Job Network
Sponsored by

Transgender Aggie daughter looking for SW developer job

13,450 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesPShelley
AggieDadFM19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this message. Some things aren't easy for me to explain briefly, and this is one of those subjects. I've been a TexAg subscriber going on 8 years now, and I've been mulling over posting this for a few weeks. I spend most of my time on the Premium Football forum and it can be absolutely brutal (hence my hesitation to post something this sensitive), but I love my kid and I would do anything to help her. I'll try to keep the history brief, but I think it will help people to better understand the situation.

In 2015 our biological son applied to Texas A&M, and was accepted into the honors engineering program. Through his college years we were just like most Aggie families (season football tickets, tailgate multiple times a year, entire closet filled with maroon clothing, deer hunting on A&M bye weekends).

In 2019 he proudly graduated with his degree in Computer Science, and took a job straight out of college working for a large managed service provider.

About 8 months post-college he came out to the family as transgender. I'll be honest, this was something that was quite difficult for me to wrap my head around, but in the end, we love our child, and that trumps everything. The family has done way better than we expected, and everyone has been accepting and supportive, including 79 yr old grandpa (TAMU class of '68).

As for the work situation, that has not been as easy. Within a few months of coming out it became apparent the company was going to run her off. Luckily, she was able to find another job as a Jr. Software Developer (Python, C++) at a cybersecurity company developing product integrations, and has been there for the past year. Over the holidays the VP of Engineering notified the team that their functions would be moving to India and everyone would be let go in the coming year.

She is now actively searching for a job in the DFW area, but it's not as easy as you would think to land a job when you are transgender and early in your career.

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but if there are any Ags out there who know of entry-level software developer positions in the DFW area we would eternally grateful! She's willing to start at the bottom and prove herself.

If you hear of anything, please DM me and I can broker the connection.
green tea
AG
Would she be open to a move to either Houston or Tulsa? If so, shoot me a DM.
AggieDadFM19
Thank you for responding! I will be speaking with her this am, and will send you a DM. Thanks again!
500,000ags
AG
Little bit surprising honestly given her arena is tech and software development.
AggieDadFM19
Thank you for your comments. I expected a few snarky comments.

As a father (and someone who has been exposed to something I never expected) the picture is drastically different than what either side will have you believe.

Most people of this community are not political activists (in fact, most despise politics from either side). They're not seeking attention. They're just trying to live life. That's all.
AggieDadFM19
Yep, I would have thought the same.
JBLHAG03
AG
If she sees anything at Wells Fargo let me know. I can submit as a referral.

Good job being a supportive dad.
TexDill15
AG
Lockheed in Fort Worth or Grand Prairie are almost always hiring for Cyber Security personal.

Not sure if Defense contracting is a turn off though.
Rudyjax
AG
I tried to help as a recruiting professional who has hired software for 20+ years, but apparently my help isn't needed.
AggieDadFM19
Thank you for the recommendation! Absolutely no problem with defense industry. I'll make sure this on her radar to look.
AggieDadFM19
My apologies if I missed a message from you, or appeared to ignore a message. Can I DM you to broker a connection?
Aston04
AG
Silicon Valley - being a trans engineer probably would be a big advantage.
Rudyjax
AG
How much linked in networking is she doing? I've found in software there's a ton of bias. She really needs to be working her network especially working the Lgbqt community.
CLB2008
AG
Have her check out jobs with SailPoint
If there are any she is interested in and applies for, let me know.
rkingjr
AG
I work for a Salesforce consulting company in Bryan-College Station that is transgender friendly. We're not currecntly hiring but we can certainly touch base as we are expecting to start hiring developers again soon. We also have people working remotely from Dallas, so I am sure that could be a possibility.
BrazosDog02
AG
I hope this doesn't come off an disingenuous but how does she present herself in an interview? I'm trying to understand why being transgender is even coming up. Are employers making assumptions? I only ask because, I am in a sales role, my appearance can and has impacted my sales. I live and grew up on a ranch and so I almost always have boots, jeans, a buckle, and a hat. However, this appearance has a stigma. I'm a dumb hick to some folks. If I lose the hat and put on slacks with everything else the same, it changes. I don't know why. So that's why im asking if she is discussing this stuff or if she dresses in a manner that is creating the stigma. While I don't like changing who I am for some goon trying to hire me, I might have to if that's what it takes.

