Job Network
Sponsored by

So how's your job search going?

8,278 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bmks270
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bumping this because believe the OP meant for it to be an on going thread..

Got a little story for you ags!

Back in 2018, I was laid off from what I felt was my dream job..as close as most adults get to theirs, right? I was doing product development and product line management, building private label footwear for a major retail, still blessed to live in Texas..sure some things weren't perfect, but that's why is a job and not vacation!
Retail was going through a rough patch at that time and I decided to take a little time off, got super depressed, and struggled to find a new job, decided to work at a bridal salon while I searched to make money and have fun. Found out that I was good at, got a little complacent, got distracted from my career by life and living and the fact that I was making ends meet. However, I worked weekends and this wasn't the dream. There was no career trajectory and I was wasting my life and making it harder to get back into footwear or product development, so I got sad again.
Then a friend that I play video games with suggested I do his job. In new home construction. Selling new homes according to him seemed like way less work, much more freedom, and 6 times the income. So, he talked to his boss, I interviewed, and I've been there since november.. in training, hourly, still working weekends. Of course, the industry is crazy right now, they sold homes faster than expected and communities are taking longer to build blablabla. But really, I don't have a passion for sales, I don't have a passion for constructing homes, and the most I've enjoyed to job was doing the updates and the design center stuff.
So I'm thankful for it in a way, because it lit a fire under my ass. I can't live at this rate, not sure when I'll be able to make more money and once again I'm working weekends!

I've been in hyper mode, applying for jobs, connecting, etc.

Well, I was just put to a second round interview that I'm going to deny. 45k in another state, no relocation available.
Then, I was offered over the phone a job in Nashville! Waiting to find out all the details now, because people walked in while she was offering me the job and I had to be like omg so excited to hear more, would you like me to call back or will you just email me. She is emailing.
However, on Monday morning, I have the final interview for a job where the pay range they described is much higher, remote/hybrid/travel situation in Texas, the team seems amazing, the job itself is very daunting and just on the cusp of too technical for my actual skillset so I'm very nervous about it but dang, assuming I don't suck, could be amazing for my career.

So, I will be punting the nashville opportunity for as long as I can to try to be able to compare offers.
agfan2332
Appreciate you bumping so I could see the thread and read everyone's experiences right now. I'm a little frustrated with the industry I'm in right now and have been looking to make a change over the last month to something new. The thing that's frustrating is I find jobs that are open and apply and I know I'd be really good at but either never hear from them or reach out to the company and express interest and don't hear from them either.

The one that just topped the cake for me was I got reached out to last week by a recruiter for a job that I think has some pretty serious potential in college and pro athletics and spoke with him (where he even said I was a great fit for the job) and told me to look for a call this week from the company to interview. Well this week gets here, no call and I reach out to the recruiter today to see what's going on and he said the company is pushing back hiring anyone until later in the year. Just annoyed that you want to make a move quickly and it never happens how you like.
swimmerbabe11
That is so frustrating and I fully understand. My eldest brother is in that boat right now too. Changing industries is so difficult.

My struggle was to get back in. I felt a little guilty telling him that I've had success this go around until my mom reminded me that I've been struggling with this for almost 4 years now.
500,000ags
AG
You are frustrated after a month? Not trying to kick a down man, but that's not a long time in job hunting terms. It took me 6+ months during early Covid in 2020.
swimmerbabe11
I think it is reasonable to be frustrated after a month of searching with no reasonable feedback or good bites.

Job hunting is stressful in a myriad of ways.
500,000ags
AG
I get that, but expecting something after a month implies that you find good roles available, they aren't too far along in hiring process already, you immediately apply with a resume that already makes it passed screening, HR discusses resumes with the hiring manager, and they decide to set something up for a few candidates quickly. That's a perfect world scenario that might, might happen for 1-2 opportunities.
agfan2332
I understand it takes a while and it's been a long time since I've actively searched for something new. I guess where my frustration is at the moment is applying and reaching out to the company to get more information and you don't get any feedback or thinking you are getting an interview from a company that reaches out to you and then they back track. I'll admit I'm anxious right now because I still want to provide great work with my current job but knowing in my mind I'm ready to leave as well.
AggieOO
500,000ags said:

You are frustrated after a month? Not trying to kick a down man, but that's not a long time in job hunting terms. It took me 6+ months during early Covid in 2020.
job market is night and day from early covid. i'm not even looking and i've got people calling me wanting to talk about roles at other companies. Won't last forever, but the current job market is insane.
500,000ags
AG
Oh I know. I transitioned from a failed business and started looking right in February 2020. It was so brutal during early Covid that I had to find a new job 18 months later (4-5 months ago), just to get a true market comp.
scd88
AG
Wishing you the best for tomorrow.
swimmerbabe11
very much appreciated, I had it, then called the hiring manager after and asked what my next steps should be. He then said to follow up with the hr coordinator, because "apparently 2 or 3 more people applied while [he] was in Mexico and HR wants you to go through as many of these as possible. So it might be a week or two before you hear something"

so.. almost my nightmare response, because it sounds like they didn't like me enough to not want to keep considering people..and no closure...which puts me in an awkward position with the other job offer.
scd88
AG
Hmm. The ugly side of the hiring process is what you're experiencing. What's the other offer? Hang tough. Human nature (at least when it comes to job stuff) is to think the worst. As I always say, "They haven't said "no" yet."
swimmerbabe11
well, they said I should hear something about next round by Wednesday.

Other offer means relocating to Nashville and working for a consulting firm, mostly with Disney as my client doing pet and theme park retail products.
Not as much money and moving and not shoes.
scd88
AG
I see. I wish you the best, swimmer. Keep us posted.
jorgerr96

Made it to the 4 round on-site for a faang company. Was a legal ops position that felt like a hybrid between tech and music, something I would have loved to do. Got the rejection yesterday. Feel extremely defeated but no complains as I enjoyed talking to that team and the interview process was structured and recruiters were super helpful. The search continues.
swimmerbabe11
oh, I turned down the job in Nashville..there were some red flags that made me think that they probably have a ton of turnover and its probably a little bit of a cut throat environment..plus the significant other was less than thrilled about relocating to Nashville (I love nashville, so I was excited about that part..but the timing is not great)

The other job said on Friday that I should hear something about the next round early this week..but its after lunch on Thursday and still no word. So there's that.
bmks270
AG
Got laid off last month after only 10 months with a new company. They hit some struggles and cut the head count in half in multiple lay off rounds.

So far I have made it to 4 on-site interviews for better jobs that are more aligned with what I want to be doing, and also with better more well respected companies. I had one final round this week and am waiting to hear back on an offer or not, and the other 3 confirmed they want to move me to the final round and I am waiting to get them scheduled.

I hope the other 3 can move fast or I might end up with an offer from the first company before I can finish the final round for the others. I guess that is a good problem to have if I do get the first offer. Honestly, all of the jobs would be great and are similar positions, but I do have my order of preference based on culture, leadership, and product differences.

I wish it didn't take being laid off for me to chase these opportunities which are much better, but I was wanting to hit at least 12 months for some stock options to vest.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.