Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking to Supplement Income as a SAS Programming Tutor

1,259 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Madagascar
Scrap Iron Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeing if any of you had recommendations on the best way to go about getting started as a SAS tutor. I've been using it in industry for 27 years, do it extremely well, and have been a great source of help for numerous colleagues with it.

I just don't know where I could find people who would be interested in it. I'm in the DFW area, and was thinking maybe college students?

I welcome any thoughts/suggestions/questions.

Thank you very much.
Deputy Travis Junior
I see this is almost two weeks old, but have you considered putting together a course on udemy or something? Those sites get a ton of traffic, most of the courses are mediocre, and the site uses a rating system in its recommendation system. That's basically best case for you... You know, assuming you put together something that's high quality and don't add to the sea of mediocrity

Anyway, I just did a quick search and the first result for SAS programming had ~15k students. I don't know what the site's profit sharing policy looks like, but if you get even $5-10/enrollee, that's some serious cash.
Madagascar
AG
I would target colleges but I think you could really network if you go to SAS User Group (SUG) conferences. Many students show up there trying to learn SAS better for their jobs. If you give a lecture or tutorial, it could really help. I've been to PharmaSUG and it was fantastic for helping me embrace the SAS coding world.
RockOn
Make a Udemy course. Thats where the real money is
tpnick87
Shoot, I could use help. I just had my first graduate course with it and it was kind of jump in the deep end type of learning. I know my degree plan will have more encounters with it
Scrap Iron Ag
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Thank you very much for all for your responses, Deputy Travis Junior, Madagascar, RockOn, and tukAG22! Apologies for not checking back earlier to see your responses. It is encouraging to know there are opportunities, and I greatly appreciate the specifics y'all provided. In my 27 years in the workforce for two different companies and most of the SAS code that I've inherited over those years has been terrible - messy, unnecessarily complicated, hard to maintain in the state they were in. I think most of those analysts don't develop disciplined habits, diddle with their code until it technically gets what they want, but then don't clean it up so that it's clear and maintainable.

Good luck to you, tukAG22 - what kind of SAS are you using? I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. SAS does cover a lot of ground, but if my experience is relevant to what you are doing with SAS, I'd be happy to pass along any wisdom I have that could be helpful.
Madagascar
AG
Out of curiosity, do you have a preferred SAS interface? It seems like everywhere is trying to switch to SAS Studio and away from PC SAS. I much prefer PC SAS so I am trying to build a good case for my employer to not get cheap.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
I've been using Unix/Linux and it is excellent. It's one-stop shopping - one environment for coding, executing, and outputting SAS logs and print files. It's really easy to use Unix/Linux commands to explore the SAS logs. I am really good with the vi editor, an editor most people hate, but those who are good love it because I think we can do things much more quickly in vi.

I have used SAS Enterprise Guide and dislike it with the intensity of 1,000 suns. It's been a long while since I used it, but my recollection was that it felt clunky, and the log files and lst files were all so different looking, making things more complicated than necessary. I never used SAS studio, but my old boss described it as "like SAS Enterprise Guide, but worse".

I haven't used PC SAS but, frankly, from my experience with SAS EG, I would bet that it is a FAR better interface than SAS Studio.

Madagascar
AG
PC SAS houses all the software on your computer instead of a Linux/unix server though I think you can use it with a Linux/unix server. It's another name for interactive SAS. SAS Studio is like R Studio but for SAS and it is housed on the internet. It's not really an upgrade at all and gets buggy. I think what my company is trying to do is use SAS Studio through a Linux/unix server which I would not mind if it was not SAS Studio.

I fully agree on Enterprise guide. I think SAS was trying to make an SPSS equivalent but nobody who uses SAS wants to use SPSS and vice versa. I don't think anyone I know uses it.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Thanks for the info - good to know the inner-workings behind each type.

You jogged my memory as now I remember I used interactive SAS long ago, using the Hummingbird Exceed application. I liked it pretty well, and most of my department back then used it because they preferred it for editing.

My first experience with SAS was on the mainframe. I'm so happy to no longer be doing anything on the mainframe! Having to deal with job queues, the odd directory methodology, packed decimals. I had minimal understanding of the JCL (Job Control Language) that one specifies at the beginning of a mainframe SAS program. I remember taking a course with my previous employer, hoping to learn more about the JCL. The instructors both said that they didn't understand it either, that they just copied and pasted it from other programs
Madagascar
AG
I think I've met one person that has been able to work in JCL though I had no idea it was called that until you mentioned. I tried to look into batch submitting multiple programs once and was completely lost.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Same for me - back in the 1990's, a systems guy who was probably in his late 50's. Maybe he wrote the original JCL and it's just been passed around since then.
Madagascar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.