Job Network
Sponsored by

Working at D.R. Horton

2,114 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiez03
AgOil55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello ags,

Wanted to get an insight on working for DR Horton in College Station, or anywhere really in Texas. I have an interview and naturally looking at salary starting off and benefits.

It is for an Assistant Superintendent in Construction and looks to be a great job, but I cant find any salary starts or reach anyone who has worked for them to find out the salary and overall pay. Its going to be my first interview and dont want to bring up salary just yet, but I do want to get a good idea of it if I do move on to the next interview.

Also, if any insight is shared that is welcome too.
fka ftc
Entry level position at a very large discussion, your salary will be predetermined. Maybe you could negotiate a dollar here or there but the builders are going to already be priced to market for that position. Save the salary negotiations for down the road.

DR is the largest builder by volume in the US. They will likely evaluate how you work with the superintendent on the job and with the trades, If you like this line of work, learn learn and learn everyday on the job. To me., homebuilding is a great industry. Like Oil, enjoy the good times and prepare for the lean. Right now it is good happy times, but probably will change in next couple of years.

Regarding D.R. they have always been known as fiscally frugal. One anecdotal I got from a guy or was a controller there years ago. He and Donnie Ray were traveling to a division and the controller checked into his Motel 6 reservation. DR did not check in but instead followed him to the room they were going to share. Multi-multi millionaire at the time saving money by a) Motel 6; and b) doubling up on said room.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
aggiez03
AG
Worked for a production builder 20 years ago...

I was a full superintendent out of A&M building in the Woodlands. Started at a teacher salary but was able to hit mid 50s the first year with bonus. Bonus at a lot of neighborhoods depends on how lucky you get with the existing trades and how bad the houses are screwed up that you 'inherit' from the guy who quit or got fired. If you are lucky enough to get in a new neighborhood and can schedule and follow up, then you should be able to bonus on most, if not all houses.

Production builders very rarely pay the trades well, so be ready to baby sit and have a revolving door of trades such as framers and painters who don't stick around if they are good. And most of the time the painters suck. And that is 90% of what the customer looks at, so walk throughs can be frustrating.

I would suggest get in and learn a bunch and then if you like the industry, find a custom builder to go work for. You will make more money and the trades actually care about their work.

If you are in most areas that have building codes (Houston, The Woodlands, etc) you will probably have inspectors that inspect the slab, frame, and final inspection. Get to know these guys well. They are your best friend or your worst enemy. They control if you move on or if you get stuck fixing problems and having to re-inspect. Also, they know the custom builders and probably have an ear to the ground on who is looking when you are ready to make the jump to custom.

Oh, and learn Spanish. You will use it every single day. Some of your trades will not speak English or if they do, none of their guys will.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.