Job Network
Sponsored by

Attorney (wife) looking for a new job

3,091 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aston04
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She's done getting the run around in her current federal government position (been rated very highly annually, received regional awards in the agency- including mentor of the year, but has not gotten promoted due to office politics, it seems). Very talented writer - clerked for state appellate judge and presently writes opinions for federal judges in her current position (has recommendations from all she writes for). Over 10 years experience. Primary remote work would be best fit - but open to various possibilities.

Message back if interested and will put my email address on here. Thank you,

Edit: licensed in Missouri
deadelephant98
AG
This is a tough ask.

If she can stay put in federal I would - especially depending on how long she's been in - unless there's some sort of crazy offer.

Private is very different.

I'd say stay and cash out in retirement unless it's life's changing now and in the future.

It's not an easy decision and I wish have you both the best.
Aston04
AG
Thank you for the advice!

Certainly, she is weighing her options and will tread carefully. The biggest frustration is feeling underappreciated/blackballed for the very limited opportunities for attorney advancement afforded in her agency. But the strict 40 hours a week / remote work (since covid and no end in sight) / & pension is attractive. This is especially nice since we have kids and I work as well. That said- our children are now all in school, so she is more open to non-remote/working more hours each week- if the opportunity was attractive enough.

Not only is the money a factor - but she is not being stretched in her current role. I hate seeing that for her.

She is also monitoring transfers to other federal agencies. The biggest issue there is we live in a relatively small city. Most likely, she would have to transfer to a new area to a somewhat lateral position (but with better opportunity for advancement). That would be tough for us to justify uprooting our family for that.

JamesPShelley
It's not the 'feds", it's the *******s who make up the feds (individuals) that make the job ****ty, unfair, complacent, etc.

It's not ALL about the retirement quid. It's also about the people with whom she'll have to work... alongside, for the next 10-15-20 years all the while suffering in silence. She isn't going to get any younger and, one day, she'll look back and wish you'd encouraged her to say **** it and do something she enjoys... where's she's rewarded for her hard work, loyalty, and dedication.

In 20 years you don't want a "I wish I would have..." wife.

Good luck.
78bc3
AG
Is she limited to only the federal job?
Could she also work afterhours (1099 or consulting) to help organizations navigate the Federal Maze?
May want to take a look at aggielaw.org.
this video may be worth a watch
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Aston04
AG
Thanks for the feedback! The government (in its infinite wisdom) actually has very strict regulations about not assisting others navigate how to file - including friends and family, etc. Moonlighting for other work is a possibility - but she would have to get advance approval on any project (they make it a pain in the a$$ on purpose).

I do agree about not playing it safe here and am encouraging her to reach out to at least see what's out there. I'm also working with my network of contacts in town. We shall see!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
She looking to get into private practice? Where in the country are you located?
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

But the strict 40 hours a week / remote work (since covid and no end in sight) / & pension is attractive.
Sounds ideal for an attorney
Aston04
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Missouri. She's about to open her search very broadly this month (I can work anywhere) and put out the word more with our connections. Looking to get out of Govt work. She's a great writer. Corporate position in compliance, etc would be an ideal fit. All our kids are in school- so she's warmed up to the idea of going back to the office. Wants a new challenge and opportunity for advancement.
JamesPShelley
Aston04 said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Missouri. She's about to open her search very broadly this month (I can work anywhere) and put out the word more with our connections. Looking to get out of Govt work. She's a great writer. Corporate position in compliance, etc would be an ideal fit. All our kids are in school- so she's warmed up to the idea of going back to the office. Wants a new challenge and opportunity for advancement.
Wishing her the best for the new year! Good luck!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thanks for the info. My firm has several offices but I have no idea what needs we have at the moment.

My wife is an in-house lawyer for a large manufacturing company that is the subsidiary of a Japanese conglomerate. Their hiring process is bipolar. For some spots, they seem about a mile up their own asses and for others they seem to be more than happy with close enough. The in-house legal market is honestly weird and the work sounds generally terrible.

For non-legal compliance/regulatory/HR type gigs, I assume they'll be very picky about experience without understanding how adaptable experienced lawyers really are. I'll keep my eyes open. Has your wife always been writing for a federal agency or comparable?

Aston04
AG
Yes. Without giving too much info on here... She wrote opinions for the Missouri Court of Appeals- Southern District prior to her current gig with the feds. Her previous work with the state exposed her to a wide variety of (often complicated) cases. She loved that work. Her current position (with the feds) is much more specialized and is part of her motivation to find a new challenge.

I appreciate you and others reaching out! If something comes up - let me know and I'll post my email to be contacted directly to send her resume.

Thank you,
Aston04
AG
Wife landed a corporate counsel position at a small, growing medical provider in town. In the end, a friend/former co-worker's recommendation (who knows the owners) helped her land the new position. Never underestimate the importance of networking. Thanks for feedback received here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.