Job Network
Sponsored by

Weirdest way you've gotten a job?

5,607 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oldschool87
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted a mild rant about my current situation in a specific professional facebook group and was told to email my resume for an interview. I sent it in, got an interview, and had an offer a week later. My husband was flabbergasted. The job I was ranting about came about by a random message from an owner on LinkedIn. Neither of these jobs were posted at the time I applied.

If you're looking, keep your head up - things can come in unexpected ways.
Rudyjax
AG
I was standing on the corner, trying to generate some business. Some ***** in an expensive sports car wanted directions to the Beverly Wilshire. I told him I'd do it for $20. He couldn't drive stick so I ended up driving. He paid me $3000 for the week and bought me clothes. I ended up hooking up with him for free. We broke up a week after the movie ended.
Baron von Bulsh
My Dad was playing church league softball in west Texas back before I was born. From all accounts, he was a very talented baseball and softball player.

A man came up to him after a game and asked my dad what it would take to get him to play on his company's team in the industrial league.

My dad responded that they could give him a job. The man, who turned out to be the coach of the softball team and the head of the HR department, told my dad to come out to the plant the next day and fill out his employment paperwork.

My dad worked at that plant for 30+ years until they eventually shut down.
coastalaggie
AG
Here on Texags from Tag77. I had just quit my job in Dubai and moved the family home. My flight back to Dubai to pack out was on Monday. I was looking through this board and saw a post for someone with a Pipeline Project Engineering background. I replied and got an immediate response asking for my CV. I sent it to Tag77, and he replied to come in on Monday for an interview within a few hours. I told him my flight was departing at 10 AM, and I needed to be there by 8 to check in (I was an international traveling rookie back then). He asked if I could make it in by 6 AM for an interview, and of course, I said yes. I did the interview, got on the plane, and when I landed in Germany for a layover, I had a message saying I had the job. Once I landed in Dubai, I had another message saying he spoke too soon and that HR got pissy with him about not being included. He set up a teleconference with HR, and they asked me some stupid typical HR questions. I got the official offer a few hours later, which was a blessing since I didn't have anything lined up when I quit my job in Dubai (in case you were wondering, I was asked to revise a report with misleading info., I said no and they said we would get someone to do it for you. I said good luck and that I quit!)
Fair Winds and Following Seas
The Anchor
AG
It may not be considered weird, but it will always be iconic in a sad sense.

My final interview with a previous employer was Tuesday, September 11, 2001. All we did during the interview was watch the news. I was hired.
aggiespartan
AG
This is a great texags hookup story.
Beckdiesel03
AG
*Screenshot of a fb post from a mom's board sent to me via text from a friend bc I'm not on fb. Worked out great
* other time-my manager walked into the office on the phone talking about this other company interviewing for a management position. Left the office and called that company and had an interview and job offer two days later (before fb and LinkedIn days)
Not strange, just to add to random ways people come across jobs.
AtlAg05
AG
I was working in IT as an analyst, company started the transition to agile and were eliminating all analyst positions. We could then interview for the new product manager roles.

I went through the interviews and didn't get one of the positions, but I could have an entry level software engineer position, this was a Thursday and I had to give a response by 8am the next day. Walk straight to my manager and said I guess today is my last day.

Spent the next few months applying and then got a call from a lady I used to work with at the same company in finance. Interviewed and got an offer. It's been a great move career wise.

It wasn't so much weird, but in my career I've been laid off twice and found myself in a better position afterwards both times. It sucked losing the job but worked out.
C1NRB
AG
Interviewed for a job on one campus of a large community college district. The campus Dean liked me, so called and offered me a completely different job on a completely different campus that she was transferring to in a few weeks.
I didn't accept the offer for a couple of reasons- much further away from home (relocation not an option) but for roughly the same salary and the job-offer campus was literally in the middle of low income housing projects, while the applied-for campus was located at a former country club whose amenities included the golf course.
EclipseAg
AG
Baron von Bulsh said:

A man came up to him after a game and asked my dad what it would take to get him to play on his company's team in the industrial league.

This is the plot of a funny episode of "King of Queens."

Doug goes to his wife's company picnic (law firm) and dazzles the lawyers with his softball play. They set him up as a "lawyer" and make his wife answer his phone, get him a limo for games, etc.

After a few games, he starts getting offers from other firms who think he's a lawyer.

But of course, just as things are really taking off, he hurts his knee rounding third and can't play anymore.
big ben
AG
Got s- canned over politics at 7AM the friday before thanksgiving one year, boss was brand new, I had been there 5 years with great results on every project until I was handed a disaster of a project and disaster of a budget. Any McCarthy GC employees on here know which project.

Walking out with my box 15 mins later I get a phone call from the OPs manager of a competitor, says come talk to me now. Im like uhhh and tell him I havent never been fired in my life let alone over something that wasnt my fault. He says, dont mind that, come talk to me now.

I show up in jeans, ball cap, pullover as it was a casual friday, no resume on me, etc. He pulls up my linkedin, we talk for 20mins and I had a job making more that day. Apparently some former coworkers lit this guys phone up about what happened and to pick me up. Been here ever since and happier than ever.

Fired and hired before 9AM on a Friday
cypress-ag
AG
Was at Discount Tire waiting on my truck and pulled up a thread on Texags Job board about the weirdest way they got a job and someone reached out to this post telling me that they needed am experience sales manager in Houston.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Was in Oil and gas for 15yrs, latest role was Sr. Director of Ops for PL company. Lived on the border and hated the company and how it treated people..

