Job Network
Sponsored by

Resume Advice

1,494 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
TAG7676
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I took time off from work to get my MBA, and in the middle of the program had a serious medical condition that knocked me off my feet for about 18 months. Anyway, what I thought was going to be 18 months away from a job turned into three years. I'm fully back to speed and have started the job search. Any thoughts on how I might annotate this gap on a resume? I can explain the situation should it come up in an interview but my fear is a gap of that size on the resume is going to close a lot of doors if not annotated correctly. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
JamesPShelley
TAG7676 said:

So, I took time off from work to get my MBA, and in the middle of the program had a serious medical condition that knocked me off my feet for about 18 months. Anyway, what I thought was going to be 18 months away from a job turned into three years. I'm fully back to speed and have started the job search. Any thoughts on how I might annotate this gap on a resume? I can explain the situation should it come up in an interview but my fear is a gap of that size on the resume is going to close a lot of doors if not annotated correctly. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gratis. Complimentary. Free. No charge. You won't be paying me a cent. I won't be seeking your business. OK, that's out of the way.

Email me a copy of your current and up-to-date resume. I'll assess it and share with you how you might overcome that obstacle. Jim at username dot com.

There will be no lying. No tomfoolery. No fabricating or stretching the truth. No shenanigans. No BS.

Rudyjax
AG
did you finish your MBA?

Why didn't you work while completing the MBA? Most people work and go to school to get their MBA.

Those are the questions i would have when reviewing your resume.

That being said, regardless of the gap, you should be able to find similar work to what you were doing before the gap.
SnowboardAg
AG
Under your "Experience" I would put date of last employment to today:

Pursued MBA degree full time (*Completed program in 2 years - personal / family circumstances required an excused, intermittent pause in coursework)

Or something like that. Employers are less concerned about "what" it was, but more that it's accounted for (IMO).

TexAg1987
Just don't put "Inmate - Huntsville Unit"
Jason_InfinityRoofer
TexAg1987 said:

Bingo. You want to put something like "Vocational Intern at one of Texas' largest non-profit training facilities". This is where your resume expert earns his keep.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Petrino1
Look guys... said:

did you finish your MBA?
This is the question we need answered. Taking 3 years off of work to finish your MBA would not raise any red flags on your resume, you can always explain in person what happened if they ask. I doubt most resume reviewers would catch that you finished your MBA in 3 years and not 2. Now if you didnt finish your MBA thats another story.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
TexAg1987 said:

in today's world, that might not scare off all potential employers. But "Inmate - Polunski Unit" probably will.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.