Job Network
Sponsored by

How many interviews does one company need?

6,355 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by AgLA06
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had my third meeting/interview yesterday with the same guy for a firm. They are hiring someone to lead their new office in SA. I was under the impression that it was between me and another guy. Yesterday he told me he hired the other guy. This confuses me a little because he still kept our meeting and also introduced me to the founding principals of the firm yesterday.

I think he still wants to hire me but now he's asked me to meet and visit with the guy he just hired, who I thought was my competition. I guess to see if we're compatible and can work together running the office…?

I did get another offer the day before so I was able to leverage that into hopefully getting something official from these guys soon because I've been talking to them since the end of October.

What should I make of all this? What's the holdup?
Petrino1
AggieArchitect04 said:

I had my third meeting/interview yesterday with the same guy for a firm. They are hiring someone to lead their new office in SA. I was under the impression that it was between me and another guy. Yesterday he told me he hired the other guy. This confuses me a little because he still kept our meeting and also introduced me to the founding principals of the firm yesterday.

I think he still wants to hire me but now he's asked me to meet and visit with the guy he just hired, who I thought was my competition. I guess to see if we're compatible and can work together running the office…?

I did get another offer the day before so I was able to leverage that into hopefully getting something official from these guys soon because I've been talking to them since the end of October.

What should I make of all this? What's the holdup?
Thats strange. I think you should ask the firm guy for clarification.
birdman
Sounds like a horrible place to work.

I would definitely do the next interview just to see the chaos.
Mmetag10
AG
If he's still talking to you sounds like he wants you to work for the other guy to me. I'd walk
Rudyjax
AG
Mmetag10 said:

If he's still talking to you sounds like he wants you to work for the other guy to me. I'd walk
The former but not neccessarily the latter. see what happens.

And yes, ask for clarification.
JamesPShelley
When the other guy quits... your price goes up 30%.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Sounds to me like a company bogged down by inertia and indecision. Anyone that needs to interview you more than two times is a giant red flag.

I'd walk and take your other offer.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Had a series of interviews recently with a Japanese tech company. After the 4th interview, 2 with same person, I asked what the timeliness was for decisions to be made. They said I had another 3 to go and I declined on the spot. That is an incredible waste of time. I start tomorrow with a new career. There was 1 15 min HR interview and a 1 hour interview with my new peers and boss. Exactly how it should be.
AggieArchitect04
AG
OP Here.

Company B is negotiable on salary after I told them the salary range Company A is offering. I had a follow-up lunch meeting with Company B. They seem pretty laid back and I THINK I would enjoy the work more.

Company A is who the post was about. I called today to ask for clarification. Basically the guy wants to hire us both and let us naturally settle into our roles...running the office/business development vs running projects. Sounds like more stress and still some ambiguity. Probably more travel too which might complicate my life.

The dilemma I'm faced with is Company A is offering about $20k-$30k more than Company B (although Company B has said they would try to close that gap and don't want money to factor into my decision). Not sure they can make up that delta though - it's a big difference.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

OP Here.

Company B is negotiable on salary after I told them the salary range Company A is offering. I had a follow-up lunch meeting with Company B. They seem pretty laid back and I THINK I would enjoy the work more.

Company A is who the post was about. I called today to ask for clarification. Basically the guy wants to hire us both and let us naturally settle into our roles...running the office/business development vs running projects. Sounds like more stress and still some ambiguity. Probably more travel too which might complicate my life.

The dilemma I'm faced with is Company A is offering about $20k-$30k more than Company B (although Company B has said they would try to close that gap and don't want money to factor into my decision). Not sure they can make up that delta though - it's a big difference.
What is $20k worth to you?
AgResearch
AG
Company B sounds like you'll have a defined role.

Company A sounds like you'll have a territory battle.

Stress and travel is not worth the $.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Company B.

Company A sounds like they want to put you against the other guy and see who wins the battle. Nothing here will end well. Trust me. Run, run away as fast as you can. Trust me.
aggie_wes
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Company B.

Company A sounds like they want to put you against the other guy and see who wins the battle. Nothing here will end well. Trust me. Run, run away as fast as you can. Trust me.