Flew to CO with my girlfriend for her MD job interview. Made small talk with a guy at a spouse dinner with other MDs after he saw my Freer Deer Camp Muy Grande winner shirt. Now I guide hunts for large game all over CO for him and now own my own business. I won't ever be rich but I am so much happier and treat my people better than I ever was in the corporate world.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
During my undergrad years, I was working at Rudy's. I was cashier that day. A customer waved me over to his table after he was seated. He said "You have great customer service skills. How would you like a job?" I responded "sir, I have a job" thinking what on earth is this guy talking about. He promised to pay a dollar more an hour than whatever Rudy's was paying…so I went to work for him. Working at a bbq restaurant sounds fun but when you can't ever get away from the smell - it's a major turn off to ever wanting bbq.

In 2019, i was at a seminar in Monahans, Tx. Guy sitting next to me had heard of my company and specifically some of my work. We exchanged business cards. I emailed him when I got home that week from my personal email and asked for him to keep in my mind for any positions at his company for someone with my skill set. I have my fourth interview with that company this week. The guy remembered me two years later.
aggiespartan
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

During my undergrad years, I was working at Rudy's. I was cashier that day. A customer waved me over to his table after he was seated. He said "You have great customer service skills. How would you like a job?" I responded "sir, I have a job" thinking what on earth is this guy talking about. He promised to pay a dollar more an hour than whatever Rudy's was paying…so I went to work for him. Working at a bbq restaurant sounds fun but when you can't ever get away from the smell - it's a major turn off to ever wanting bbq.

In 2019, i was at a seminar in Monahans, Tx. Guy sitting next to me had heard of my company and specifically some of my work. We exchanged business cards. I emailed him when I got home that week from my personal email and asked for him to keep in my mind for any positions at his company for someone with my skill set. I have my fourth interview with that company this week. The guy remembered me two years later.
Sounds like you are really good at making first impressions.
Malibu
My brother was waiting tables in DC trying to get a job doing international development. One of his tables was a French tourist that spoke no English and my brother, fluent in French, helped him out. The table next to Frenchie was a recruiter for a USAID contractor and asked if he wanted a job where he could use his French skills. Spent the next 10 years going around French and English speaking Africa doing good.
Raptor
AG
Taking pics at a concert for a friend of mine's band in College Station. Woman comes up to me and asks me if I ever take pics of anything else. I say, "Sure, what do you have in mind?"

A few weeks later the pics I took are in her possession and she's very pleased.

Less than a month later, she sends me a wire deposit of $1400 and a very thoughtful thank you email.

I don't know what she did with all the photos, except for one. That one she used as a large wall hanging framed photo in a local bank in Bryan.

About three years later I ended up marrying her daughter and we now have two kids and just celebrated our 12th anniversary together.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

infinity ag
I was in Coll Stn in early 1998, just graduated but with no job. Went to Boston to interview with Quickturn Design Systems. At Boston airport took a shared cab. An older gentleman was next to me, asked me about myself, what I did etc. Handed me his card - he was VP at GTE Systems. Asked me to email him my resume. Did not get Quickturn.

So I did, I got a call from them in a day. Went to GTE in Taunton, interviewed and flew back. When I reached Coll Stn, I had a message on my answering machine that I got the job.

Quickest job I got. I ended up not taking it because they paid just 50k. I didn't know I could negotiate.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
aggiespartan said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

Sounds like you are really good at making first impressions.

It's definitely not due to beauty
Jason_InfinityRoofer
My last job where I worked for someone at a corporate company came from an old contact. I reached out and said I needed work. He called and said "yeah, I talked to the VP of data processing and he said he has a stack of 20 resumes on his desk and doesn't want to look at them. Can you start Monday?"

This was during the oil downturn so the managers were sick and tired of filtering resumes, but still.

You never know which phone call will land the job.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
scd88
AG
My first job after graduating from A&M. I was a terrible student, worked my way through college so flipping burgers at the Chicken and DeLuxe took up a lot of time my junior and senior years. My story is not strange, but it involved a lot of hustle.

I wanted to be a real estate appraiser. When I got all my **** home, I got the yellow pages out (Houston), and started at the letter A. Cold called. If they didn't have any entry level openings, did they know anyone who did.

By the time I got to L later in the week I had an interview and was eventually hired. Didn't make **** for money but it was a job and I liked the work.

That was in 1989. Even today, if you're looking for a job, don't be afraid to hustle. Our current government has created an environment where it it's to sit on your ass. Those who want to grind will succeed as there is less competition.

eric76
AG
One guy who I don't particularly remember (he was about ten years older than me) but I knew his parents well saw a vehicle on the side of the road with a flat and he stopped and changed the flat for the driver of that vehicle.

It turned out that the driver of the vehicle had just started a new airline a year or so earlier along with a partner and was so impressed by the guy's helpfulness that he offered him a job. That led to him spending his entire career working for Southwest Airlines.

As for myself, one university called me up and offered me a job as a math instructor. There was no interview or resume or anything.
oldschool87
AG
Bana Degree MIS...

Interviewing with a software company.

My grades like all BANA students were not the greatest...

He is looking at my resume', m, aha, m, yea, m, yea, last thing on my Resume', Texas A&M Baseball team. I was a walk-on for 2 years till I quit as I was the only one on the team with a major... Things were different back then, anyway.

He gets to the bottom of the resume', Texas A&M Baseball team???? HMMM... Can you play shortstop on a softball team? Yes, Yes I can. You start Monday week, here is the address.

That was the only question I was asked in the interview. I did play shortstop for the company, and had a blast... Wound up running the whole IT department before I left...

Still friends with the guy today, we joked about it for a decade....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.