Job Network
Sponsored by

LinkedIn feed

6,224 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesPShelley
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have no need to go on LinkedIn so I rarely do. Today I have a message from an old coworkers, so I go on for the first time in forever.

Holy crap. Maybe 10% of my feed was about something professional or even tangentially related to someone's job/career/expertise. The rest were stuff I wouldn't even put on face book. Insane political rants, post about their drug/alcohol recovery, posting about some random person recovering from cancer/getting a job, etc basically stuff that would be more at home at /r/aww or /r/humansbeingbros.

Now excuse me, I have a cloud to yell at.
superunknown
AG
It's all hot garbage. Definitely r/aww type BS or basically pyramid schemes and MLM level sht. Meanwhile people from my own company (and former companies) are peeping my profile. LinkedIn is pretty awful.
ChrisTAMU
AG
I've definitely thought about deleting it lately. It has become much worse in the last two years. I still use it for the job search function, though.
The Pilot
AG
I don't think I've blocked or adjusted any of my settings but mine is definitely 99% professional stuff, mainly technologies/products/recognitions from other companies/people I follow.
HoopsAg
I agree, has gotten worse over the years. Unfortunately, if you are in the job hunt, it's pretty much a necessity as part of a healthy spread of search options.
htxag09
AG
The Pilot said:

I don't think I've blocked or adjusted any of my settings but mine is definitely 99% professional stuff, mainly technologies/products/recognitions from other companies/people I follow.
Same. I also don't friend or follow or whatever people I don't work with.
Duncan Idaho
Oh no these are all people I have either worked with, went to grad school with or have been clients of mine.
htxag09
AG
If that's what they are posting on linked in, I'd unfollow them.
500,000ags
AG
What's wrong with people from your current company and prior companies looking at your profile?
ptothemo
AG
The new job announcements just kill me. Exaggerated cynicism here, but I sent this to a friend and former coworker after seeing a whole string of them one day.

"After X years of doing stuff that is mostly just work that no one cares about for this one company, I've made the really hard decision to start doing stuff that mostly no one cares about for this other company. It was the hardest decision I've made, but I'm excited about the next adventure into another same ole stuff corporate environment. I will miss the people the most. Particularly the 95% of people who I will find that the relationship was only because we did some stuff for a while at the same employer and who I won't ever talk to again after all the replies to this announcement."
agfan2332
I'm currently in the phase where I'm looking for a new job and I'm on LinkedIn every day getting notifications of jobs that might interest me. The thing that annoys me the most is applying for the job and it stays open for weeks and weeks and you don't hear anything. Or even worse, just had a recruiter reach out to me for a job in my messages and went through the whole process of talking to them and getting really interested in the position and then find out they are pushing the hiring phase to later this year.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
When I first lost my job in oil and gas, I used LinkedIn exclusively for networking and locating business owners that I could cold call for work. It was purely a job search tool. Aside from keeping my list of accomplishments up to date and the businesses we own current, I don't use it for much. I do occasionally share industry news for our business. Otherwise, I have an old colleague who shares geophysical insights that I find quite interesting so I'll share that.

However, sharing things and keep your name current is how job connections get made so I think it still works like it should but there is a lot of noise today compared to 5 years ago.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
LinkedInfluencers
I am always wrong
I ditched Linkedin about 2 years ago when it became apparent it was turning into a wacko leftist political echo chamber and way too much like Facebook, which I had already ditched in 2011. It is truly a waste of effort. LinkedIn is used for its original intended purpose less than 1% of the time. Figure out another way to maintain professional connections.
500,000ags
AG
The most annoying thing about LinkedIn is their job alerts. If you look at LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed, the job postings are dated. If you compare the dates across sites, you quickly realize that LinkedIn and Glassdoor are really, really bad. I've seen jobs get filled and get removed from the career page, and they are still accepting applications on LinkedIn. Indeed is the only site that seems to do a good job of capturing the posting and the posting date from all the different companies' career pages. I try to apply to jobs within 10 days of being officially posted because that means I'll be in the first pile that HR views, so that makes LinkedIn and Glassdoor almost unusable.

Edit: LinkedIn also seems to update the posting date based on no change on the career page, just to try and drum up more interest. Ridiculous.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
I use LinkedIn a lot for job postings. The changing date thing is Recruiters/HR "refreshing" the job post to get the job back to the top of search results.

