Job Network
Sponsored by

How many interviews does one company need?

6,381 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by AgLA06
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talked to the guy earlier this week. They are asking me to run their San Antonio office...which would be a huge opportunity and is exciting.

I threw out a bigger number than he offered thinking it would scare him off and then I wouldn't have to make a decision.

He called my bluff and went up $15,000 in his offer ($40k pay increase for me), added an additional 32 hours of PTO and 5% end of year bonus incentive (if the office made a $1,000,000, I'd get an extra $50k at the end of the year).

I didn't commit. I said I wanted to see the office, meet some of the staff, and visit on strategy and other items.

But he's sending a formal offer letter next week.
ag94whoop
AG
Money is not most important thing.

My papaw always said it's not about how much money you make. It's about finding something to do and a place to do it that you are willing and happy to wake up and do for a large part of your life. Do something you enjoy with people you enjoy and the rest will work it's way out.
TXAGGIES
BrazosDog02 said:

After about 10 years of experience in a professional field, I stopped doing interviews where there was more than one, any that included bull shat questions like "describe your best or worst trait", etc. I stripped my resume down to pure professional stuff and focused hard on interviews that were more practical. Unfortunately, you have to go to them to find out what kind of bull**** it is but I ended up with an ego that I was there doing them a favor. Eventually after a few good contract gigs I eventually decided I just needed to run my own show, which is what I did and do. The interview process at these firms is amazing to me. I don't know what kind of idiots they hire or are running things but man….it's crazy.
HR is trying to show their worth....
BrazosDog02
AG
It's just frustrating because everyone here in a professional career doesn't need a bullcrap interview like they are being recruited out of their college department. At some point you end up with the mindset of "I'm a pro, this is what I've done, hire me or don't, but don't dick around and waste my time."

As a professional career develops the offerings transition from the candidate needing the hiring company to the hiring company needing the candidate. In other words going from "please please hire me, I'll do anything you want" to "I'm doing you a favor by darkening your door, get on with it."
bmks270
AG
My company does some phone screens and then an on-site. The on-site has a lot of 1-1s covering culture fit, technical knowledge, and us selling them on the company. I think it's effective for determining if candidate's are a good addition to the team or not.
AgLA06
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Talked to the guy earlier this week. They are asking me to run their San Antonio office...which would be a huge opportunity and is exciting.

I threw out a bigger number than he offered thinking it would scare him off and then I wouldn't have to make a decision.

He called my bluff and went up $15,000 in his offer ($40k pay increase for me), added an additional 32 hours of PTO and 5% end of year bonus incentive (if the office made a $1,000,000, I'd get an extra $50k at the end of the year).

I didn't commit. I said I wanted to see the office, meet some of the staff, and visit on strategy and other items.

But he's sending a formal offer letter next week.
Here's the deal.

That guy had 9 months to run that place into the ground and completely screw this company with perspective clients and their reputation. While I'm sure you'd be a breath of fresh air, you're now facing a much bigger uphill battle in which important things may no longer be in your control. Especially if it's not in your home base city with all your connections and contacts. Just keep that in mind.

My suggestion is to see if you can quietly go to lunch or drinks with the owner / managing partner where you are and ask for feedback on how it's going. Don't even mention this opportunity. If it sounds good and it matches what you think, broach the topic of partnership / ownership in the future. Their thoughts on it, what it would take, and what it might look like for you and them.

If they balk, then explore other options like company A. Otherwise, my recommendation is to gain some more experience where you are, build a solid reputation in upper management and pick the right time to take your shot. Because in a small industry like this, you may only get one ( I was in the industry for almost a decade and went another direction when my firm balked at making me a partner).

And while the added PTO will be nice down the road, your ability to use it in the near future if you so choose to try and right the ship probably won't be great.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.