100% this. That $20k won't mean much in 6 months when you're job hunting again because you're miserable. Get company B to come up as much as they are willing to, and accept and never think about company A again.

Also make sure you are evaluating the entire package (PTO, 401k, ESPP, Health insurance, etc) and not just hyper focused on salary. Maybe the offers are closer than you think? Either way, company A is highly likely to be a sh*t show and highly unlikely to be a long term career stop.
AggieArchitect04
AG
OP update…

I had a beer with the guy Company A already hired. Probably the most uncomfortable meeting I've had in a while. The hiring manager should have been there to buffer things, but he's back home in NOLA.

I set the stage by choosing a brewery I like and go to regularly…my home turf .

The guy is very ambitious. Basically feels like he can do everything that needs to happen on his own and said more than once, "I'm doing it with you or without you". He came across as arrogant. He has his own business(es) with different LLCs, that will still be in operation. Feels like he's hedging his bets and has one foot in, one foot out. He told me that he fired his CPA, his attorney, and has filed multiple liens against clients for non-payment. He doesn't feel trustworthy and if partnership ever came onto the table, I'm not sure he's someone I'd want to share a company with anyways. It felt like it would be a competition rife with backstabbing, undermining, and toe-stepping.

Meanwhile I had lunch with Company B yesterday and it went great. Laid back, personable. I explained that I wasn't interested in a bidding war, but that if they could help close the gap to Company A I'd feel pretty good about coming on board.

Right now my fingers are crossed that Company B can come through.
Pepper Brooks
AG
What industry is this?
AggieArchitect04
AG
Architecture
Beckdiesel03
AG
Is the guy wanting to hire you at Company A competent at all???? Run…run right to Company B and don't think twice about it.
cjo03
AG
I am pretty novice on the architecture industry, but in my experience that style doesn't last in many industries.

Go with company B. Very politely thank Company A for the time and opportunity and wish them well. When they fire that dude in a few months, you'll likely be high on the list and you can reevaluate then with greater leverage.
Rudyjax
AG
cjo03 said:

I am pretty novice on the architecture industry, but in my experience that style doesn't last in many industries.

Go with company B. Very politely thank Company A for the time and opportunity and wish them well. When they fire that dude in a few months, you'll likely be high on the list and you can reevaluate then with greater leverage.

Agreed. That attitude doesn't work when working for other people. He's a liability.
Hachieaggie10
AG
A few years back I had 4 interviews with a company. Each a step up from the last person. The final was a presentation to the team that was an application of the job. I knew it was down to me and one other person and had a ton of connections (VP was an aggie and knew my former boss that highly recommended me, etc). Never heard from them after the last interview. Followed up twice and got were still talking it over just so busy we haven't had time to sit down and finalize everything and then no response to 3rd follow up.
TheMasterplan
Hachieaggie10 said:

A few years back I had 4 interviews with a company. Each a step up from the last person. The final was a presentation to the team that was an application of the job. I knew it was down to me and one other person and had a ton of connections (VP was an aggie and knew my former boss that highly recommended me, etc). Never heard from them after the last interview. Followed up twice and got were still talking it over just so busy we haven't had time to sit down and finalize everything and then no response to 3rd follow up.
That is unbelievable.

TheMasterplan
AgResearch said:

Company B sounds like you'll have a defined role.

Company A sounds like you'll have a territory battle.

Stress and travel is not worth the $.
This - better to have a defined role. Those generalist/do-it-all type roles are good if you're starting out somewhere or want the small business experience.

Chipotlemonger
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Hachieaggie10 said:

That is unbelievable.

Yea that's ridiculous.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I was part of an interview where they narrowed it down to 5 and interviewed all 5 at the same time. 5 candidates and 3 interviewers..horribly bad.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
AggieArchitect04
AG
OP update:

Company B came back and met my salary and vacation requests. I signed and returned my offer letter today!

I called Company A and told them I just didn't feel like it was good timing or the right match right now. I did offer some feedback saying that the other guy they hired seemed very interested in running the office his way, which was different than what I wanted. I said being in a powerful struggle over who runs things is not a situation I want to be in. The guy understood and was complimentary of me, wished me well, and asked that we stay in touch in case things changed 6-8 months down the road. I echoed those sentiments back to him. My gut tells me he got pretty far along in the process with the other guy, but probably really liked me as well. I honestly see the other guy being a problem for them, but I guess we'll see.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

OP update…

I had a beer with the guy Company A already hired. Probably the most uncomfortable meeting I've had in a while. The hiring manager should have been there to buffer things, but he's back home in NOLA.

