Job Network
Sponsored by

Help

2,113 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MillerLatte
MillerLatte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I find myself between a rock and a hard place. I've been in commercial real estate brokerage for about 5 years now, but it's time I give up on my dreams about being this hotshot broker. It's not working out for me. Frankly, this isn't easy for me to admit or post on this board, but I'm in search of a job. I've got oil and gas experience out of college (2011 grad) before switching over to brokerage in 2016. Happy to discuss any options that may be available, but hoping to stay in the real estate world some way or another. Just not in a 1099 fashion.

Please let me know if there's anyone on here who I can reach out to.
FarmerKeith
AG
Where do you live? What do you want out of both life and your career?

MillerLatte
FarmerKeith said:

Where do you live? What do you want out of both life and your career?

Apologies. Forgot to mention location. I'm in Houston.

I want to be able to provide for my family. I want to earn a job where I can contribute to not only growth for my employer, but growth for myself.
tamc91
AG
Have you thought about working as a real estate consultant helping negotiate rights-of-way and easements for transportation and real estate projects. It is a bit more stable (especially with the challenges commercial real estate may see for the next 2-3 years of COVID effects) and can provide a lot of potential for career growth.
MillerLatte
Have not, but would certainly entertain the idea. DM if you know somebody I can reach out to.
Cyp0111
office, retail or industrial ?
Htownag11
AG
MillerLatte
Industrial
Astroag
AG
what isn't working for you? May help people make suggestions...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
MillerLatte
Whole 1099 format and having to pay insurance out of pocket for myself, wife and kids. Hoping to find something with a bit more stability.

Happy to discuss more offline should anyone have pointers and/or leads.
tamc91
AG
I don't have stars so can't DM. One example is HDR (disclosure - my employer for 20+ yrs), that currently has several real estate and relocation agent positions open in Fort Worth. I didn't see any in Houston or Austin, but that doesn't mean there won't be something soon. We do a lot of ROW work for public / private infrastructure (water, power, roads, Class I railroads, etc.).

They have a good team of folks to work with. HDR is an employee-owned firm that has been around since 1917. Solid benefits with good employee owner ksop model (tied to 401(k)). The website is www.hdrinc.com/careers. Type in "real estate" and refine by location if you want.

There are other niche real estate acquisition firms who we work with / subcontract work out to. I'm sure some other consulting firms have similar real estate groups too and likely some in Houston, but I'm not familiar with them.
Astroag
AG
MillerLatte said:

Whole 1099 format and having to pay insurance out of pocket for myself, wife and kids. Hoping to find something with a bit more stability.

Happy to discuss more offline should anyone have pointers and/or leads.
so its not that what your doing isn't working it's being 1099/contractor that's the issue? Is that standard for the commercial real estate industry? or the real estate industry in general?

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
MillerLatte
That's the standard for real estate in general
Cyp0111
So all brokers working at the big commercial shops are 1099 ?
MillerLatte
Majority, yes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.