When a job is first posted, it expires after like 45 days. At any point, the Recruiter/HR/whomever can go in and "refresh" the job. This makes the posting date current and boosts it to the top of results outside of sponsored/paid for posts.

Some Recruiters will keep positions up to build a pipeline, even if they don't have any openings
AggieOO
I don't go on LinkedIn often, but I'm not seeing any of what people describe on here. It's almost all job related stuff being posted. That said, I don't accept random connection requests.
htxag09
AG
I still have alert emails set up even though I'm not looking. I got the notification email from glassdoor about an open position at my current company, on my team, after it was already filled.
500,000ags
AG
Lol, yup, same has happened to me.
superunknown
AG
I think it's weird if people are checking up on me like I'm an ex girlfriend they're still pining over.
topher06
For attorneys, most of the linkedin feeds are people still slogging away at Big Law posting:

[Incredibly] humbled to be included with so many [amazing/talented] [peers/leaders] in the [random grouping] [age grouping] superlawyers for [year], an honor [given/bestowed] upon only [small percentage] of all lawyers.

Of course, they don't point out that only Big Law lawyers gaf about these awards so the small percentage of all lawyers is about half of all lawyers.
78bc3
AG
Before you flush LinkedIn ...
Make sure you know how mine the useful information that can help you find specific contacts or that can help you see emerging trends before your competition. The Former Student Career Team covers these resources during our webinars.

There are nearly 400,000 Former Students in LinkedIn
You can search by where they work, what they do, where they live or by keyword (s).
use our CareerShift tool to locate their e-mail to improve you opportunities for connecting.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Texas A&M University
Fear InoculAg said:

I ditched Linkedin about 2 years ago when it became apparent it was turning into a wacko leftist political echo chamber and way too much like Facebook, which I had already ditched in 2011. It is truly a waste of effort. LinkedIn is used for its original intended purpose less than 1% of the time. Figure out another way to maintain professional connections.
Our society just has a bunch of echo chambers everywhere. Venture over to the politics forum here and you could say it's a "wacko right-leaning political chamber."
swimmerbabe11
I see both wacky left and right wing stuff. Always makes me think that they are crazy for putting it all out there like that, but hey..you be you.

People use it as a secondary facebook. Especially recruiters, who just want to keep pushing "content" to have their name out there.
swimmerbabe11
this seems like pretty common content.
Ulrich
I'm very successful and important and no one will know it if I don't shove it in their faces. NOTICE ME. Also I have very smart political takes and know way more about effective hiring practices than all those mean corporation-y corporations.
-John Smith, associate analyst of paint drying
Ulrich
I basically never use it. Every once in a while I'll repost a company press release or forward a resume if someone reaches out.
EclipseAg
AG
The virtue signaling around "caring about the latest thing" and the faux humility is just way too much. It's exhausting to go through my feed.

So I rarely do.

Edit to add: What's bad is that LinkedIn COULD be extremely useful if more people wrote posts with less posturing and more real info.
topher06
EclipseAg said:

The virtue signaling around "caring about the latest thing" and the faux humility is just way too much. It's exhausting to go through my feed.

So I rarely do.

Edit to add: What's bad is that LinkedIn COULD be extremely useful if more people wrote posts with less posturing and more real info.
That will never happen. Society is far too concerned with virtue signaling for social points to be concerned about actual jobs.
AggieBarstool
The Pilot said:

Right on, same here.

Your social media feeds are 100% a product of the junk you look at. If you read posts about/from drama queens, scantily clad women, MLM schemes, etc., it's gonna spit that content right back at ya'.

My take is:
* LinkedIn is 100% work/industry related. Unfriend/delete anything that doesn't contribute to that effort.
* Facebook is for friends & family only. No politics, religion, etc. If I see that crap, I block/delete/unfriend.
* Instagram is for looking at those scantily clad women.
* Twitter & Snap - won't touch with a 10 foot pole.
jamesf
AG
I used LinkedIn for two things: 1) Keep my profile updated as an online resume; and 2) stalk other people within my professional circles.
hbc07
AG
I don't go on linkedin often, but I do keep my profile updated often as that is what got me my current job
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
Cromagnum
AG
Don't forget all the green energy & woke nonsense spouted by people to virtue signal.
E
AG

TX04Aggie
AG
I am currently in job market. Commercial oil and gas guy here.. I have no social media except kept LinkedIn active for job search stuff. And agree, it is total garbage on the feed. I cant wait to get a job again so I can just delete the thing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.