Either way, sorry she has to go through that in terms of finding work. There are enough obstacles to overcome as it is without having to jump over personal biases as well.
AggieDadFM19
Thanks for your message. I doesn't appear that I can send you a DM. I'm not sure how best to connect with you to start a discussion.
AggieDadFM19
I don't view it as disingenuine at all. We're only 18 months into this, and by no means experts. We're just managing as we go. To your question, yes, she presents herself as female. That was actually a big deal at her prior company. She was hired as a male, and then came out. When she started presenting as a female - well, imagine working at a company where this guy you've been working with is all of a sudden female. Would that be hard to adapt to? Yep. After that she tried just presenting as male a few times, but eventually it's going to get out.

That's why she (and the family) have adopted the philosophy of "rip the bandaid off up front". Just get it out there early so you don't either mislead someone, or end up in a weird situation later.

Some people can handle that, with no weirdness, some pretend it's not weird, but are just hiding their real feelings (which will eventually come out), and some just can't handle it at all. I don't judge anyone. Your feelings are your feelings.

That's the reason I put it out there in my OP. I've got a smart kid who made it through A&M Engineering school (which I'm very proud of). Being different doesn't make it easy to get a job, so I thought I would reach out to the Aggie community to see if they might have any leads on job opportunities.
AgLA06
AG
I wish them best of luck.

I mean absolutely no negativity with this post, so if it comes off that way, I apologize.

I imagine this can difficult for a lot of reasons. There's just going to be people uncomfortable around this situation even if they have nothing but good intentions. Let alone those that will be up in arms. One would think that would be one of the best industries to be able to continue in and find a good environment.

Have y'all considered moving to a place more conducive to the work and life environment? Maybe even focus on remote work opportunities?
Ag_07
AG
First off props for how you've handled your situation.

Second I'm not in that field and am of not much help.

What I'm curious of is if she was let go for her transgender status whether it be ill intended or not are there any legal repercussions she could take?

I'm completely ignorant to the legal rights of transgenders and if they're a protected class but it seems like there would be some kind of ramifications for letting someone go based on their gender preference.
coastalAg
AG
Email me - username at aggienetwork dot com
BrazosDog02
AG
I think, unfortunately, her situation will get better but it may be a fight. Let her fight it because the world has a little bit to go before it treats her totally right. I can say at 25, I probably would have had some kind of issue with this at my workplace because I'm young and I know How the world works and I get to judge everyone because I'm insecure and invincible and I got it all figured out. At my current age, I don't care. I'm purely interested in her ability to do a task assigned, I now have an actual understanding of what I don't know and how to treat people. I'm also a LOT more libertarian at my age than I was out of college so, I think this is just a result of age, wisdom, and experience. As a matter of fact, I had a good friend at work that was a girl that came out as a boy and changed her name to a more masculine version of her name. It was unusual to be sure, but he wasn't a different person or anything and most everyone was quite supportive. We were science degrees and most of us had "issues" of some kind and just kind of understod each other. I guess my point is that I feel like this situation will get easier as certain…people….retire or die off. We are seeing serious changes in the workplace.

Keep up the good work, support her like you're doing, and make her tough. Sometimes you just gotta out your head down and keep beating on a door until someone opens.

And if it doesn't, then maybe she can do her own thing and be a contractor or consultant and charge some industry schnooks a years salary for a day of consulting.
Gyles Marrett
Amazes me the number of employers out there make it obvious or come close to making it obvious even with discrimination in hiring. I care about one thing and one thing only, can you do your job successfully and help us make money. Whether I agree or disagree with your personal life decisions I could not care less about when hiring....and I'm a hardcore conservative.

I've witnessed first hand employers discriminate against all races, sexes, orientations, and even women for being pregnant and admit to doing so. It's idiotic.

Not in the field so I can't be much help but wanted to say you're a good father even if I disagree with your child's choices and I hope she's extremely successful in her career moving forward and I hope anyone who uses her personal life choices against her in the workplace fails miserably in their careers.
AggieDadFM19
JBLHAG03 said:

If she sees anything at Wells Fargo let me know. I can submit as a referral.

Good job being a supportive dad.
She found an opening at Wells Fargo. How can I get in touch with you to connect her for a referral?

Thanks!
Astroag
AG
AggieDadFM19 said:

I'll apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this message. Some things aren't easy for me to explain briefly, and this is one of those subjects. I've been a TexAg subscriber going on 8 years now, and I've been mulling over posting this for a few weeks. I spend most of my time on the Premium Football forum and it can be absolutely brutal (hence my hesitation to post something this sensitive), but I love my kid and I would do anything to help her. I'll try to keep the history brief, but I think it will help people to better understand the situation.

