Job Network
Sponsored by

Any advice for a one-way interview (video)?

2,055 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie95
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The hiring manager has asked that I reach out in regards to next steps. He has reviewed your resume and would like for you to complete our video interview.

We have a video interview that will need to completed prior to technical interview. The process is to log in through the link below, create your profile and record your responses to a handful of questions.

Please treat like an in-person interview. Click on link for interview: <link removed>

My thought is this is likely some personality and background screening. My plan is to wear a suite and tie (upper half anyways), put a curtain up behind me in my office to hide the decorations and other personal items in the room, and then click go and just answer the questions...

Any other preparations you would consider?
I am a beer
Full suit. For confidence, comfort, and you never know
Premium
AG
South Peach said:

Full suit. For confidence, comfort, and you never know

Shorts on the bottom or GTFO!

To reiterate, CONFIDENCE! PLEASE get a professional looking background. No 'howl at the moon' posters. Can you find a nice bookshelf or Plantation shutters for a background? - do it!
JobSecurity
AG
Figure out the format before you start. I did one that said I would have one chance to re-record my answer to questions. When I actually did it I had unlimited retakes which made it feel much less stressful instead of trying to be perfect. I still answered most in one or two tries but just the knowledge that if I stumbled over my words or a dog barked outside I could try again was nice.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Every question is unlimited time to think, unlimited takes, 1 minute to answer.

However, one question is really tripping me up.

What is your desired annual salary range? (Required: please be specific)
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's rough
Ramrod
AG
Make sure your camera is at eye level; if this means propping up a bunch of books to set a computer on, do it.

Take some extra time to make sure you have clear audio on the recordings.

Do you happen to know the platform they are using for the interview?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Completed it last night....

Suit and tie
Set up so the camera was eye-level (helped cut down on my double chin )
background was a blank neutral wall

I answered the salary question straightforward:

Quote:

I am currently making $xxx,xxx with a 15% annual bonus and have previously recieved LTI, most recently $xx,xxx in 2021. My expectation would be an increase in salary and a package that would be competitive with my current bonus structure.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Note, I really enjoyed the format. It took all the pressure off to have unlimited takes. I could think about each answer for about 2-3 minutes, then review each sub-video to make sure I wasn't saying UHHH too much or didn't look off camera, etc. If so, retake (the first question was about my current role - responsibilities and duties - I scripted it out, and did about 20 retakes until it was basically flawless)

For the hiring manager to review it's great - they read the question, and can hear my one-minute answers... Their interview of me is over in 10 minutes.
badharambe
AG
LOL. So we are either applying for the same job or for the same company. I completed a one-way video interview on Tuesday, same questions. 9 in total.

Edit: considering your start date on Texags, I assume it's a different job.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It might have been with same company, but different job....

let's see if I can put it in code:
Houston-based oilpatch company, Senior project position?
badharambe
AG
It floats and it's an engineering position.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Yep; planning; good luck sir
badharambe
AG
wait. lets discuss further. I have a hunch theres more than one position available.

harambebad @ gmail
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sent
Rudyjax
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Every question is unlimited time to think, unlimited takes, 1 minute to answer.

However, one question is really tripping me up.

What is your desired annual salary range? (Required: please be specific)

Tell them what you need to make to make a move.

Or.

I was making $100k with a 15% target bonus. Ideally old like to stay in that range but I will entertain all competitive salaries.
Vernada
AG
I've had to watch these as a hiring manager.

In general, you get a lot of grace (at least from me) on these recorded interviews because I think we all know it's a bit awkward.

The ones that have performed the best are the ones who clearly spent some time rehearsing and took advantage of the retakes.

One great benefit (from an employer perspective) is that we share the video so multiple people can watch the interview (on their own time) from a single interview.

And while the video may inform an initial impression, I've always had a real interview with anyone that submitted a video.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Real interview is tomorrow
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Got the offer today for my 40th birthday

Now I need negotiation advise
Noble07
AG
Congrats on the new job!

How did you get the interview? Referral from someone in your network?
Aggie95
AG
I did one of those one-way video interviews for chick-fil-a about 5 years ago. Pretty sure I bombed it! They only allowed one re-take and had to be done right away (no chance to think/review answer). I hated the format.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.