Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone looking for freelance AutoCAD work?

2,319 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BDD1218
IBombedTheMoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Texags, got this squared away. BTHO Auburn!
AggieArchitect04
AG
What kind of stuff?
normaleagle05
AG
I know plenty of people looking for freelance AutoCAD workers. But not much of anything going the other way.

Somebody could really clean up if they could corner the hiring out of a decent Community College CAD program and run a service with the HR.
Outdoorag011
What's the going rate right now? I talked to a few companies about that needed freelance work done. It's crazy how much these companies need work done but don't wanna pay up. $15 an hour is what I've seen…. Which is a joke (in my opinion).
normaleagle05
AG
A going rate isn't really a thing when you're not going. I've seen some "It should cost $X and I don't understand why we can't find anyone!" all over. X is usually $30-$50/hour for 1099s. But I don't know anyone actually finding freelancers and getting work done at all.

I'm going to need someone sooner than later I fear. I think it's going to be an SIT or SIT candidate in my case. Even rarer at ~300 Texas SITs right now.
Outdoorag011
That is much higher than what was being told to me but that was pre pandemic when I talked to companies about it. I'm trying to decide whether I want to get my SIT or not.
oldarmy76
I think we pay $60/hr for cad on the contract side. Have to be good though. Unlimited hours pretty much so I think he clears about 180/yr.
normaleagle05
AG
I'm talking about contract/1099 rates which are pre-tax and no benefits. Entry CAD work in house will obviously be much lower but will tolerate less initial productivity.

If you are at all interested in the SIT just go take the exam and see how it goes. Do it next week. Passing is like winning the career lottery from an employment security standpoint and there is no real failure penalty.
Outdoorag011
Gotcha. Yeah that's still way higher than what was being told to me as a freelance cad tech. Which is good to hear. Where I currently work doesn't need another SIT so I'm not really pushing myself to get it.
jpd301
AG
My sister freelances MEP CAD work and she generally gets paid $80-100 an hour 1099.

She's been able to get as many or as little hours as she wants for a decade plus so the demand is definitely out there.
The Dirty Sock
jpd301 said:

My sister freelances MEP CAD work and she generally gets paid $80-100 an hour 1099.

She's been able to get as many or as little hours as she wants for a decade plus so the demand is definitely out there.

Geez, I'm in the wrong business. Been using CAD for 25+ years and Revit for 5 in Architecture. Even after taxes, software licenses, healthcare at 80-100 I could be doing better than my PM job now.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
Really simple stuff, we make angle rings and flanges, beginner level stuff in CAD. We basically need this in 70 different sizes, slight variations in material size and bolt patterns. john@haltomind.com 682-201-8757.

Salty Aggie
AG
Moon,
email sent
aggie_wes
AG
Would you be wanting 2D autocad drawings, or are you using "autocad" as a generic term for CAD but you really want 3D models and associated drawings?

I could knock out either, but just curious what you're looking for.
GrayMatter
AG
Would be a lot easier in 3D. Just a few file numbers with many different configurations.
BDD1218
AG
Try Contacting Andy Turner at Crew Drafting. He's a good, and a real good Ag, too!
Andy Turner -t 979.324.8313 or aturner@crewdrafting.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.