I set the stage by choosing a brewery I like and go to regularly…my home turf .

The guy is very ambitious. Basically feels like he can do everything that needs to happen on his own and said more than once, "I'm doing it with you or without you". He came across as arrogant. He has his own business(es) with different LLCs, that will still be in operation. Feels like he's hedging his bets and has one foot in, one foot out. He told me that he fired his CPA, his attorney, and has filed multiple liens against clients for non-payment. He doesn't feel trustworthy and if partnership ever came onto the table, I'm not sure he's someone I'd want to share a company with anyways. It felt like it would be a competition rife with backstabbing, undermining, and toe-stepping.

Meanwhile I had lunch with Company B yesterday and it went great. Laid back, personable. I explained that I wasn't interested in a bidding war, but that if they could help close the gap to Company A I'd feel pretty good about coming on board.

Right now my fingers are crossed that Company B can come through.

Do it without me then. Tell that guy to **** off.
Thisguy1
Our company is under new ownership. We are a fairly small company. Under the old ownership (how I was hired) I did one interview. With the new company, they want us to do an initial phone interview and two in-person or zoom interviews before we extend an offer. The zoom and/or phone interview may be done by someone across the country who couldn't name more than one person that works for us.

Under the old ownership, we could have guys hired as soon as their background checks and drug tests were back if it fit their timeline. The new ownership has recently told us our start to finish time on hiring is taking too long, because of course it is.

tamuags08
AG
Quote:

I was part of an interview where they narrowed it down to 5 and interviewed all 5 at the same time. 5 candidates and 3 interviewers..horribly bad.

That sounds hilarious
TXAGFAN
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

I would have walked out.
Buck Compton
AG
tamuags08 said:

Quote:

That sounds hilarious
Yep, almost like a skit that should have been on the Office
Premium
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Get the job at Hollister?
AggieArchitect04
AG
OP UPDATE.

So I took the offer from Company B and have been here 9ish months. It's been going great.

The guy from Company A reached out to me recently and, as I suspected, the other guy isn't working out. He wants me to come in and take over that job.

This job would be an increase of $25,000 with better bonus potential I think. It would be more travel and probably more stress, and the work would be less "fun" and interesting.

If they could offer me an increase of $40,000 it would make the decision more difficult, but if I ask for that I think I need to be ready to take the job.

Most everyone is telling me to ignore the financial gain and stay where I'm at if I'm happy. I'm leaning toward staying put.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Stay out if it's 25k. That's a big increase if you are making 75k. But if you are making 200 + ish, then 25 k doesn't change your lifestyle.

I guess it depends on what you make.
88Warrior
AggieArchitect04 said:

OP UPDATE.

So I took the offer from Company B and have been here 9ish months. It's been going great.

The guy from Company A reached out to me recently and, as I suspected, the other guy isn't working out. He wants me to come in and take over that job.

This job would be an increase of $25,000 with better bonus potential I think. It would be more travel and probably more stress, and the work would be less "fun" and interesting.

If they could offer me an increase of $40,000 it would make the decision more difficult, but if I ask for that I think I need to be ready to take the job.

Most everyone is telling me to ignore the financial gain and stay where I'm at if I'm happy. I'm leaning toward staying put.

What I've learned in my 53 years…Happiness > Money…buts that's just me…is the 25k to 40k worth it??
BrazosDog02
AG
After about 10 years of experience in a professional field, I stopped doing interviews where there was more than one, any that included bull shat questions like "describe your best or worst trait", etc. I stripped my resume down to pure professional stuff and focused hard on interviews that were more practical. Unfortunately, you have to go to them to find out what kind of bull**** it is but I ended up with an ego that I was there doing them a favor. Eventually after a few good contract gigs I eventually decided I just needed to run my own show, which is what I did and do. The interview process at these firms is amazing to me. I don't know what kind of idiots they hire or are running things but man….it's crazy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.