Job Network
Sponsored by

Work with the wife???

3,128 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
aTm papi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's the question...would you work in the same company as your wife?

I'm currently a teacher and this year has been frustrating with online teaching. I've been teaching to nothing but empty screens this past year and I think it's time to leave education. I've been doing it for over 10 years now. My wife is a director of marketing for a local company. I noticed that there were sales positions available in her company. From what she's told me in the past, it seems that sales and marketing work together at times. Do you think I should try her company or just try finding a sales job somewhere else?

Sorry guys, no rule #1 here.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Her opinion needs to be considered first. And how do y'all like being told positives or negatives of what the other is doing by people that have no impact on your life.

My wife and I worked at the same school back in the day and I had no issues. She constantly was irritated y people "hey tell him..." hey did you hear...."
aTm papi
She thinks I would do well in sales there. The only problem I see is how close our departments would be. I wouldn't be working for her since I'd be working under the sales manager. The sales manager sometimes talks to her about accounts and vice versa.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I don't think I could handle it strictly from a boredom or just lack of diversity aspect. My husband has worked out of town and completely different fields for our entire marriage. I'm used to him being gone or talking about something totally unrelated. It works for us but I realize others aren't used to it. After being let go last year, we are now in very closely related fields and he is home every single day. We run out of things to talk about and for the first time in 14 years we are around each other more than 3-4 days at a time. It's fantastic for the kids and for us, but you just have to realize, it's something that takes adjusting to.
TPS Reports
AG
Similar conversation recently in our house. I am newly unemployed and there is a job I would be a great fit in at her company. Wouldn't be directly aligned with her but it's a fairly small team and too close. And then you have to think about when one of you leaves and how that affects the other depending on circumstances of departure.
KT_Ag08
AG
It's going to be a tough transition into any sort of technical type sales job if you have spent a majority of your working life as a teacher. Your wife thinking you'd be a good fit and a sales manager thinking you'd be a good fit are two totally different things.

As far as the actual pros and cons of working together - if the market turns in the industry or the company ****s the bed then you both are on unemployment.

Also, chances are not everyone likes or respects working with your wife or may not like working with you. As someone else said, when you accidentally get someone's negative, unsolicited opinion of your spouse how are you going to react in a professional environment.

If one of you is in a critical role and leaves the company it will have downstream impacts on the other. It's typically assumed that when one leaves the other isn't far behind. It doesn't matter who you tell or how many times you say it, the assumption is y'all are a package deal.

If there are negative things going on between y'all in your personal lives it will almost assuredly bleed into work as well if y'all work closely together at all.

If things go really south in the marriage and divorce were to occur then you've got the potential of having your ex at work with you and one of you will have to leave to maintain sanity.

I can't think of many pros. My now wife and I did this while we were dating and I was ready to work elsewhere fairly early into it. There's a lot to be said about being able to have dichotomy between your home and work lives.
TPS Reports
AG
I will say that success of this scenario largely depends on the couple and culture in the office. I worked for a guy for 10 years whose wife also worked there and it was never a problem because they handled it well. Kept space when necessary, had their own social circles, etc.
AndesAg92
AG
Short answer:

I see few pros and unlikely to work as planned. I see many cons and decent potential for disaster.

With a small chance of ruining your wife's current work relationships and putting strain on your marriage and finances.

I would take her rec on being good at sales and go find a similar position elsewhere.
Raptor
AG
My wife and I both work for the same school district, but different campuses and departments. We teach all day and then our conversations at home are either family or work.

Pros: We have the same holidays off all year. Keep each other updated on breaking news. Nice to have each other's back and know where we stand in our district.

Cons: Everything is school related. Everything. Ugh.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

4xAgs
AG
Never get your honey the same place you get your money!!

There's a lot of wisdom in that old adage.
Texker
AG
Well, met the wife at work. We were in the same dept., desks across from one another when we started dating. I changed jobs long before we got married. So back then, yes. Now? No.
bmks270
AG
My company has employed a few married couples. Never seemed to be an issue that I know of. I think it works if you both are good at your jobs. If one of you fails it will reflect poorly on the other.
COSCAG67
AG
At first, I thought hell no... but I would also not recommend being a teacher, so as an alternative to that, I would give it a shot. If you are in outside sales, you shouldn't see her much at work anyways.
PneumAg
Hell yeah. Illicit sex behind closed doors at the office. Blowies under the desk. Ass smacking whenever you want. It's the best.
Pearl2010
AG
I have worked with my wife for the last 10 years. I love it.
rbcs_2
AG
Not really related but I knew a couple that worked at the same place and then the husband cheated on the wife with another employee and they all got fired.
BBRex
AG
I worked in a cube next to my wife for six or seven years, then on the same floor for another four or five. We were technically in different departments, but it was sort of a small circle.

A lot of what KT_Ag08 said is true. We have personalities that made it work just fine, but there were some situations that were more complicated than they needed to be. As KT_Ag08 noted, we worried quite a bit about both of us getting laid off, which led her to change industries.
Carlo4
AG
PneumAg said:

Hell yeah. Illicit sex behind closed doors at the office. Blowies under the desk. Ass smacking whenever you want. It's the best.

But does your wife know about the other woman?
aTm papi
I decided to not go ahead with the hiring process.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Pearl2010 said:

I have worked with my wife for the last 10 years. I love it.

It depends on the person. I know I would jump at a chance to work in the same building or job with my wife. My old job sounded very complicated but considering she had more intelligence in her pinky than some of my colleagues had combined, I'd have loved to have taught her the job. We also have been together a while and have worked on our place together before and after kids, bled, sweated, cursed at each other, failed, and succeeded with everything we've done together. Also, based on what I heard from a lot of my colleagues they would rather be at work than stuck at home with the wife. I can't imagine being with someone that makes you That miserable but that's the way it always seemed to me. With my current job, we can and do work together from door to door sales, to scheduling, to installs...my process is immeasurably smoother when she is involved.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.