to know what you achieved. If you're applying for their opportunity likely they're considering that you meet the requisite skills and qualifications. Highlight the high-level results and accomplishments.

Best wishes, OP!

Edited: Meet.
MookieBlaylock
AG
. If you're applying for their opportunity likely they're considering that you meets the requisite skills and qualifications. Highlight the high-level results and accomplishments.

I agree
Make sure you meets their qualifications

JamesPShelley
MookieBlaylock said:

. If you're applying for their opportunity likely they're considering that you meets the requisite skills and qualifications. Highlight the high-level results and accomplishments.

I agree

BTW, that was my star. Have a great day.
ABATTBQ87
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

I'm starting the process of looking for another job (IT Project Manager). I've been with my current company for 10+ years so my resume hasn't been touched up in a long while.

Does anyone have a recommendation on professional services that can do this? Below are the top 3 identified from a Google search. I'm doing well for myself financially, so the below example prices are not of concern.

I am not good a resume writing. I've been in the IT field since 1999 so I have a lot of experience but want to make sure I present it in the best possible manner.

I am not looking for someone off of TexAgs to do this for me!

Go to LinkedIn and look for others with your skills and experiences

Review their profiles and attached resumes

Use those as templates to craft your resume and profile
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

There's a person that uses this board to shell their resume writing services. I would not recommend them.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Many of us have used Mr. Shelley and find his services excellent and of great value. There have been many on TexAgs that have commissioned him and then were able to land that position that they were really wanting.

You may not find value in his services, but many mid level managers and executives that are Aggies have used him and are very pleased. I have read their testimonials. I highly recommend him if someone is looking for professional to commission for a resume overhaul.
Rudyjax
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Many of us have used Mr. Shelly and find his services excellent and of great value. There have been many on TexAgs that have commissioned him and then were able to land that position that they were really wanting.

You may not find value in his services, but many mid level managers and executives that are Aggies have used him and are very pleased. I have read their testimonials. I highly recommend him if someone is looking for professional to commission for a resume overhaul.
Congrats
BrazosDog02
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I agree

Sweet jeebus.

Can you tell us where the writer touched you? I just can't get my head around the level of anger and the desire to take a stab at every single opportunity that comes up on this board.

There is a distinct dichotomy with like or loathe and there is no in between. I do not know why. And yes, I have used his services. I paid for them. I was delivered an agreed on product. It was updated for free as I wished. That's all that was promised. I feel like people might be pissed that they didn't get a job from it but that was never a gaurantee that was promised.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Many of us have used Mr. Shelly and find his services excellent and of great value.

Who is this Mr. Shelly you speak of?
I know of a James Shelley who writes resumes
The Chicken Ranch
AG
And that's exactly why we use him!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.