In 2015 our biological son applied to Texas A&M, and was accepted into the honors engineering program. Through his college years we were just like most Aggie families (season football tickets, tailgate multiple times a year, entire closet filled with maroon clothing, deer hunting on A&M bye weekends).

In 2019 he proudly graduated with his degree in Computer Science, and took a job straight out of college working for a large managed service provider.

About 8 months post-college he came out to the family as transgender. I'll be honest, this was something that was quite difficult for me to wrap my head around, but in the end, we love our child, and that trumps everything. The family has done way better than we expected, and everyone has been accepting and supportive, including 79 yr old grandpa (TAMU class of '68).

As for the work situation, that has not been as easy. Within a few months of coming out it became apparent the company was going to run her off. Luckily, she was able to find another job as a Jr. Software Developer (Python, C++) at a cybersecurity company developing product integrations, and has been there for the past year. Over the holidays the VP of Engineering notified the team that their functions would be moving to India and everyone would be let go in the coming year.

She is now actively searching for a job in the DFW area, but it's not as easy as you would think to land a job when you are transgender and early in your career.

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but if there are any Ags out there who know of entry-level software developer positions in the DFW area we would eternally grateful! She's willing to start at the bottom and prove herself.

If you hear of anything, please DM me and I can broker the connection.

Have her check Crowdstrike (if she wants to stay in cybersecurity) and let me know. I can refer internally.
AggieDadFM19
Will do! Thanks!
JBLHAG03
AG
Please email me a link to the opening and her info. I have to input it on my side then it will send her the application to fill out.

Never got an email so deleted my address

Lake08
I might have missed it, but why are you doing all this vs your child doing it?
AgLA06
AG
Lake08 said:

Where does it say anywhere the child isn't doing anything?

Lake08
AgLA06 said:

Lake08 said:

Where does it say anywhere the child isn't doing anything?

Was just wondering why the child didn't post it vs the dad
AggieDadFM19
She's not on TexAgs
AggieDadFM19
Thanks! I'll relay the message asap.
FIDO*98*
AG
AggieDadFM19 said:

I wouldn't think it's easy at all. I'm going to be brutally honest here, but hopefully it can provide some insight.

I've interviewed for dozens of positions over the last few years and one thing is fairly consistent. The job usually comes down to multiple qualified candidates so it is rarely decided by skill set. The offer goes out to the person who can do the job and fits in best with the team. It's tough to imagine a scenario where a trans person especially a male to female is going to be a better fit in an in-person work environment.

The reality is discrimination is used in every single competitive job opening. If qualifications are equal, an attractive person will beat out a less attractive person, a fit person will beat out a fat person, a taller person will be favored over a shorter person, an extrovert will beat out an introvert, etc.

In your daughter's case that means she will have to be significantly better than the next person in most cases which means applying for positions she is slightly overqualified for or taking less money with an employer that isn't as competitive with compensation

-Has she considered moving to Austin or even California? It may be a bit easier it integrate than a more conservative area like DFW
-Is she open to remote WFH positions? I'd wager a hiring manager would have fewer concerns if there aren't office issues to consider
AggieDadFM19
All good advice. Thank you, and yes the topic of relocation has been discussed - probably a year or two out.
Rudyjax
AG
FIDO*98* said:

AggieDadFM19 said:

I wouldn't think it's easy at all. I'm going to be brutally honest here, but hopefully it can provide some insight.

I've interviewed for dozens of positions over the last few years and one thing is fairly consistent. The job usually comes down to multiple qualified candidates so it is rarely decided by skill set. The offer goes out to the person who can do the job and fits in best with the team. It's tough to imagine a scenario where a trans person especially a male to female is going to be a better fit in an in-person work environment.

The reality is discrimination is used in every single competitive job opening. If qualifications are equal, an attractive person will beat out a less attractive person, a fit person will beat out a fat person, a taller person will be favored over a shorter person, an extrovert will beat out an introvert, etc.

In your daughter's case that means she will have to be significantly better than the next person in most cases which means applying for positions she is slightly overqualified for or taking less money with an employer that isn't as competitive with compensation

-Has she considered moving to Austin or even California? It may be a bit easier it integrate than a more conservative area like DFW
-Is she open to remote WFH positions? I'd wager a hiring manager would have fewer concerns if there aren't office issues to consider

I think he's aware of all this. That's why he's asking for help.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.